OB sub placement

rockdrummer

OB sub placement
« on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:21 pm »
My wife is mad at me because I spend so much time parusing through topic threads here!

Which brings me to my question.  I know the OB mains need room. I don't have a kit yet, but planning for one.  I have a 14'x25' room.  One double door open hallway on the short wall, opposite the stereo rig.  I can get the fronts up to, and alittle more than 3' away from front and side walls.  I plan on the OB 7.   I think this may be a teeny bit larger speaker than the room needs, so maybe I should adjust that, but, i digress.  I also want to change my sunfire super jr. out eventually.  I love the look of the W and H frame OB subs, but wonder where I can put them.  Can I tuck them near the corner, somewhat behind the front towers?  Are they finicky about which direction they face?  If they need to move out farther into the room, I need to look at a different sub then.  WAF is a factor, in addition to space. 

Thanks,
Ben

Danny Richie

Re: OB sub placement
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2011, 03:42 pm »
OB subs need to be more out into the room. They can be near or almost right on the side walls but have to be away from rear walls. And they do have to face you.

rockdrummer

Re: OB sub placement
« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2011, 04:08 pm »
Okay, cool.  Thanks for yet MORE info Danny. 

Grill covers to please the Wife, despite my love of naked electronics :o
And I would think about flush with the front baffle of a tower speaker would be right? 
My choice will be H frame subs, I think.

I love it when a plan comes together!
                                     John "Hannibal" Smith