New 3-Way MTWW
« on: 25 Aug 2011, 10:33 pm »

Ask Rick for details

« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2011, 10:21 pm by happyrabbit »

ttan98

Re: New 3-Way MTWW
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2011, 11:41 pm »
Hi,

Is there a particular reason to go with  the arrangement,  MTWW instead of TMWW the traditional approach?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2011, 01:01 am »
Hi,

Is there a particular reason to go with  the arrangement,  MTWW instead of TMWW the traditional approach?

I have used this type of layout in the Peridot and RC4 with great results. It also is better given the design of the cabinet (OEM from the same factory that builds for Dynaudio and others).

kip_

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2011, 01:54 am »
Are these using the MA-1 mystery woofers? They look like 7" or 8" to me

GaryB

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2011, 06:22 pm »
I don't think Rick will be upset if I tell you that yes, they are the same 7" woofers as in the MA-1.  I figured out what they were a while ago (and am considering having Rick use them in a new CC design)... so can anyone else. :wink:

happyrabbit

« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2011, 12:45 am »
Tre Sumpremo's baby sista

« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2011, 10:21 pm by happyrabbit »

jonbee

« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2011, 05:01 am »
Beautiful speakers.
FWIW- I've found Zu Libtecs work very well with my Tempestas. You can get them from Zu regularly  on ebay for a bit over $200/8ft, which is a bargain. Probably the best cables I've had, and I've had LOTS. Very clear, very open and dynamic, yet balanced and very clean.

jonbee

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2011, 02:24 pm »
I've used the Clear Day dbl shotguns in the past. Excellent cables. The speakers look great and I'm sure they sound fabulous.

GaryB

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2011, 05:49 pm »
To the person who sent me this PM:

Hi
Would you mind telling me the7" woofer that is in your speakers.  I have been trying to figure it out but can't seem to match it up with anything.  Great looking speakers and design.
Thanks a Heap

The pictured speakers are not mine (as is clear to anyone who takes the time to read the few short posts in this thread) and out of respect for Rick, I will not reveal the make/model of the woofer before he does.

I am responding in this way (without revealing the sender of the PM) since as far as I can see, the forum software doesn't give me a way to respond directly (and privately) to PMs, possibly until I have posted more.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2011, 07:35 pm »
To the person who sent me this PM:

The pictured speakers are not mine (as is clear to anyone who takes the time to read the few short posts in this thread) and out of respect for Rick, I will not reveal the make/model of the woofer before he does.

I am responding in this way (without revealing the sender of the PM) since as far as I can see, the forum software doesn't give me a way to respond directly (and privately) to PMs, possibly until I have posted more.

Thanks for keeping it confidential. Often I find another speaker company using the same drivers after I've implemented them in a design. As they say imitation is the best form of flattery... :lol:

Sad to say some DIY guys are also looking for free information, often forgetting that this is how I make my living. I recently had someone asking me about a design I did so he could have Dennis Murphy copy it for him to build - unbelievable!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2011, 07:39 pm »
Thanks for keeping it confidential. Often I find another speaker company using the same drivers after I've implemented them in a design. As they say imitation is the best form of flattery... :lol:
Care to share?

Sad to say some DIY guys are also looking for free information, often forgetting that this is how I make my living. I recently had someone asking me about a design I did so he could have Dennis Murphy copy it for him to build - unbelievable!

rbfletch

« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2011, 08:06 pm »
What can you share with us regarding these speakers?  Are they a standard offering with trial period?  Cost?  Specs?  Positioning with respect to Tempesta?  Thanks. :D

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #12 on: 23 Sep 2011, 03:36 pm »
Care to share?

That guy in Michigan... Earl  :lol:

Seriously, they know who they are so I don't need to call them out.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 23 Sep 2011, 03:39 pm »
That guy in Michigan... Earl  :lol:
I would highly doubt that!

Seriously, they know who they are so I don't need to call them out.
Then why mention Dennis?  If he wasn't involved why drag his name into it? 

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2011, 03:45 pm »
I would highly doubt that!
Then why mention Dennis?  If he wasn't involved why drag his name into it?

I know Dennis and he's a good guy. The person who called me was probably trying to get Dennis to do some free work on a crossover while "borrowing" from my design.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 23 Sep 2011, 03:47 pm »
I know Dennis and he's a good guy. The person who called me was probably trying to get Dennis to do some free work on a crossover while "borrowing" from my design.

Then I guess all is good.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #16 on: 23 Sep 2011, 05:22 pm »
What can you share with us regarding these speakers?  Are they a standard offering with trial period?  Cost?  Specs?  Positioning with respect to Tempesta?  Thanks. :D

Yes, a 45-day trial period. The cost is $3,995/pr. including shipping to the mainland USA. 4-ohm load, excellent bass extension (-3db @42hz and only -10db @25hz). Tonality is different than the Tempesta with a warmer sound. Available in cherry,maple, and black ash.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #17 on: 24 Sep 2011, 02:03 am »
Then I guess all is good.

All is very good.  I never heard anything from this dude whoever he was.  And if I had, I would have told him to buy the speaker from Rick.  It's amazing how many people equate "DIY" with "Free Ride."   

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #18 on: 24 Sep 2011, 04:49 pm »
All is very good.  I never heard anything from this dude whoever he was.  And if I had, I would have told him to buy the speaker from Rick.  It's amazing how many people equate "DIY" with "Free Ride."   

What was strange is that he also mentioned building your Philharmonic design - is a kit available?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #19 on: 24 Sep 2011, 07:37 pm »
What was strange is that he also mentioned building your Philharmonic design - is a kit available?

Now I know who that was.  He's been asking a lot of people for a lot of things.  There's no kit available.  I don't think it would save people enough to make it worthwhile--too many expensive components.