One channel is lower in volume than the other in my Bugle

Draal

Hi, my Bugle is almost complete except for one issue.   I've been trouble shooting my left channel which is still lower in volume than the right.  I've reflowed suspect joints (damn, my 42 year old eyes!) but I wanted to see if there are some other likely culprits to cause the volume difference.

I've switched my op amps with spares and changed cables. No change.  I've run the cables and speakers through a cd set up and the volume appears equal. Any help is appreciated  :(.

poty

Re: One channel is lower in volume than the other in my Bugle
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2011, 12:52 pm »
If the left channel works  - then I can think only about two possibilities:
- wrong values of the amplifying-set resistors (R5, R6, R3, R4, R1, R2);
- some problems with input or output connections (including loading resistor R17 and safety resistors R12, R7).

You can check the first problem by comparing the values of the resistors from left and right channels. The second problem can be resolved by checking the resistance as seen from the input (should be around 48k if you do not use R16 slot) and the output (should be around 14.8k).

Can you hear any difference in tonality?

Draal

Re: One channel is lower in volume than the other in my Bugle
« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2011, 04:17 pm »
Problem solved!  Found some antique jeweler's magnifiers and touched up my soldering yet again; including a rather dull looking joint on the output jack.  Third time's the charm indeed  :D.  Thank you for the tips!