audiodharma cable cooker

MikeCTM2

audiodharma cable cooker
« on: 20 Apr 2004, 06:20 am »
will my ICs (digital and otherwise) always lack a certain level of performance since i did not treat them on a cable cooker?  Or, will the same degree of performance be acheived e v e n t u a l l y through normal play?

WerTicus

audiodharma cable cooker
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2004, 11:26 am »
yeah eventually... cables imo take 100 hrs or so of play time...

nathanm

audiodharma cable cooker
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2004, 05:04 pm »
will my ICs (digital and otherwise) always lack a certain level of performance since i did not treat them on a cable cooker?

No.

Psychicanimal

audiodharma cable cooker
« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2004, 04:41 pm »
According to Jon Risch & Bob Crump, proper cable burn-in takes 30 days or so to become permanent.  This process must be done slowly and at an appropriate voltage (usually about 6V for interconnects), so that the dielectric will 'cure' and its absorption properties minimized.  The higher voltage applied by a cooker is more than what the interconnects/speaker cables will normally see.  There is no way normal use will achieve this level of burning-in, even with the help of a burn-in disc.

A few weeks ago I replaced the Phoenix Gold IC's my 1200 TT had for an identical set that Sean had fully cooked for 30 days (yes Nathan, I have had this done w/ two different sets of interconnects--I know from *experience*).  They had been sitting around for almost two years and the difference brought about by the burn-in still held, though the sound improved slightly over the next few days...

nathanm

audiodharma cable cooker
« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2004, 09:12 pm »
That is so true.  But remember - safety first!  Always make sure to check the expiration date on your cables, so they don't spoil.  I never keep cables for more than a few months as they start to sound dull and wear out after that.  Wait no, that's guitar strings.  Anyway, I'm sure the same theory still applies.  Most cooked cables will last about four years and after that they should be replaced, as should the cable cooker itself.  You might want to invest in a cable cooker cooker too, as the cooker will not perform at maximum burnosity unless it has been carefully matured electrically.  Don't rule out the gains achieved by a power cord upgrade on your cable cooker cooker either, as line noise can create permanent reflections within the cable windings, much like a seashell captures the sound of ocean waves.  Omit this and it's likely your stereo will sound like total shit.

Also, if you don't feel like waiting around you can simply purchase an inexpensive TIG welder retrofitted with RCA jacks and binding posts and use your cables for that.  However, the ultraviolet light given off is known to adversely affect the range of 8360-12,475Hz so be sure to wrap your cables in an anti-UV coating before welding.  After cooking is finished remove the cables carefully using a teflon spatula and let them cool at room temperature for at least 3 hours.  When in use make sure the barrels are not facing north for best results, and only on days when solar flare activity is low.

infiniti driver

audiodharma cable cooker
« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2004, 03:11 am »
"burnosity"

I like that :)

Also, I thought it was 12,536hz. I could be wrong...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
audiodharma cable cooker
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2004, 03:18 am »
There has just gotta be a way to work Unicorn tears into this conversation somehow.  :P