Antique and Vintage Motorcycles

pansixt

Antique and Vintage Motorcycles
« on: 19 Aug 2011, 06:10 am »
I just started my latest project of restoring one of my motorcycles.
It is a 1948 Harley-Davidson FL.

I am starting, as with any restoration, with the frame.

First step, evaluating and categorizing the small associated parts. Quite a few pieces

Then comes the stripping and finishing of the frame. After the stripping comes the metal prep and then, Paint or Powder Coat?

Which do you prefer? And why?

Any takers?

James

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Antique and Vintage Motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2011, 11:54 am »
the metal prep
As someone who used to do very high dollar race car restorations, I'd highly recommend not using aircraft stripper.  Best to have it blasted (walnut or soda).  The aircraft stripper gets in cracks and causes many other issues. 

and then, Paint or Powder Coat?
If you're going for the factory restoration then Paint.  If you really don't care about the highest value and you're going to ride the heck out of it then maybe powder coat.  I much prefer paint for the proper job.  Powder coat is great for it's intended purpose (durable) but it has no place in a concourse restoration IMO / IME. 

pansixt

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2011, 10:47 pm »
JTW

I learned that lesson about stripper and the liquid prep the hard way many years ago.

Also the last motorcycle frame I did, I painted. I do like the finish better. And it is easier
to control, because I would be the one to do it.
That can be a hell of a job. And as you know, most of the outcome is in the prep.
Powder coating would be someone else applying the finish. And I'm not getting any younger.

This bike is original, but will not be in any show. I have a another HD for that.
This is just one that I have neglected for far too long.

Thanks for the reply

James

Mikeinsacramento

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2011, 10:52 pm »
So...do you really have any questions about what you are doing?  Or is this one of the "look at me" threads.

pansixt

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2011, 11:55 pm »
I have actually never had any large surface powder coated like a frame or fender or whatever.

I have heard about the durability. But not the longevity. I am hoping someone can elaborate
on that.

Do you have a serious question about what I am doing? Or is this just one of those
"look at me" posts?

James

Crimson

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2011, 12:17 am »
So...do you really have any questions about what you are doing?  Or is this one of the "look at me" threads.

You mean like yours? He's sharing information and asking for input.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2011, 12:37 am »
I work with a fellow that took the "guts" out of a discarded oven, and installed them inside an old discarded refrigerator.
To make a long story short, he made a powder coating oven complete with the heating elements, temp controls and thermostats from the oven.

He successfully painted his first test piece just the other day. The size of the fridge is large enough to "cook" a motorcycle frame which was one of his main requirements.

In all, he's got $70 in the project.  :eyebrows:
The paint used in powder coating is nearly insignifigant in it's price, by the way.

Pictures of your motorcycle restoration would be great to see. I'd love to follow such a project.

Bob

p.s. For the record, I love "look at me threads". I've started a great many of them myself....although they've all been "binned", but that's another story.

pansixt

« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2011, 02:29 am »
That's a heck of an idea. Bob.
I like the way that fellow thinks.

One of the reasons that I am considering powder coating is so maybe I wouldn't feel compelled to do it myself.

I had a couple of small parts done years ago which produced a glossy and shiny finish.
I don't know how it will hold up to gas, oil, vibration, heat and road debris on a frame.
Probably pretty well, but I don't think it is applied with thick layers of prep and top coats as most paint jobs today. And that may even be an advantage.

That is the kind of input I am looking for. It's always best to hear from experience.
So any is welcome.

It's still early in this project and I haven't really researched powder coating much yet.
I'll spend some time on the net and then check out a local operation.

I will let you know and I will do pictures.
Which reminds me, I did follow your vacation shots with interest as I lived in Colorado for years and spent a lot of time in Wyoming and Montana and loved it. Especially Yellowstone. Great pictures and priceless time with the family no doubt. Thanks.

James

srb

« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2011, 03:04 am »
Well, he asked for info, got some damn valuable response, and discounted it.

Those of us who work with our hands can recognize a poser pretty quick.  I call BS
and am going back to my shop.

:scratch:

I don't get it.  I re-read all of the posts and the OP asked for opinions, got some and thanked the responders for the information.  I'm not seeing any discounting of responses or posing.

I am seeing a bit of stick poking and nest stirring although I'm unclear as to why.

Steve

TONEPUB

« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2011, 03:19 am »
As someone who used to do very high dollar race car restorations, I'd highly recommend not using aircraft stripper.  Best to have it blasted (walnut or soda).  The aircraft stripper gets in cracks and causes many other issues. 
If you're going for the factory restoration then Paint.  If you really don't care about the highest value and you're going to ride the heck out of it then maybe powder coat.  I much prefer paint for the proper job.  Powder coat is great for it's intended purpose (durable) but it has no place in a concourse restoration IMO / IME.

Excellent advice....

Craig Jackson of the Barrett Jackson Auction once said the same thing when talking to a bunch of hobbyists back when I lived in Phx.

pansixt

« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2011, 02:48 pm »
Yes it is excellent advice and I can see the logic.

In some spots on my frame, the original paint is pretty well preserved.
From the couple of small parts I had coated years ago, I can see a big difference in the finish
and it does not resemble the factory paint at all. Much more slick and shiny.

I am considering coating but the scales may be tipping towards the painting a little more.
With the experience of JTWRace and Mr. Jackson, that is some pretty heavy advice.

The baking oven that Bob's co-worker devised could be used in either case and would be sure to help cure a finish faster than heat lamps.

James

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #11 on: 24 Nov 2011, 02:35 am »
I owned a powder coating shop back in the 90s and a professional job is a bit more involved than what The Eastwood Co. would have you believe.
You really want hot iron phosphate immersion for the substrate (bare metal), a rinse tank, a real gun, a powder spray booth and industrial oven to get the job done properly.  You'll need an open cart to hang the frame from as well.
Black will range from matte to mirror finish and durability will not be an issue if it's done right.
Certain chemicals can streak the cured powder, though.
I always used fine sand in a pressure blaster for frames and the sooner you can get it into the iron phosphate solution the better as a Harley frame is just dying to start rusting.
A motorcycle frame is difficult to powder coat due to the abundance of Faraday Cages - those are angular areas which will attempt to repel the powder and the more that you try and put on the less will actually adhere to the metal. 
That's why you need a real gun as they will allow you to adjust the voltage and powder flow.  Figure five grand for a good gun.
The powder itself is cheap - when I was doing it the cost was $60/five pound can, something like $250 for a 50 pound bag.  After 6 months the powder is marginal, a year and it goes in the dumpster.  For a motorcycle frame you might use a half pound of powder in a spray to waste booth.
You want to check around and find a good shop is my best advice if you're going to go with powder.

Hope that this has been of some help and good luck with your project.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2011, 11:40 pm »
Seven minutes in Paradise: a ride in a 1978 CB750-F2, SOCH engine, 4 in 1 exausth note:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcORb_2lWqs&feature=fvsr

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 16 Dec 2011, 11:42 pm »

Rclark

« Reply #14 on: 16 Dec 2011, 11:52 pm »
Minus the jealous lady, awesome thread  :thumb: