mmg attenuator bar

Rclark

mmg attenuator bar
« on: 6 Sep 2011, 09:13 pm »

Is this something I should remove? Mine came with a bar screwed in.

Berndt

Re: mmg attenuator bar
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2011, 09:31 pm »
Picture?
You talking about the steel bar that crosses the panel horizontally?

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2011, 09:49 pm »
Yeah, there's a metal bar screwed into the tweeter attenuator spot. Should this space be empty?

Chris Adams

« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2011, 10:36 pm »
If you pull the bar, you'll have no tweet. :D It will disconnect the tweeter. Pulling the bar and inserting a resistor designed to go there will attenuate the tweeter if you find it is to bright. Go to this page and click on the MMG manual. It will have all the info. http://www.magnepan.com/product_manuals

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 6 Sep 2011, 10:50 pm »
No tweeter, too, if it's not in there snug and secure.
People have done more things with replacing that big chrome staple with different wires, cables, bypassing it altogether, resistors - you name it.
For what it's worth, I'm in the no resistor, leave the staple alone camp and spend the money on more important things like music or better ancilliary equipment.

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2011, 05:57 am »
Thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure I didn't have something in there that was muting things at all. I'm extremely happy with the performance, but thought maybe something was up.

As an aside, I placed my MMG's tweeter's facing out today and have found it, I don't know if it's an improvement, but I think I do like the presentation a little more.

rw@cn

« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2011, 12:08 pm »
it was recommended to me to use the same wire as your speaker cable. I tried it and found it to be the best of the other things I tried.

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2011, 02:18 am »
.... thinking about clipping some off and trying it. I'm using Zmanastronomy's cryo'd solid copper. I think I'll try that now.

Rclark

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2011, 05:47 am »
polished and bent some of the thick thick guage copper into place replacing that metal clip.

:thumb:

rw@cn

« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2011, 11:29 am »
How does it sound?

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2011, 06:51 pm »
I gave the enthusiastic thumbs up because it worked.

The problem with the Maggie connectors is that they are extremely cumbersome to work with and it took forever to switch out the clips to cables. With that tiny allen wrench that you have to be careful with around the sock.

That said, it did seem to sound a bit nicer but I can't be certain exactly what changes had occurred. If I wanted to put more effort into it I'd spend the afternoon switching back and forth, run one normal and one with, etc.

They're getting completely modded eventually here so I'm not too hot on it.

I will say I'm still utterly blown away by these things. The sound has settled with me though, and I can already imagine what they will be like with improvements, crossover, frame, etc.

I think the key to my enjoyment is being able to run a sub and getting a very punchy sound with this combo.