Freon gas used to cool off amplifiers?

lanchile

Freon gas used to cool off amplifiers?
« on: 20 Aug 2011, 03:08 am »
Long time ago I opened a Sanyo plus series amplifier and I found a small heat sink but with freon gas pipe to cool off. I was wondering if this method is good to cool off an amplifier and if it is, how come nobody is using it! :scratch:
Can Bryston use the same way to cool off amplifiers?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Freon gas used to cool off amplifiers?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2011, 03:11 am »
Heat pipes are often used in highly tweaked computers.
Since normal fins serve for most issues of heat.. why bother with exotic forms which can have problems of thier own? a chunk of milled aluminum is pretty straight forward. Stuff with pipes and fluids is way more of a chance to go bad.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2011, 03:23 am »
A heat pipe is also used in the Virtue amplifiers.  They generally transfer heat more efficiently to some kind of heatsink, whether flat or finned, but are generally used in space-constrained applications.

I have to agree that if the space is available for adequately sized air-cooled heatsinks, then that is the simple and effective way to go.  If the heatsink surface area is adequate, fan cooling is not needed unless the ambient air temperature is too high or convection airflow is restricted by cabinetry or other objects.

Most heatpipes contain some kind of liquid, i.e. water, alcohol, ammonia, etc., but I was unaware that Freon was used in these applications.

Steve

lanchile

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2011, 03:28 am »
A heat pipe is also used in the Virtue amplifiers.  They generally transfer heat more efficiently to some kind of heatsink, whether flat or finned, but are generally used in space-constrained applications.

I have to agree that if the space is available for adequately sized air-cooled heatsinks, then that is the simple and effective way to go.  If the heatsink surface area is adequate, fan cooling is not needed unless the ambient air temperature is too high or convection airflow is restricted by cabinetry or other objects.

Most heatpipes contain some kind of liquid, i.e. water, alcohol, ammonia, etc., but I was unaware that Freon was used in these applications.

Steve

ok, I found the model it is Sanyo P55 Plus Series . and it was cooled off by freon gas pipe.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2011, 03:45 am »
ok, I found the model it is Sanyo P55 Plus Series . and it was cooled off by freon gas pipe.

Interesting.  I didn't know that Sanyo had even ever manufactured a power amplifier.  It is apparently from the late 70s - early 80s, and here is a photo showing the piping running through the heatsink fins.

Steve

lanchile

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2011, 03:57 am »

Yeah Steve! That is the one.it does an excellent job cooling the heatsink. :thumb:

lanchile

« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2011, 04:04 am »
Dual mono design
Dual TKK transformers
Two pairs of 63v 10,000uF main filters
Two pairs per channel Hitachi 2SJ49 and 2SK134 Mosfet outputs
Freon cooling tunnel for the Hitachi's
Relay operated speaker selector with one relay each for A and B speakers
Wire wrap connections throughout

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2011, 04:33 am »

Back in the late Seventies and early Eighties I guess we were ignorant enough to utilize a chlorofluorocarbon like Freon for as frivolous a purpose as this. 

D.D.