Shelby+ Kroll Speakers

barkerpj

• PC -> Berkeley USB -> Berkeley DAC
Shelby+ Kroll Speakers
« on: 5 Sep 2011, 02:48 am »
Interested in the Shelby+Kroll Nano monitors, but apart from heir own website I can't find out much about them.

I was ready to pull the trigger when but then realised that the tweeters look like Tangband 25-1719S and the bass unit also could be a Tangband unit,

Just wondering if anyone had heard these monitors as the Tangband tweeter is only $33.50 from Parts express - seems a bit cheap on a pair of $2k monitors.

neekomax

Re: Shelby+ Kroll Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2011, 03:23 am »
Haven't heard 'em, they look interesting.

If you're looking for an amazing pair of monitors, no sub required, I just got some really, really good ones for $1k.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=97955.0

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2011, 05:20 pm »
Yeah, those are TB drivers.  Very few to none small speaker manufacturers have the wherewithal to manufacture their own drivers, so they pick what they think sounds the best.  I haven't heard the Shelby speakers, but note they have to be used with a subwoofer as the bass extension is quite limited.  If you buy their sub in a package it comes with a discount.  As far as cost, it looks like most of the money goes into the cabinet, perhaps the crossover as well, but I agree, seems a bit expensive for what you get.   

No matter how good or bad a speaker might be, I wouldn't spend $2000 to $3000 on speakers without hearing them first, just to make sure they were tailored to my taste.  On the other hand, they have a 30 day money back and there is something to be said about hearing them in your own home.     

rodge827

« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2011, 04:59 am »
I have a pair of the Nano Monitors and 2 Woofer Monitors that I purchased last April. :thumb:
They replaced a Lowther Medallion Horn system driven by way modded Audio Note Kits gear.
This all came about through a Shelby + Kroll Woofer Monitor ad on Agon.
I was searching for a sub to augment the lower end of my Medallions and came across the ad. So I went to the S/K  site and gave Tim Kroll a call. Tim is a great guy, has been around for a while, and talked to me at length about his product and it's design. As luck would have it he had recently sold a pair to a guy in NW Jersey and helped to set up an audition. It took me about 15mins of listening to know that I wanted a complete monitor/woofer combo.
I was lucky enough to purchase my S/K speakers as b-stock for a deep discount. I sold the Lowthers and AN Kits gear, and drive them with an ATC SIA2-150 amp, Buffalo Dac, 47 Labs Flatfish Trans, and all DNM wire.

Anyway, these are the the most natural sounding speakers I have owned. The sound stage and imaging is spooky good. No head in vice listening here! On axsis, off axsis, nearfield, and "normal" listening distance (cardas triangle) these things just sound great!
They aren't designed to "peel you face off", but will deliver dynamics and tonal quality that will have you forgetting how long you are listening. I have never had more fun listening to music than I have with my S/K combo. :D

The Shelby + Kroll Monitors perform way above their price point, and as b-stock are a steal for what you do get. I feel it would be very difficult to find some thing at this price point that can come close.

Call Tim directly from the number on his site. He was having e-mail trouble due to a lightning strike, and would rather talk than write anyway. He can describe the nitty gritty of his design better than I can. Drop me a pm with a phone number if you want to discuss anything more about them. I find it difficult to express myself in writing and a vocal conversation is where it is at for me.

Chris

This is an old pic, the set up is a lot different now.

barkerpj

« Reply #4 on: 6 Sep 2011, 04:01 pm »
rodge827 - thx for the reply although it looks like your previous post with different photos.

Anyone else heard these speakers yet?

rodge827

« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2011, 10:45 pm »
although it looks like your previous post with different photos.

:scratch: What post?  :scratch:

barkerpj

« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2011, 01:28 pm »
Can't remember now. probably on Audiogon forum or a similar site.

rodge827

« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2011, 03:07 pm »
Yes it would be on Audiogon.
This was the first on AC. :D

ken

« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2011, 06:39 pm »
I also have a pair of the Nano monitors.  I took a chance on them after speaking with Chris and  extensive conversations with Tim Kroll who also happened to be very accomodating.  I'm only listening to mine with a cheapy Yamaha receiver but I can attest these are some of the most detailed natural sounding speakers I've heard and they're not even fully broken in yet.  I'm chomping at the bit to hear what these are going to sound like with better amplification and the woofer monitor :drool:  Like Chris states the soundstage is everywhere and there really is no bad seat in the house.

I'm not sure where the drivers are sourced but I do know the tweeter is a non-resonant damped, terminated tapered tube tweeter

Tim has personally told me that these have been compared to and in most cases sound and are voiced better than many much higher priced speakers and I believe him.