No love for the Beacon One?

roymail

• Roy in TX
No love for the Beacon One?
« on: 28 Aug 2011, 02:01 am »
Most of the preamp love seems to go to the Beacon Two.  So I'm wondering what the Beacon One has to offer in terms of sonics and performance as compared to the Beacon Two?

The website states, Beacon One has the capacity to convey every nuance within your music precisely and with unusually low circuit processing. This is single stage amplification at its best.

I'm wondering if the Beacon One will deliver the tonal sweetness that tube preamps are known for by using a single 12AU7 or 12AX7?

Thanks for helping me understand this better!

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: No love for the Beacon One?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2011, 11:40 am »
The Beacon One is actually 75% of a beacon Two: Output coupling and input circuits as well as the volume circuit are exactly the same. What's changed between the two models is the number of tubes. In fact, both units use a regulated DC filament supply as well.

I love this preamp and have not spent enough time representing it, so I thank you for bringing it up.

Our Beacon One uses a streamlined circuit that was designed to use the tube perfectly, within a set of parameters that will create the most transparent amplification possible. This is a sweet sounding preamp that will interface with any amp.

In fact, I have a combo up for sale: Beacon One + SS-500 soild state amplifier. The Beacon One acts as the ideal interface between amp and source. This hybrid system provides ample current for low efficiency speakers. The combo works perfectly with high efficiency speakers as well due to an extremely low noise output and smooth, linear response.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2011, 07:41 pm »
Blair, thanks very much for the additional information and explanation regarding the the Beacon One and it's capability. If you ever decide to send a Beacon One on tour, I'd love to hear it in my system.  :D

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Lots love for the Beacon One!
« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2011, 01:25 pm »
I agree that a tour is a good idea.

A favorite upgrade option is our switchable amplification/buffer mode. I designed this so that the actual circuit is changed at the flip of a switch instead of going the easy route and switching in an attenuator. Buffer mode provides twice the volume control travel of amplification mode and is a much better interface between amp and source than a passive.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2011, 02:36 pm »
A favorite upgrade option is our switchable amplification/buffer mode. I designed this so that the actual circuit is changed at the flip of a switch instead of going the easy route and switching in an attenuator. Buffer mode provides twice the volume control travel of amplification mode and is a much better interface between amp and source than a passive.

Don't all preamps buffer the input signal to assure proper impedance matching?  Or, am I misunderstanding the purpose of your "buffer mode switch"?

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2011, 02:41 pm »
The term buffer in this case refers to unity gain. If the preamp received 1 volt, one volt will be at the output. The preamp in amplification mode serves the same purpose as a buffer in regards to impedance matching and it has the ability to amplify.

Buffer mode is nice if you enjoy allot of volume control travel and do not want to loose the benefits of an active circuit.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2011, 12:45 pm »
One more question, why only one 12AU7?  Most of the time I see two of them, I'm guessing that is one for each channel.

Why not just one 6SN7 on the Beacon Two?

Don't get my wrong, I like things simple, just curious.  Thanks for taking the time.  :D

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2011, 01:06 pm »
The model numbers are based on how many tubes a preamp has. The Beacon One has one tube, Two has two tubes and so on. A Beacon One can be made to use 6SN7's.

A Beacon Two can produce 100% more outgoing current than a Beacon One because it uses a single ended parallel output circuit.

Interesting fact: My single ended parallel amplifiers are designed off the same principle.

Good to know: The quality of the components used in manufacturing is the same for everything I make. All that changes are the capabilities. I believe it it good to know that a less expensive unit is not made less expensively.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2011, 01:35 pm »
The model numbers are based on how many tubes a preamp has. The Beacon One has one tube, Two has two tubes and so on.

Duh... :duh:

A Beacon One can be made to use 6SN7's.

What advantage would there be to using a 6SN7 over a 12AU7?  Would the 6SN7 produce more heat?  :nono:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2011, 09:42 pm »
Duh... :duh:

What advantage would there be to using a 6SN7 over a 12AU7?  Would the 6SN7 produce more heat?  :nono:
Quote: What advantage would there be to using a 6SN7 over a 12AU7?
Good question?? :scratch:

guest1632

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2012, 12:19 pm »
The Beacon One is actually 75% of a beacon Two: Output coupling and input circuits as well as the volume circuit are exactly the same. What's changed between the two models is the number of tubes. In fact, both units use a regulated DC filament supply as well.
Ok, so what are the sonic differences between the two? A guess ... a more full bodied sound maybe more detail because the tubes are running in parallel?

Are the differences day and night, or day to dusk?

Also, in another thread you have a Beacon 1 with a 6SN7 tube? So what are the differences there in terms of sonics and level of detail?

Ray Bronk

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2012, 03:09 pm »
Running a dual triode in parallel within a low impedance circuit produces a rich, full bodied sound that has a very low noise level and plenty of oomph to drive anything.

I used "A" because either 12AU7's or 6SN7's can be driven with the elements paired up.

The same procedure is used in my SEP amplifiers to achieve substantially higher performance over traditional single tube SE designs.

12AU7 vs 6SN7: I do not see much of a difference sonically. They're both great tubes. I prefer the 12AU7 in the Beacon One because it has a 12V filament where a 6SN7 is 6V. Wiring-wise: I prefer using octal sockets to 9 pin miniatures.

Heat: The 6SN7 produces a little more heat, but not enough to mention. In my design both tubes run cool.