Clarinet Rectifier Tube

bregez

Clarinet Rectifier Tube
« on: 30 Aug 2011, 03:07 am »
Not so much of a question as an observation.  I started out with a Sovtek 5Y3GT rectifier tube and it took about 5 seconds for the LED to change from red to green.  I have since decided to roll an old rectifier tube (RCA clear top) that tested great into the mix and and now it takes a fraction of a second to turn from red to green.  I don't have a question here other than has other people observed this?  As far as acoustics they are the same, the sovtek appears so much more robust than the RCA.  A lot more surface area.

Brad

GRD

Re: Clarinet Rectifier Tube
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2011, 03:40 am »
The Sovtek is indirectly heated so it takes some time to heat up and start to conduct.  The RCA is directly heated so starts to conduct in a few seconds.

bregez

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2011, 12:25 am »
Thanks GRD.
That makes complete sense.  The place where I work was disposing of some old tube equipment and I saved all the glass and transformers.  There was a couple of 5Y3's so I tried some swapping.  The appearance between the old vs. new got my curiosity.  The new production tube seems to have a lot more plate surface, now I understand why.
Brad

sushimaster

« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2011, 07:51 pm »
I have a NOS Sylvania 5Y3GT.
My Clarinet takes about 1.5 seconds to turn from red to green.
Although I have no experience with other rectifier tubes on the Clarinet.