Big Red Machine

Re: Salk Speakers and class d amp
« Reply #20 on: 2 Sep 2011, 03:28 pm »
What are you running now Big Red...?

TRL Samson mono blocks

revrob

« Reply #21 on: 3 Sep 2011, 06:47 pm »
I have the HT3 mated with Wyred SX-1000 mono blocks and a Purity Audio preamp. It is a great combination. The HT3 demand power and even the 500 watts / side sometimes do not appear to be enough. The Wyred amps are a great value and highly recomended. Very smooth and never run of steam, they will make the HT3s rock.

I would recomend a tube preamp with the Salks to bring out the best sound, IMHO.

Steve

srb

« Reply #22 on: 3 Sep 2011, 07:06 pm »
The HT3 demand power and even the 500 watts / side sometimes do not appear to be enough. ..... Very smooth and never run of steam, they will make the HT3s rock.

Well, that's interesting.  The HT3 is a 4 Ohm nominal speaker and the SX1000 can deliver > 1100W/ch into 4 Ohms.  You say that sometimes they do not appear to be enough, yet that they never run out of steam.  So they do sometimes run out of steam?

I know they're 84dB speakers, but I would think that would always be more than enough power, unless you're maybe trying to fill a gymnasium sized room.

Steve

revrob

« Reply #23 on: 3 Sep 2011, 07:19 pm »
What I meant to say that no matter what you throw at the HT3's it will handle it. It always "appears" to either want more power or it can handle more power. It is a remarkable speakers.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #24 on: 3 Sep 2011, 07:23 pm »
What I meant to say that no matter what you throw at the HT3's it will handle it. It always "appears" to either want more power or it can handle more power. It is a remarkable speakers.

I never found their limits.  Everything I threw at them, they laughed at.

fsimms

« Reply #25 on: 3 Sep 2011, 07:32 pm »
Well, that's interesting.  The HT3 is a 4 Ohm nominal speaker and the SX1000 can deliver > 1100W/ch into 4 Ohms.  You say that sometimes they do not appear to be enough, yet that they never run out of steam.  So they do sometimes run out of steam?

I know they're 84dB speakers, but I would think that would always be more than enough power, unless you're maybe trying to fill a gymnasium sized room.

I have heard it said that D class amps often don’t handle reactive or dynamic loads as well as some more conventional amps do.  Amps are rated with static resistive loads.  This wouldn’t mean that class D amps are bad, it just means that they might not always deliver as much power to a speaker as their rating would indicate.

I am speaking about more than I know so if there is somebody more knowledgeable then please speak up.

Bob

revrob

« Reply #26 on: 3 Sep 2011, 11:34 pm »
Bob,

Good point. I have seen various amps including Pass and few highly rated integrated not push the HT3s to their limit. I am sure there is one but the Wyred amp are pretty good and stable.

I am sure other have had more experience than I have so I will leave it to them to chime.

Peace
Steve

vermont99

« Reply #27 on: 4 Sep 2011, 01:11 pm »
They are not class D amps but I am powering my HT3’s with two Emotiva XPA-1 mono-blocks and they sound amazing.

Warpdrv

• There's NO ESCAPING the SoundScape !!
« Reply #28 on: 4 Sep 2011, 02:12 pm »
For less then $600, I'd be curious as to how a Yamaha P3500 would do for the HT3's or something a bit more demanding then my Non full range SS bookshelf speakers...

The Fans rarely, if ever come on with these P Series amps...
P3500s
Watts/Side @ 8 ohms     390W
Watts/Side @ 4 ohms    590W

I've experienced a P7000s bridged at 4ohms pushing 4200w in the chain running an 18" TC-Sounds LMS driver and its nothing but spectacular and accurate, with the large and not the most efficient moving mass of that cone. Obviously its a sub and not a full range speaker, but they are still extremely great quality amps and I'd be curious how they sounded to people... 

Plus it sure wouldn't cost all that much to try on the speakers - nothing like the $2-3K investing in some of these boutique amps

bummrush

« Reply #29 on: 4 Sep 2011, 02:27 pm »
Any quality speaker craves power

matt_garman

« Reply #30 on: 6 Sep 2011, 10:32 pm »
Any thoughts on the Outlaw Audio Model 2200 Monoblocks?

300 Watts at 4 Ohms, $350 each.

I've never used them, but for the price they seem appealing.

ccotenj

« Reply #31 on: 6 Sep 2011, 10:35 pm »
Any quality speaker craves power

why would the "quality" of the speaker matter?  "required power" is a function of efficiency/impedance/preferred listening level/room size.   "quality" has nothing to do with it...

Big Red Machine

« Reply #32 on: 6 Sep 2011, 10:54 pm »
Any thoughts on the Outlaw Audio Model 2200 Monoblocks?

300 Watts at 4 Ohms, $350 each.

I've never used them, but for the price they seem appealing.

Run, do not walk away for 2 channel mains work.  Dry and a very utilitarian amp.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #33 on: 6 Sep 2011, 11:01 pm »
For less then $600, I'd be curious as to how a Yamaha P3500 would do for the HT3's or something a bit more demanding then my Non full range SS bookshelf speakers...

The Fans rarely, if ever come on with these P Series amps...
P3500s
Watts/Side @ 8 ohms     390W
Watts/Side @ 4 ohms    590W

I've experienced a P7000s bridged at 4ohms pushing 4200w in the chain running an 18" TC-Sounds LMS driver and its nothing but spectacular and accurate, with the large and not the most efficient moving mass of that cone. Obviously its a sub and not a full range speaker, but they are still extremely great quality amps and I'd be curious how they sounded to people... 

Plus it sure wouldn't cost all that much to try on the speakers - nothing like the $2-3K investing in some of these boutique amps

Been tried before.  Not recommended for best sound.  You don't need boutique amps - look at McCormack, Wyred, Herron, AVA.  Can't beat the new AVA hybrid amps from what I am hearing.

BikeWNC

« Reply #34 on: 7 Sep 2011, 01:31 am »
Been tried before.  Not recommended for best sound.  You don't need boutique amps - look at McCormack, Wyred, Herron, AVA.  Can't beat the new AVA hybrid amps from what I am hearing.

Have you had a chance to hear the new AVA amps yet?  Do you intend to give them an audition?  I'm in the same boat as the Op.  I need new amps to power my HT3s. 

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #35 on: 7 Sep 2011, 04:11 pm »
Have you had a chance to hear the new AVA amps yet?  Do you intend to give them an audition?  I'm in the same boat as the Op.  I need new amps to power my HT3s.

I have not heard the new FetValve 600R hybrid Amp, but I wish I could. I am also interested in this Amp:

300 watts per channel @ 8 ohms     600 watts per channel @ 4 ohms  8)

Exicon double die power mos-fets

two ECC81 / 12AT7 tubes

ground lift switch

for $2949   :D

Try to match those qualities to another amp and see what the other amp cost !

Big Red Machine

« Reply #36 on: 7 Sep 2011, 04:22 pm »

I will borrow Jim's 600 after he gets to use it for a few weeks!!  He says it does a great job on the soundscapes.