Buying used Bryston

guitarnie

Buying used Bryston
« on: 9 Sep 2011, 05:31 am »
Hate to go here.
Anytime and every time I have seen a system or studio that employed Bryston, I gave respect.
I bought a used amp, is that wrong?  I can't get any response from Mike or James on repairing my amp.
I feel like I am dealing with Sony.
I have a pair of JBL L 300's with 136a's, that I took the to one of the local  Atlanta authorized JBL Pro and residential service centers to have "JBL" cones installed.
These clowns used an aftermarket kit , cut out the accordion surround and then glued in foam.
They swore that this was JBL protocol and there was no alternative.
After numerous weeks  of shuffling between JBL Pro and consumer,  I finally got a statement from JBL refuting what the service center had stated. Thanks Alphonso Ochoa!
So about four months later, I get a refund and what where once mint 136a's, now returned from hell.
I loved those speakers, now every time I rotate them to mains..... I get pissed about all the BS I went through to have authentic OEM cones installed, I can't enjoy them anymore.
So here I am with this post, 2006 4B SST PRO powering my Dynaudio M3's with a channel out. I have no receipt so I am on my own?
I have a competent tech that can repair the amp, I really wanted to have it repaired by Bryston.
Anybody want  to buy half of a 4B SST PRO?
The perfect blend of highly advanced technology & devotion to old-world craft
What a joke
I know this will post will go to the shed

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Buying used Bryston
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2011, 10:01 am »
This sounds very strange indeed - this is not our style. -  Please email Brian Russell at Bryston or call him.  bwrussell@bryston.com

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2011, 01:39 pm »
Strange for sure.
I had bought a used Bryston 10B-sub crossover from the US,and sent her in to be checked(just cause).
Bryston replaced two knobs(paint was peeling ect)checked her out and sent her back home in a new box.
I was only charged for the box :thumb:.

af

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2011, 01:56 pm »
If I don't get a response from an e-mail I have sent...I usually call in a couple, three of days or so to see if they are on vacation or something, since in today's word, there is an un-natural expectation of a response within a few seconds...it's to bad people have to yell and hold their breath to demonstrate that no one is holding their hand...and in this case, being overly rude about it as well...it is a new generation of folks out there...is sad sometimes

af

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2011, 02:01 pm »
Mmmm.. Regarding the suspension rims, not sure about the 'cutting out' part but original rim restoration kits can be purchased directly from JBL. Which does require the use of glue and cutting out the aged / damaged rims. That's standard protocol... everything's included in the kit, replacement rims, JBL branded glues , instructions and a CD for acounstic testing.

EDIT: I used to own a pair of 4343s and it seems that the foam suspension rims will eventually eat themselves up in 5--10yrs time and they'll be gone even sooner if they're not in use and not properly sealed.

And i have confidence that James and the rest of the good peoples at Bryston will iron out the bumps.  :green:
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2011, 05:17 pm by amblin »

nikon

« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2011, 02:10 pm »
I have been using Bryston amplifiers and components for more than thirty years. I have also visited Bryston in Peterborough on several occasions for varied reasons. My experience and dealings with all the people in the company, from the president to the shipping fellow, has been very personable and professional. James has invested an immense amount of time and patience into this forum over several years and allows feedback from forum users to become actual features in new products.

The perfect blend of highly advanced technology & devotion to old-world craft

This is not just a slogan at Bryston but represents the way they 'do business'. Please be patient and allow them to demonstrate same.

Just my two cents worth  :o

Sasha

« Reply #6 on: 9 Sep 2011, 05:06 pm »
I was compelled to chime in with my experience, I had to repair Bryston piece only once (a minor problem with balance), and I got prompt response from James and Mike I believe, with repairs being completed on schedule. And I never got a question sent to James unanswered, regardless of how trivial some of them may have been.
So strange indeed, I would guess it must have been faulty technology that broke the communication (mail problems)?
On the other hand, and not related to Bryston in any way, you sometimes must leave civility aside and take more aggressive stance when you realize the danger of being taken advantage of.
It has happened to me on more than one occasion.

john1970

« Reply #7 on: 9 Sep 2011, 10:16 pm »
You are in very good hands when dealing with Bryston.  They are extremely professional and always help their customers.  I starting using Bryston components back in 2006 with a 4B SST and since then I have purchased many additional pieces.  My advice is to take a step back and relax.  Bryston always delivers for their customers.

Best,

John

lanchile

« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2011, 12:47 am »
you should calm down, Bryston stands behind all their gears. :thumb:

SoundGame

« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2011, 02:08 am »
I would highly recommend calling them - they never disappoint when you have a conversation with them.  I know for certain that Bryston can fix it - it's just whether it is covered "fully" under warranty, given circumstances of use/missuse etc.

