Need a cheap integrated with a remote

Rclark

Need a cheap integrated with a remote
« on: 6 Sep 2011, 08:55 am »
Not sure if this is even possible.

Since Magnepans have replaced monitors in the stereo rig, I'm moving the monitors and subwoofer to the living room tv.

Amp needs to be cheap and reliable. 8ohm. Huge power not a requirement at all. I don't know, 20, 30 watts, it's for tv. Remote would be nice otherwise I'll have to control the volume at the amp, which would be a minor bummer, but liveable.

Less than $100?

mcgsxr

Re: Need a cheap integrated with a remote
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2011, 12:14 pm »
Not sure if there are many new options to suit that install.

There will be scads of used Yamaha receivers at that price point though, I see tons of those around.

If you search long enough, you  might find one of the old used digital darlings too - Panasonics, JVC's, Pioneer's or Sony ES's.

There is actually a used JVC F series hybrid digital in the classifieds here, it was very well reviewed 4-5 years back.

decal

« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2011, 12:51 pm »
Check out this Yamaha AX-470 on Audiogon.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2011, 03:45 pm »
If you can find a used or refurbished Pioneer Elite A-35R integrated ($125 - $150), it has remote control and a lower profile (4-1/2"), although for some reason the power on/off function is not on the remote.

While the NAD C315/316/320 BEE are nice reliable slim remote-controlled integrateds, even used they sell for more ($200+).

Steve

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 6 Sep 2011, 04:08 pm »
You'll have lots more options, especially at that low price point, if you look at receivers too.  Receivers might also be more accomodating of your sub.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2011, 04:16 pm »
Decal-nice find!! :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2011, 05:36 pm »
Also look into Harmon Kardon factory refirb.  IMO HK receivers, with their better than average tuners, beefy power supplies, and good sound) are near the top of the class for cheaper stuff.  The factory refirb saves about half of MSRP.

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 6 Sep 2011, 07:07 pm »
I never even considered a receiver. I suppose that's my best option.

Rclark

neekomax

« Reply #9 on: 6 Sep 2011, 07:21 pm »
I never even considered a receiver. I suppose that's my best option.

The cool thing about A/V receivers is their versatility. The last one I had had 4(!) toslink inputs, 2 digital coaxial, and tons of analog inputs. Multi channel capability, subwoofer out with bass management, and pre outs as well, so you can add audiophile amplification later on if you want. If you don't need retarded amounts of power (ie small to medium room, fairly sensitive/efficient speakers), they're a great way to go, especially for a living room. I have to admit I sometimes miss the flexibilty of my old Yamaha HT-5660 that I got used for $80. It worked really well, and still does - at my girlfriend's house  :wink:.

(The advantages of the two channel separated that I have now are more headroom for dynamic swings and transients, and a tubed preamp for a little 'warm sweetness' in the signal.)

Ericus Rex

« Reply #10 on: 6 Sep 2011, 10:40 pm »
I betcha if you posted a 'wanted - receiver under $100' thread here you'd get some offers on pretty decent sounding stuff!

R.E. the Sherwood, I'd probably be skeptical of a new receiver for your price range.  Go used!

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 7 Sep 2011, 01:09 am »
These are available for about $100 or so on eBay now:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68889.0

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 7 Sep 2011, 04:55 am »
yeah... read the 1 star reviews on the sherwood... I'll probably seek out something used on the 'gon. Noticed there's a videogon as well.

Thanks for everyone's input. Decal I think I like your suggestion the best, despite the lack of remote. I have unsophisticated needs at the moment tv wise. I have a 52" rear projector in the living room and these GR-Insignia monitors will be quite an upgrade over the tv sound.

Maybe in a few years I can do a nice plasma with some Maggie 1.6's (already hooked on the Magnepan sound).
« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2011, 07:08 am by Rclark »