Anybody using a home built sandbox for isolation?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 18 Apr 2004, 07:51 pm »
What material did you use to build the box?  The plinth?

How deep did you make it?

What type of sand did you use?

I am off this week and thinking of building one or two to try.  I really love the Timbernation platforms (I am using them under my 201's), but last week was a rough one financially and I won't be able to buy more platforms for a while.

George

Christof

Maple sand boxes
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2004, 04:53 pm »
George,

I made some sand boxes by constructing open boxes 9"x 16"x 3" WLD from solid maple.  I used play sand which was baked in the oven at 400* for about 3 hours to kill any schtuff lurking in it.  Then filled the boxes 2" deep with sand. I used an open cell adhesive backed foam about 3/4" wide and applied to the inside of the box above the sand level.  This foam was about 1/4" thick but compressed easily to 1/8".  My top platform was 1/4" smaller than the inner dimensions of the box so the foam made a loose gasket.   The top platform sat about 1/8" below the outer box to help prevent the amp from ever being knocked off by some drunken idiot.  3/4" spikes on the bottom to polish it off.  

c.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2004, 04:59 pm »
George,

Have you seen Chris Brady's (Teres Audio) sand box shelving?  He has the instructions on how he did it.  Looks really sharp too.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2004, 05:05 pm »
No I haven't.

Do you a link?

George

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2004, 05:33 pm »