Denon DL 103 R. Any users here?

bauzace50

Denon DL 103 R. Any users here?
« on: 31 Aug 2011, 03:04 am »
Hi,

I had some unexpected extra funds recently, and decided to bring a mate to my neglected transformer, the Denon Au-300 LC.

So, the Denon DL 103 R came solidly up after many many many owners' testimonials in high praise of this model!
Are there any users of this model here?  What has been your experience of it?

My unit will arrive around the first week of September, 2011.  High praise precedes it, and I am looking forward to it...despite two highly curious details: high playback pressure, and conical tip. :?:

If you have experience with this cartridge, please share your testimonial.

Thankyou,
bauzace50

analognut

Re: Denon DL 103 R. Any users here?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2011, 11:52 pm »
I have used one on my SME V/ Sota Star. It is a great sounding cart. I really liked it.

djbnh

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2011, 12:35 am »
Run it w/modded Rega P25. Not the last word in refinement nor would I expect the 103R to be at its price. However, toe tapping engaging music, pretty good depth / imaging soundstage, etc. are in your future.

bacobits1

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2011, 01:10 am »
I run a DL103R on a modded P5. Very nice, non offending cartridge. Good PRAT, natural sounding cartridge. Going into a Jasmine LP2.0 MKII Phono. No step-up trannie. 70db gain on the MC side of the Jasmine.

The RB 700 tonearm has a threaded 3g weight added on the cartridge end and a Groovetracer counterweight that adds extra mass to the tonearm and works very well. I have not gotten to customizing the DL103R, yet.
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2011, 11:57 am by bacobits1 »

hondo

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2011, 11:47 am »
I use modified DL103R's with 12" Schick tonearms and Yamamoto ebony headshells.  The 103 loves them.  Prior to acquiring the Schicks, I used modified Rega and Jelco tonearms.  Adding mass to these tonearms helped me.  One simple way is to use Soundsmith EZ-Mount screws (brass or stainless).  I’m into removing the 103 plastic shell and using different bodies.  This can be a major improvement.  The Soundsmith $250 retipping is also another improvement.   It is also a way to salvage a damaged cartridge. 

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2011, 12:43 pm »
Run it w/modded Rega P25. Not the last word in refinement nor would I expect the 103R to be at its price. However, toe tapping engaging music, pretty good depth / imaging soundstage, etc. are in your future.

Are you adding more mass to the arm....or does the 600 arm work OK with the Denon?