Super Tweeters or other?

DonB

Super Tweeters or other?
« on: 10 Sep 2011, 02:12 am »
Currently I'm running some Omega Super 6 Alnico XRS's and really like the overall sound/performance. I however keep thinking about adding some sort of tweeter hopefully allowing me to have all that sweet mid range with and bit of sparkle on the top. I'm looking at offering's from Fostex (T90A, T925A, or T900A), Tannoy ST-50 Super Tweeters, or maybe a ribbon tweeter such as the Onix ERT. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Capt. Z

Re: Super Tweeters or other?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2011, 09:50 pm »
I no longer have my Omega speakers, but I do have a Fostex T90A which I use with my 2 speakers. They are crossed over at around 35,000 Hz in my system, so you I not hearing the full output of the tweeter, but the 'rising slope'.

In my setup it ads just enough output to make the music sound more realistic without drawing attention to itself.

Louis O

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2011, 12:02 am »
Hi Donb,

Great news and many thanks,

Super tweeters can be great and the Fostex range is very good. I would experiment with placement though. Firing them to the rear is a great way to go.

Thanks,
Louis

Louis O

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2011, 12:03 am »
Great pictures thanks again,
Louis

MttBsh

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2011, 01:16 am »
I have a pair of Cain & Cain Abbys and put in Fostex 168 drivers which normally go in the horn models - the sound was amazing but a little light in the bass so I added a Cain & Cain Bailey Sub which did an excellent job of filling out the sound, especially in the subterrainian depths. The treble was smooth but I wanted some extra sparkle so I bought a pair of Fostex T900A supertweeters, which added everything to the high end that the Bailey added to the low. I hadn't realized what I was missing and cannot listen to my system without the T900As now. The combination of the Abbys, Bailey and T900As sounds as good as any speaker system I've heard - of course I haven't heard that many.

radarnyc

« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2011, 08:19 pm »
Hey DonB
Have you decided to add a super tweeter to your omega's? Can you post some impressions and details?
Thanks

viperan

« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2012, 04:28 am »
I like this idea a lot, any updates on adding super tweeter to omega speakers?

Dr4Bob

• Don't let the Pinks get your slack...
« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2013, 05:45 pm »
I added these custom open baffle super tweeters by SIA to my Hemp Coned A6's. They use vintage Philco alnico paper coned drivers and a simple high pass filter. They do add high end sparkle to the system and imaging suffers very little. I need to match the stain on the baffles but they look much better in person compared to the photos.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2013, 09:17 pm »
Hello DonB,

Having your Super 6's in the corners could be hampering your top end, not to mention the imaging.  Even though you appear to have lovely upline equipment, I would also look there for an increase in top end such as cabling, tube rolling, etc.  Sorry to be a thistle in the wheatfield but I think your speakers are capable of very satisfying top end on their own.

Louis O

« Reply #9 on: 20 Sep 2013, 10:38 pm »
Hi Dr4Bob,

Thanks and cool setup.

Supertweeters or the OB system that you built can be very good. In the case of standard supertweeters I always go with a rear firing or up-firing setup so it does not interfere with the point source that the main driver gives. You might want to try it out. Also cabling and tube rolling can give you a different presentation too.

Thanks,
Louis