PurePower 2000 or equivalent

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
PurePower 2000 or equivalent
« on: 20 Aug 2011, 09:05 pm »
Here's the major question:  Is anyone using one and to what affect?

I currently have 2 dedicated 20 amp lines and am only using one at this time (ground loop issue, unresolved).  I also have whole house surge protection on the main breaker box, cable, and internet in to the house.  I have a PI Audio RevB for my amps and a PS Audio Quintet for everything else.  System is listed in my signature.

I live in NW FL and the power is awful from Gulf Power.  We continually have brownouts/blackouts, over/under voltage, sags, you name it.  I'll lose power on a hot day (up to 5 times a day) for a minute or so.  The power has gotten worse in the last year as home construction has increased (yes houses are being built in Florida again).

I'm looking for something to help with my current power situation, and at the same time to use as a power conditioner for all equipment.  I'll still use the RevB for the amps.

I've heard regenerators are hit and miss (system dependent).  So, I'm looking for any and all suggestions that can help this problem at a "relatively" inexpensive level.  Let's say max of the retail on the PP 2000 ($3695).

Thanks for any help
Mark

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
Re: PurePower 2000 or equivalent
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2011, 10:25 pm »
Have you registered an official complaint with your power company?  I had voltage sags which I documented with a power quality meter (not paper documentation, just something I could specifically quantify).  Once I got past tier one support at the utility, they agreed that my quality was low and placed a monitor on my meter.  They discovered that they had issues with 3 capacitor banks at the substation that feeds my area.  They corrected it and now my power is up to spec.

I was considering a Pure Power unit myself, but dealing with the utility was a lot less expensive.  Probably more aggravating however.... :green:

golfugh

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2011, 10:36 pm »
Actually I have.  Gulf power is aware of the issues system wide.  That is why I added the Gulf Power whole house surge protection (I'm now covered if they destroy all of my audio equipment).  I already had one installed previously by an electrician, but it didn't cover everything.

The biggest issue (although capacity was increased post-Katrina) is the added construction was not planned for due to economic considerations.  This has put a tax on the overall power grid!

I'm also looking at a Torus CS-20 AVR series.

golfugh

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2011, 10:57 pm »
Does anyone use one or have alternative ideas?

Thanks
Mark

JDUBS

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2011, 11:29 pm »
Mark, check out the Liebert GXT-2 series of UPSs....same concept as the PurePower as far as I can tell.

You can pick them up for cheap on ebay.  Plus, do a search for Liebert on Audiocircle.  There's a few threads on them.

-Jim

audiobat

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2011, 07:31 pm »
The Pure Power can also use additional battery packs for uninterrupted power supply.
I saw a demo once where they pulled the power cord from the wall and ran the system!
I had one of the old 1050 units (I'm pretty sure that was the model) not a big 2000 unit, I ran two tube mono amps, a preamp, and CDP.
It was using about 55% of the 1050 watts.
Thought it sounded pretty good.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2011, 09:29 pm »
I have one.  I started out with a 1050 and had some issues with overloading it.  After a couple of replacements, they gave me a 2000 and I have not had any problems with it.  I was just putting too much through it.  I try to keep it at or below 60% capacity now.  Living in DC suburb I get fluctuations on voltage.  Pure Power 2000 keeps my voltage constant at 120.  I find that very helpful with all my tubed gears.  I have industrial  Zero Surge wall unit on my dedicated 20 amp lines (2) before the 2000 and like what I have.  I may try additional conditioners after it and before  specific gears but 2000 will stay in my system.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2011, 09:51 pm »
I had the PP2000 in my system for several months.  Overall, the sound quality did not improve to my liking.  Like other devices of the same ilk, the sound was cleaner (ie, the background grit was gone), but it robbed the dynamics out of the music to the point the music sounded dull and lifeless.  The soundstage slightly shrank although imaging tightened up slightly.  I decided to sell mine.  I don't miss it.  But now I do worry that loss of power or spikes will damage my components. 

drummermitchell

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2011, 03:06 pm »
I haven't heard of one complaint on people using  the Torus.
Mine have saved my gear a few times,where using something else fried my computer.
Some people that I know have only upgraded to a higher amperage Torus as they had aquired bigger amps.
I use two and have no desire to change as I have been thru a few different well known types.
They do make a huge positive difference and that's for the music,plus superb protection :D.

audiobat

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2011, 05:00 pm »
I've been eyeballing the PS Audio P5 unit, heard one at RMAF 2011 and the system it was on sounded fantastic. Wonder if it was seriously contributing to that or what??

Also heard the on / off effect of a Quantum device by Nordost, I liked the system with it on best, I thought it was interesting.
Expensive but interesting!