A call to Bryston would be your best time spent on this issue.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2011, 05:08 pm »
The best bet is to call Bryston.  I emailed once or twice (on seperate instances) with no response for a few days.  It's not a huge company with a full on customer service cubicle laden office.  There's only so much a handful of people can do in a day.

Mike Pickett is a bit difficult to get a hold of by phone, as I've waited on hold for 15 minutes or so every time.  I was always offered a call back, but I chose to hold.  He's only one person, and the waiting time has always been worth it.  He'll explain everything in an easy to understand manner; no talking over your head and having you think he said a bunch of jargon to make it seem like there's nothing wrong.

Patience is a virtue (not really sure what a virtue is though!).

For the record, I bought my B60, which is the least expensive Bryston component, second hand.  I was never made to feel like I wasn't important because of either part of the equation.  Bryston is a class act, but they're only so big.  In most ways, that's a good thing.

Please, give them the benefit of the doubt for a little while longer.  I'm sure they're just a bit backlogged rather than ignoring a customer who bought second hand. 

guitarnie

« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2011, 06:19 pm »
I have sent three e-mails directly to Bryston over a three week period with no RE: other than James' RE: on this forum. I understand people being busy and I am willing to be patient.
The sitting here in the "dark", is what is bothersome to me.
I understood from the get go, that I would need to purchase original box/packing materials.
I also know from this and other forums that I should let Bryston and only Bryston repair the amp.
I will make an attempt via the phone.

As far as the JBL's, I had requested a complete re cone, not surround replacements. Basically the service center took a aftermarket cone with an accordion surround and put in a foam surround.
And then charged me over $450.00, Wrong!

SoundGame

« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2011, 07:03 pm »
I have sent three e-mails directly to Bryston over a three week period with no RE: other than James' RE: on this forum. I understand people being busy and I am willing to be patient.
The sitting here in the "dark", is what is bothersome to me.
I understood from the get go, that I would need to purchase original box/packing materials.
I also know from this and other forums that I should let Bryston and only Bryston repair the amp.
I will make an attempt via the phone.

As far as the JBL's, I had requested a complete re cone, not surround replacements. Basically the service center took a aftermarket cone with an accordion surround and put in a foam surround.
And then charged me over $450.00, Wrong!

Call Bryston and get a RA # from them.  (Return Authorization) I believe.  They will need your name, address etc.  You then ship to them in a Bryston box with that RA # as your reference point.  I have no doubt they can and will fix - not sure about the price but I know from other's experiences that it is quite reasonable from a labour / parts perspective.

Let us know how it goes once you call them - be sure to speak to someone and not leave a message. 

guitarnie

« Reply #13 on: 13 Sep 2011, 04:11 am »
Thanks everybody for "grounding" me with your encouraging words of Bryston's service to all customers.

In today's world, people who actually care are far and few.
Constant let downs from my cell carrier to vendors who could give a pile of dung if your UPS overnight order was shipped a P.O. Box!

FedEx swapping labels on my correctly labeled boxes going to NY and CO. And then asked to pay to have the NY box in CO sent back to NY and visa versa.

Sony taking 120+ days to fix a 60"

And on and on, is it just me?

Do I buy the box from Bryston directly? or is this something dealers stock?
I have no qualms whatsoever on purchasing the box.
That is an all around no brainer for transport and resale purposes.

SoundGame

« Reply #14 on: 13 Sep 2011, 10:18 am »
Thanks everybody for "grounding" me with your encouraging words of Bryston's service to all customers.

In today's world, people who actually care are far and few.
Constant let downs from my cell carrier to vendors who could give a pile of dung if your UPS overnight order was shipped a P.O. Box!

FedEx swapping labels on my correctly labeled boxes going to NY and CO. And then asked to pay to have the NY box in CO sent back to NY and visa versa.

Sony taking 120+ days to fix a 60"

And on and on, is it just me?

Do I buy the box from Bryston directly? or is this something dealers stock?
I have no qualms whatsoever on purchasing the box.
That is an all around no brainer for transport and resale purposes.

When you call them and get your RA #, you can ask Bryston to ship you a box.  The boxes, from my recollection, for a 3B were about $40+tax+shipping.  So they aren't too expensive but arn't cheap either - it's the custom fit foam inside the box that you are really paying for.  That said, it's a no-brainer with getting the box.

My understanding is that some dealers could get a new box in for you and/or let you use one of the ones they have on hand for their display amps but I'm not sure about how this goes for sure - never have done it myself.

guitarnie

« Reply #15 on: 13 Sep 2011, 10:57 am »
Thanks for the info, I can deal with $55 or so for a brand new box.
I plan to call and receive a RA or RMA.

whatsthisone

« Reply #16 on: 3 Oct 2011, 07:37 pm »
I am also a happy customer of Bryston.  I hope your experience from this point forward is as positive as mine has been. :thumb:
« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2011, 03:17 am by whatsthisone »