New martin Logan 'toys' !!

twitch54

New martin Logan 'toys' !!
« on: 9 Sep 2011, 06:44 pm »
here's the replacement for the Spire's..................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TqYzF4h2-k

the new finish looks great !

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: New martin Logan 'toys' !!
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2011, 07:40 pm »
That's a very handsome speaker, all right. 

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2011, 08:23 pm »
I really dislike corporate videos with the button up shirts and scripted dialogue. And I might also be in a minority when I say I think Martin Logans are not very attractive speakers.

(runs and hides)

SlushPuppy

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2011, 08:25 pm »
The Martin Logans I've owned in the past looked nothing like those. That's a classy looking design.

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2011, 09:50 pm »
Everyone has an individual preference but I always thought Logans looked cool and the new ones are cooler than ever.  I love the clear, curved panels and the new sub compartments are very small and nicely shaped.  The new speakers are the best looking ones Logan has ever built, IMO.  I look forward to hearing them sometime.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2011, 10:14 pm »
I just looked at some pictures of my old oak-sided ML SL-3's. They look fugly compared to the newer designs.

neekomax

« Reply #6 on: 9 Sep 2011, 10:25 pm »
I really dislike corporate videos with the button up shirts and scripted dialogue. And I might also be in a minority when I say I think Martin Logans are not very attractive speakers.

(runs and hides)

Agreed about the corporate presentation videos ...  :sleep:. Just another example of the sorry level of marketing in this industry.

Looks wise... um, haven't you just bought a pair Magnepans? I have no doubt they sound amazing, but visual aesthetics don't seem to be their strong point, in my ever so humble opinion. (Sorry bro  :?)

(Not that my SAM1s are beauty queens, either.  :wink:)

Good news is, that just means that they're both great sounding speakers, as there is a known bias for pretty gear, especially speakers.

dwk

« Reply #7 on: 9 Sep 2011, 11:32 pm »
I still think the original CLS was an absolutely beautiful speaker.  I do agree though that these may be the best looking hybrid models they've come out with.  $10k though, so they're of academic interest only.

Rclark

« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2011, 02:24 am »
I dunno. I guess it's also because big box stores carry them I can't take them seriously, plus the curved face is apparently inferior to flat in terms of absolute sonics. That and i don't like being stuck with box subs on a panel.

:)

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2011, 12:22 pm »
Their speakers border on artwork but a list price of 10 grand is really pushing it. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:23 pm »
I don't think I'll ever own ML speakers again...

I've owned my fair share but they have turned into a marketing company.  Not my cup-o-tea!

And the prices have gotten insane too.

twitch54

« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:46 pm »
I dunno. I guess it's also because big box stores carry them

really......who may I ask ?

I can't take them seriously, plus the curved face is apparently inferior to flat in terms of absolute sonics.

totally 100% BS !! who told you that........Mr Sanders ??

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:48 pm »

I thought you two were buds.   :scratch:

twitch54

« Reply #13 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:51 pm »
Their speakers border on artwork but a list price of 10 grand is really pushing it.

Actually Steve, given the 10k msrp and comparing them with other speakers in that same price range I'll bet they are a relative 'bargin'. I say that as an owner of the model they will replace (Spire) which I feel, as do alot of other supposed 'experts', are one of the best sub 10k speakers out there easily competing with units twice their cost.

twitch54

« Reply #14 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:55 pm »
I thought you two were buds.   :scratch:

JT, Rodger is a good guy, makes good gear (although the woodwork on his speakers looks as if it was done in a high school woodworking shop) but we are no more than acquiantences.

rw@cn

« Reply #15 on: 10 Sep 2011, 03:02 pm »
Sanders makes great sounding gear. :thumb: I am not a fan of the style of his speakers, but they sound great. I am not a fan of the new ML look either. That and the price led me to return to Maggies after a long hiatus.

Rclark

« Reply #16 on: 10 Sep 2011, 06:46 pm »
really......who may I ask ?

Frys!

I've seen it said in several places. Don't misinterpret me :) I wouldn't kick a free set out of bed.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #17 on: 10 Sep 2011, 07:01 pm »
I've never met a pair of MLs that I liked.  I have a pair of the Sanders' 10c right now. . .fantastic sounding speaker.  I agree that the woodwork could be improved.

Rclark

« Reply #18 on: 10 Sep 2011, 07:41 pm »
think I remember reading in the soundlabs material that a curved surface is not good because it causes uneven motion and stretching of the material when played. That's why soundlabs curves are actually segmented flat faces to eliminate this distortion.

The Roger guy had a bunch of other reasons.

plus, then you are permanently mated to that little sub box, and it is a box. I like that with the maggies I am free to choose, and ultimately I will want twin ob servo subs, not enclosed subs, and I am free to place them optimally.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 10 Sep 2011, 07:50 pm »
Twitch54,
If you do get a set please post a review.
I hope to hear a set when I finally make the trek out to see my buddy in Joisey.