Loudness Control

ZLS

Loudness Control
« on: 30 Aug 2011, 10:03 pm »
    If this has been asked before, please point me in the right direction. 

I listen almost exclusively to playlists I have created.  The difficulty with this is that different songs from different CDs were recorded at different volumes.  Therefore I use preamps with a remote volume control.  Has anybody had any exxperience in using the pure music of Itunes volume leveling settings? 
I learned when I first got into computer based audio to do as little to the signal as possible.  I would try to experiment on my own, but am afraid that I would not be able to undo any change that I might make. 
    Thanking all in advance for your help.   

neekomax

Re: Loudness Control
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2011, 10:23 pm »
I posted a similar question some time back. This is what I remember learning about iTunes and volume control.

1) The latest versions of iTunes (10.7 and up) have dithered volume control. That means that it performs recalculations to compensate for data loss. So you could use it. But remember, you are losing data when you turn it down from max, especially when you turn it down a lot, and you may notice a loss in sound quality the lower you go.

2) Most people recommend leaving the volume slider at maximum, and using your preamp to adjust the volume.

3) Using the track-specific volume adjustment in the 'Get Info' window is not recommended. Nor are 'Sound Check' or 'Sound Enhancer' functions recommended.

Hope that answers your question...  :)

neekomax

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2011, 10:26 pm »

ZLS

« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2011, 10:33 pm »
 :D Thanks  :D