What are you using as a Phono Interconnect?

Wayner

Re: What are you using as a Phono Interconnect?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jan 2012, 10:13 pm »
I'm using my own cables made from RG-6 and gold plated RCA compression fittings. The cable is foil and braid with a 18awg center, solid conductor. 50pf capacitance for a 1 meter cable (rivals Bluejeans).

Wayner

twitch54

« Reply #21 on: 14 Jan 2012, 01:44 am »
John, that should not be...I use my cables on my VPI 10.5 tonearm without issue...cable.
Tuan

using Tuan's cable as well, couldn't be happier. Then again I live in the sticks here in 'Pennsyltucky' !

also given the Op's Grado choice, ther's always a concern for 'hum' , correct ???...........

mikecole

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jan 2012, 12:21 pm »
I'm using a Vista phono preamp and using Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 interconnects. I'm very happy with this combination.

I am also using this combo. Well made stuff for not much money.

Delta Wave

« Reply #23 on: 14 Jan 2012, 12:28 pm »
I've been using Ultimate Cables and I dig them. To me, they sound a lot better than the AudioQuest cables I was using before, and quite a bit cheaper. I'm sure they're not the "ultimate cables of the universe" but they work well for my set up.

http://www.ultimatecables.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_67_71

Wayner

« Reply #24 on: 14 Jan 2012, 03:17 pm »
using Tuan's cable as well, couldn't be happier. Then again I live in the sticks here in 'Pennsyltucky' !

also given the Op's Grado choice, ther's always a concern for 'hum' , correct ???...........

It depends on output. .5 or 5 mv.

Wayner

Sonny

« Reply #25 on: 14 Jan 2012, 03:23 pm »

Wayner

Wayner, well, this is Tuan, I live in Oakland, across the bay from San Francisco, I have T-mobile towers amongst other radio and cell towers three stories up above my loft...I use a Shelter 901 with a .5mv output, no ho hum or buzz or anything in my system...I really think for me, it's not the RF or EMI, it's really something to do with system grounding.  I've never picked up a radio station like I did when I used Anticables at one point...

Anyways, those of you who want to give my cables a try, PM me!
I can tell you that the sound will be very very different from your Blue Jeans Cables...and the difference may be better!   :thumb:
Tuan

putz

« Reply #26 on: 14 Jan 2012, 04:01 pm »

Wayner

My Grado is 5 mv. I am looking at adding a MC cart, probably a Dyna DV20?? in the 1 mv range in the near future.

Are hum issues more prevalent with lower output carts? Of course Grados also have known  issues although I just get a very slight hum on mine, mostly when I'm cleaning the stylus and not audible at all when spinning vinyl.

putz

« Reply #27 on: 14 Jan 2012, 04:10 pm »
Wayner, well, this is Tuan, I live in Oakland, across the bay from San Francisco, I have T-mobile towers amongst other radio and cell towers three stories up above my loft...I use a Shelter 901 with a .5mv output, no ho hum or buzz or anything in my system...I really think for me, it's not the RF or EMI, it's really something to do with system grounding.  I've never picked up a radio station like I did when I used Anticables at one point...

Tuan

Here's my far backyard in suburban NJ. Good news is we probably don't have to worry about lightning strikes:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #28 on: 14 Jan 2012, 07:37 pm »
Tuan/Wayner,

Good point(s) I forgot about.  I use a high output Denon DL-160vdH on my VPI Classic.  Those of you that prefer low output cartridges may find Tuan/Sonny's cable perfectly suitable. 

It really sounds great with line level sources for me. Btw, I'm not much of a cable proponent, but his sounds intrinsically 'right' to me.

Those of you that haven't had the pleasure of knowing him as I do (we live fairly near one another around San Francisco), he's a genuine prince of a guy, too  :thumb:

mhconley

« Reply #29 on: 14 Jan 2012, 07:49 pm »
I'm running the TCI Viper Interconnect based cables provided by Mørch with my UP-4 tonearm mounted with a Grado Reference Sonata 5mv cartridge.

Martin

putz

« Reply #30 on: 14 Jan 2012, 08:34 pm »
So High Output carts are more likely to hum than Low Output ones?

mhconley

« Reply #31 on: 14 Jan 2012, 09:13 pm »
So High Output carts are more likely to hum than Low Output ones?

I don't know the answer but I do know Grado's are prone to hum, both high and low.  It seems to be certain combinations of carts and turntables that cause it.  Sansui Louie on AudioKarma compiled a database: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2475230&postcount=1

Martin

Netdewt

« Reply #32 on: 14 Jan 2012, 10:30 pm »
Someone just posted a review of the LC-1 on AK:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=406592

I want to compare that and the Morrow mentioned in the thread. Wish I could do it without buying them both... I currently have a crappy run-of-the-mill cable from my Dual 1228 to my Cambridge 540P.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #33 on: 14 Jan 2012, 11:44 pm »
One problem I've had with Blue Jeans is that the RCA connectors don't fit snugly enough. If you have too much sag in them they lose the signal. You must be careful how you lead them otherwise they're somewhat insecure.

bregez

« Reply #34 on: 17 Jan 2012, 01:57 am »
I'm using my own cables made from RG-6 and gold plated RCA compression fittings. The cable is foil and braid with a 18awg center, solid conductor. 50pf capacitance for a 1 meter cable (rivals Bluejeans).

Wayner

Question for Wayner, have you found that the lower the capacitance the better.  I have done a few DIY cables with the result of around 70 uF (none with shielded coaxial).  Connectors are not a problem, I live a stones throw from the Switchcraft in Chicago.
Thanks in advance,
Brad

cheap-Jack

« Reply #35 on: 17 Jan 2012, 03:01 am »
Hi.
Concerned with possible hum issues.
Please weigh in on what interconnect you're using, what you like about it and any recommendations you'd like to make for me.
Given proper grounding TT to phono-preamp & grounding phono-cable to phono-preamp, hum should not occur.

FYI, I DIY built mine with NO, repeat no shiedling at all. There is no hum whatever volume I crank up.

c-J

Sonny

« Reply #36 on: 17 Jan 2012, 08:41 pm »
Hi.Given proper grounding TT to phono-preamp & grounding phono-cable to phono-preamp, hum should not occur.

FYI, I DIY built mine with NO, repeat no shiedling at all. There is no hum whatever volume I crank up.

c-J

C-J, I too think hum is a ground issue, not a shielding issue...
My I/C, I have no issues with!

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #37 on: 17 Jan 2012, 11:07 pm »
Hi.Given proper grounding TT to phono-preamp & grounding phono-cable to phono-preamp, hum should not occur.

c-J

There isn't any shielding that would be flexable enough, nor thick enough on interconnects to stop 60hz hum.
The shielding is for RFI, or very high frequency EMI. Low frequency EMI can't be shielded, only re-directed (mumetal) or "soaked up" in soft iron.  Anybody own a tonearm where the internal wires are shielded?  Didn't think so.

decal

« Reply #38 on: 18 Jan 2012, 01:13 am »
I use a Signal Cable Silver Resolution with Eichmann copper bullets. It works for me.

WGH

« Reply #39 on: 18 Jan 2012, 03:46 am »
I use Straight Wire Encore II interconnects throughout my entire system, they have a balanced sound that works well with all the electronics that have cycled through my house.

Wayne