Well Tempered Reference - Cart - Benz Micro Glider SH?

mpuman

Hi all.  Just recently got a very nice WT Reference.  Now for the cart.  Always a difficult choice.  I was considering a Benz Micro Glider SH.  Mostly Jazz & Classical listening.  Anyone try this combo?  Suggestions?

gagamut

Re: Well Tempered Reference - Cart - Benz Micro Glider SH?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2011, 12:52 am »
Hi,i was using Benz mirco ebony L in my previous WT reference TT,it's really matched. :D

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2011, 01:02 am »
Hi all.  Just recently got a very nice WT Reference.  Now for the cart.  Always a difficult choice.  I was considering a Benz Micro Glider SH.  Mostly Jazz & Classical listening.  Anyone try this combo?  Suggestions?

I just picked up a WT Reference as well. Tried a Dynavector DV-20x; preferred my Grado Reference Sonata over that...

Any other suggestions from WT Reference owners??? Thanks!

Gopher

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2011, 02:30 am »
I've heard a VdH Frog sounding very good on my buddy's Classic.  I think Van den Hul in general is supposed to mate pretty well with WT stuff. 

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2011, 09:47 am »
Ortofon 2M Black works well for me.

mpuman

« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2011, 02:07 am »
thanks gagamut and the rest.  I think I'll stick with the Benz Micro... either the S CLASS Benz Micro Glider II or the Wood body version ... the ebony ??  ... seems like all to be a good match w/o breaking the bank!  Anyone listen to these 3? ... comments?

threadkiller

« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2011, 03:15 pm »
Seems to me your viewpoints are a bit skewed. Lol.  The arm will match most any cartridge, it's just you may not like a particular cartridge or it's match to the phono stage you are using. I don't really care for most of what you mentioned, but that's my ears. Good luck.

jjc1

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2011, 03:21 pm »
   I use the Glider SH witrh a Clearaudio Performance TT and the Nova Pheomena phono amp. To me it sounds great.  Can"t comment on the WT-Glider combo... never heard them together.

mpuman

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2011, 10:30 pm »
I guess that is why there are so may carts in the 600-1500 range!  I will be using the combo with my Doge 8 preamp on the MM input, so a mid output cart is desirable.  I'll dink with the loading to mate with it.  Everyone seems to have their favorite cart for one reason or another.  Technically, yes, any cart will work good with the reference arm.   I am not really stuck on anything yet ... just want to make a good educated guess ...

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2011, 04:35 pm »
I just picked up a new Clearaudio Maestro Wood for my WT Reference TT... One word ... Wow! Only played 5 LPs so far & it sounds great! It's everything my Grado Reference Sonata was but much more extension (on both ends), imaging, soundstaging, better cohesiveness from my horns, all improved, horns really sound real. In an adjoining room while listening, it seems "real", like you're in a club...

Also, what a great tracker & also very, very quiet... I thought my phono stage was pretty quiet... now it's dead silent... I must of had some slight hum attributed to the Grado...

I am told it will take 50+ hrs to break-in this new cartridge... can't wait to hear what'll it sound like then...

My $0.02,
Pete

threadkiller

« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2011, 04:42 pm »
Good to hear.  Next step, trade your reference in for an Amadeus, then you'll really be hearing things anew...

Gopher

« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2011, 04:57 pm »
I just remembered an email I had from a WTR owner with great ears.. here's an excerpt:

A Grado is probably not the ideal cartridge for this table.  The Reference table has a very smooth top end due to the damped arm and the Grado’s also have a very smooth, lush type of top end so the combination may be too polite for some, especially if your reference is a lively rising top end moving coil set-up.  My favorite reasonably priced cartridge with this was the Benz L2 cartridge which was a lower end Benz but has 90% of the more expensive Ruby. I’m not sure that they sell that model anymore but my experience is that their cartridges all have a well balanced frequency spectrum and to my ears get the music off of the album much more accurately than most of the more expensive cartridges.  You can trust their less expensive models to be very musical and a good value comparatively.  Although I’m not sure any cartridges are really a good value anymore except for some of the Grado’s.  The prices tend to be ridiculous.

sunnydaze

« Reply #12 on: 17 Oct 2011, 04:58 pm »
Hey Pete.......just wait till I come by with the Fozgo-meister and really get that sucka dialed in!  ooo-la-la!     :thumb:

Gopher

« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2011, 05:05 pm »
Hey Pete.......just wait till I come by with the Fozgo-meister and really get that sucka dialed in!  ooo-la-la!     :thumb:

He's not kidding, Pete.  Sunny and another buddy dialed in the Zu on my WTR while I was sitting on the side line, crumpled over with food poisoning.  The difference was so astounding it put me back in the game and cured my illness!  Not really, but it perked me up as the difference was profound. 

Depending on when you gentlemen schedule that session, I may try to butt in to see the before and after.  :)

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2011, 05:21 pm »

Depending on when you gentlemen schedule that session, I may try to butt in to see the before and after.  :)

Perhaps this coming Saturday afternoon if "youze" guys are available!

Thanks,
Pete

sunnydaze

« Reply #15 on: 17 Oct 2011, 05:57 pm »

I've Fozgo'ed several local guys, and getting azimuth properly dialed in never fails to impress.  This gizmo is great and very EZ to use.

:thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #16 on: 17 Oct 2011, 11:27 pm »
Yeah, gotta find someone with a Fogzo I can borrow in the Chicago area...