Your favorite type of sound stage?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Your favorite type of sound stage?
« on: 19 Aug 2011, 01:05 pm »
Do you like:
Enveloping (Somewhat panoramic and forward with projection)
Panoramic (side to side spacing and not much forward)
Forward (more length then width)
Flat (just barely in front of the speakers, mildly panoramic)
Inside the speakers (recessed stage)
Unidirectional: Speakers everywhere, sound everywhere, somewhat mono

Then we have other listening attributes:
Near field: Being within no less than 8ft from the speakers
Far field: Speakers approx. 15ft away or more

If not listed, describe what you like or have and how you got there.
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2011, 10:31 am by Niteshade »

gooberdude

Re: Your favorite sound stage?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2011, 04:47 pm »
For me, its not so much what I like but rather what my room+gear+budget can produce.  I think its important for any 'phile to be reasonable with expectations, esp when a budget is in place, or you'll go broke trying.

My ultimate room would produce a holographic & somewhat life sized stage that gives the impression that it is 200+ square feet in size with 5'+ tall musicians in front of me, totally separated from one another (when the source material allows it).  To anyone in the room, most types of music would sound real & pleasing, rich & significant.  The physical position of the speakers would be baffling & appear to have no bearing on where the music is perceived to be coming from.  Hebrew Hammer's old room came very close to doing all this (is it ok to mention him again??!!).

My room now has the flexibility to put speakers in line with the tv screen on a long wall, or a diagonal/corner set up.  the diagonal sounds/performs much better but puts me kitty corner to the tv...so i accept a shallow stage (5' deep or so) with musicians lined up kinda shoulder-to-shoulder, when the speakers are arranged on the long wall (a 50' long wall).  Musicians are audible up to 3' outside of both speakers, about a 15' wide stage now...just not deep when compared to the diagonal set-up.  A vast, disappearing wall soundstage is a lot of fun, IMO. 

Blair, a lot of the descriptions you listed above can be overcome or altered with acoustic treatments & bass trapping.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2011, 07:16 pm »
I sit nearfield (Cardas - 68 inch equilateral triangle) so I'd like wide/deep soundstage.  I'm breaking in a new pre-amp and dynamics and soundstage are improved in just the first few hours.   :thumb:

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2011, 10:59 pm »
Holographic & Lifelike: My favorite as well. I prefer near-field listening and enjoy a projected sound stage that is moderately panoramic. If it's too panoramic, forward projection has less detail.

However, I prefer a panoramic sound stage with orchestra music. My favorite for vocals, such as with folk singers is forward projection. Bluegrass requires forward + moderately panoramic.

One thing people have to remember: If the sound field isn't recorded well, no matter what system you have, IF it is accurate, it will hopefully not be aided. A purist-style system should not salt & pepper music.  A purist system aided with various inline gear (EQ's, spatial enhancers, etc...) will provide the ultimate in flexibility. Remember, these extras can always be bypassed.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2011, 12:11 am »
Favorite sound stage??? That's easy; Troy Music Hall in Troy, NY with unamplified music... some of the best acoustics in the world! A standard...

Sorry,  :icon_lol: didn't answer your question. Just having fun!  :lol:

Pete

Pez

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2011, 01:16 am »
Does one necessarily have to compromise and have one of the listed? I guess when I listen to my setup it can do all of them depending on the way material is recorded.

I've got some tracks like Brian Carpenters Ghost Train Orchestra that places instruments pretty evenly across the sound stage and not in the speakers at all and it sounds amazing. I have some recordings that place vocals or instruments in the left or right speaker that sounds amazing. And I have some stuff that throws sound around and behind the listener. All of which became so real it's scary after room treatment.

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2011, 01:43 am »
I Agree that the power is in the recording.   I'll even through out there that 75% is is in the recording and 25% is in the equipment, roughly.

wushuliu

« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2011, 03:11 am »
As a film-lover I like audio experience like my favorite films - wide and tall, in cinemascope, about 10 rows back!