Is the first gen Apple TV really all that bad?

cpalcott

Is the first gen Apple TV really all that bad?
« on: 25 Aug 2011, 01:46 am »
...in comparison to a Mac Mini? I am not making a statement, I really am asking the question? I do have an Apple TV Gen 1 and have been considering upgrading to a Mac Mini. But with all this talk of busting down the Mac Mini (turning off services and whatnot, Mach2 modifications) It just seems to me that we go through all the trouble to simplify the mini, when isn't the Apple TV already that simple. Granted, it does not have a very fast processor or very much memory, but if a guy were only using 16/44.1 lossless or uncompressed tracks, is there really that much difference? I know the optical out is noted to be relatively high in jitter, but combined with a good jitter removing device (Monarchy DIP, Behringer SRC2496), couldn' this work pretty well? Any experience?

neekomax

Re: Is the first gen Apple TV really all that bad?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2011, 02:06 am »
Interesting question. I, too, live in 16/44 land for the most part (a few SACDs, but not crazy about my player). I stream to an ATV2 or go USB into my 16/44 DAC, mostly from my MBP. It works, it's convenient, sounds good, but I'm always curious about upsampling, better DACs, etc. From all the talk around here, you'd imagine we are missing out, no? How to know...? :scratch: