Super V Bass - Wiring?

JDUBS

Super V Bass - Wiring?
« on: 7 Sep 2011, 09:26 pm »
Danny, any thoughts regarding the side panels for the bass only portion of the Super V?  My builder is looking for some guidance.  He can follow the plans, but I don't know that that's necessary if aesthetics are less of a concern.  I.e., something simpler would be more ideal in my situation.

I believe they are (largely?) there to add support to the overall structure. 

Thanks,
Jim
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2011, 08:36 pm by JDUBS »

Danny Richie

Re: Super V Bass - Side Panels
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2011, 09:36 pm »
There is some flexibility to the look, but keep in mind that the sides are not just there for support. They finish out the front half of the upper woofer box and the back half of the lower woofer box. So it must fill in those areas.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2011, 09:39 pm »
I was looking at making just the ob sub cabinets.  Ruben made a pair a while back that are almost exactly what I was envisioning.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=93767.0

JDUBS

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2011, 04:21 pm »
Guys very helpful, thanks for the replies.

A couple more construction questions.  What about recessing the drivers?  They aren't recessed in the plans but I can do it if its beneficial, in this instance, sonically.

Also, how about running the wiring?  how is this handled (i.e. is there a hole in the baffle?)

Thanks again,
Jim

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2011, 05:07 pm »
Hey Jim-

Can you have your builder take pics?  I'd love to see them!

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2011, 05:42 pm »
Guys very helpful, thanks for the replies.

A couple more construction questions.  What about recessing the drivers?  They aren't recessed in the plans but I can do it if its beneficial, in this instance, sonically.

Also, how about running the wiring?  how is this handled (i.e. is there a hole in the baffle?)

Thanks again,
Jim

You can but don't have to recess the upper driver. It will have minimal effect in this design.

The subs surface mount for sure.

I am building out a pair right now and will show assembly pics including the wiring.

JDUBS

Re: Super V Bass - Wiring?
« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2011, 08:37 pm »
Guys, any detail on the wiring? and how best to accomplish it?  I need to get my builder the details by tonight.

Thanks,
Jim

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2011, 08:46 pm »
Guys, any detail on the wiring? and how best to accomplish it?  I need to get my builder the details by tonight.

Thanks,
Jim

I'll try to post some pics of the wired crossover later today.

And in the "Super-V's going to the show" thread, I'll be posting complete build pics showing everything about how it goes together.

JDUBS

« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2011, 09:13 pm »
I'll try to post some pics of the wired crossover later today.

And in the "Super-V's going to the show" thread, I'll be posting complete build pics showing everything about how it goes together.

Perfect, thanks, Danny!

-Jim :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 13 Sep 2011, 02:01 am »
See pics.  :green:

Yes, I mirrored the crossovers.

And a close up of one after adding the wiring.

And yes, that big Brown square thing is a Jupiter cap.

JDUBS

« Reply #10 on: 13 Sep 2011, 02:03 am »
Thanks Danny.  Do you have any pics of the woofers' wiring?  This is the part I need help with.

-Jim

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 13 Sep 2011, 02:07 am »
Thanks Danny.  Do you have any pics of the woofers' wiring?  This is the part I need help with.

-Jim

The kit comes with a wiring diagram.

JDUBS

« Reply #12 on: 13 Sep 2011, 02:27 am »
Even when you buy just 4 woofers and 2 amps?  That's all I bought.

I want to understand the wiring between the two woofers and how you run the wiring between the baffle.

-Jim

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 13 Sep 2011, 02:35 am »

JDUBS

« Reply #14 on: 13 Sep 2011, 02:47 am »
Wiring diagram for the servo subs: http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/V-1%20OB%20woofer%20wiring.pdf

Thanks.  How do you run the wires between the woofers?  I.e., is there a hole in the baffle?

-Jim

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 13 Sep 2011, 03:30 am »
The lower baffle has a small hole in each corner just big enough for two wires to fit through.

The there are two small holes in the rear sub box right above the two small holes in the upper corners of the lower woofer baffle.

JDUBS

« Reply #16 on: 14 Sep 2011, 02:52 am »
Danny, I assume you recommend direct wiring right into the sub amps instead of using binding posts?  We could add binding posts to tidy up the installation of the wire, but I don't want to add another connection...especially for something like the servos.

-Jim

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 14 Sep 2011, 03:11 am »
Danny, I assume you recommend direct wiring right into the sub amps instead of using binding posts?  We could add binding posts to tidy up the installation of the wire, but I don't want to add another connection...especially for something like the servos.

-Jim

I wire the servo sub connections to a SpeakOn connector so that the amp can be easily unplugged from the speaker for moving.

JDUBS

« Reply #18 on: 14 Sep 2011, 03:21 am »
I wire the servo sub connections to a SpeakOn connector so that the amp can be easily unplugged from the speaker for moving.

Good solution!  Thanks.

-Jim