Suggestions for liner notes, additional album art, etc.

joeriz

Just wondering what folks with music servers are doing (if anything) to store and display liner notes and album art other than the front cover.  I've seen some ideas searching around the web but nothing I'd consider 'slick' or easy to use.  It would be great to have a solution that would capture the fun one used to get (or still gets) with a vinyl album in terms of being able to view art and read liner notes.

(Before someone says "go back to vinyl" I do still own and play vinyl.  8) )

To be specific, I'm less concerned about where to find additional album art and liner notes than I am with being able to easily display them.  Obviously, one could just store them in jpg files in the folders where the music resides as is done with cover art.  But clicking through a series of jpg files isn't exactly what I'd consider a friendly solution.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on this?

Thanks,
Joe

firedog

Re: Suggestions for liner notes, additional album art, etc.
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2011, 05:23 am »
Some players/software (Squeezebox, Foobar) have plugins or features that allow you to view notes, covers, and even reviews from sites like all music.com. If you control your server through a smartphone or tablet it is a pretty useful solution.

Although I will say the only thing I miss about LPs are the covers, inserts, and booklets. Covers were big enough that interesting cover art could be used and detail still seen, inserts and booklets had enough space to make it enjoyable to read liner notes or lyrics. On those little CD booklets it is a chore (and my eyesight is 20/20).

toddbagwell

Re: Suggestions for liner notes, additional album art, etc.
« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2011, 10:14 am »
This video might give you some ideas for what you can achieve with the iTunes software, and might help you figure out a way to make something similar happen on your system.

Skip to 6.30 of the video for what Chris of ComputerAudiophile.com does with his liner notes.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/How-Convert-HDtracks-FLAC-High-Resolution-Downloads-and-Add-iTunes-Video-Commentary

todd