How much damping are you using?

Plink

How much damping are you using?
« on: 9 Sep 2011, 01:26 pm »
With a Denon 103, I have quite a bit.  I would say about 1/3 of the ball is showing from where the top of the cup is.  The drop to the record is about two seconds...sort of like how the silicone damped Gray tonearm works.  The arm feels heavy to the touch with this arrangement.  I think it sounds best this way but I wonder if the damping is too much.  Just played a mono mercury lp and the dynamics are similar to my incredibly dynamic GE VR II, which is on a Lenco L70.  I am still getting huge dynamics and speed from my Altec Model 19s. 

Would like to compare notes with everyone, even Mike Pranka.

roscoeiii

Re: How much damping are you using?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2011, 03:37 pm »
That's pretty deep into the goop. I've read that 1/3 to 1/2 submerged is ideal (with 1/3 being most frequently recommended these days it seems, particularly for the best possible bass), but I haven't fiddled much since adjusting my VTA. Will be interested in others' experiences.

Plink

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2011, 09:48 pm »
The actual ball is about a third submerged.  My stupid description didn't communicate how much silicone is in the cup and how far the ball is submerged, which is they key bit of info.

Based on what you said, sounds like mine is about avg.  I am probably going to lower the cup, however.

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2011, 10:13 pm »
Ah, I have occasionally wondered how much goop to put in the cup, but never got around to playing with that. I would be interested to know what other WTA owners and Mike Pranka have found.

Mike Pranka

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2011, 05:11 pm »
Hi,
There isn't a set amount of fluid to put in the cup. The distance you place between the ball and the cup will affect this, slightly. Just put enough in (letting it settle) so that you have roughly a quarter to a third of the ball submerged. The arm should then have a lightly damped, but fluid feel to it when you move it around. Then you're ready to move the cup up or down in tiny increments to adjust damping. I'd use one, well balanced LP to do this.. set it and then forget it. There's no need to get too obsessive about it.

Mike