Altec Voice of the Theatre A7's?

pansixt

Altec Voice of the Theatre A7's?
« on: 19 Aug 2011, 05:17 am »
So I have this pair of Altec 511B Horns, with 808A Drivers
and a pair of N501-8A Frequency Dividing Networks.

I have carted them all across the country and back since the mid 70's and never used them.

Many were the times, that I have toyed with the idea of building some Bass cabinets to accompany them (not a small or easy venture).

Should I offer them on my local Craigslist (too large to fool with the Bay probably, and there are others offered) or the Trading Post, for local pick-up of course?

Or should I go with the original thought from my youth, and build the bottom end for them and have some huge monitors?

At present, I don't have the room (listening room) for such an arrangement. Or maybe even the power to run such beasts.

But being from the old school of large Soundstage, it is an attractive thought still.
Hell it pained me to retire the smaller EV's that I've loved for years.

What say ye purveyors of experience and knowledge and advice?

James

« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2011, 07:02 am by pansixt »

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
Re: Altec Voice of the Theatre A7's?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2011, 06:22 pm »
I'm sure there are others here with first-hand advice, but user drummerwill (Willie) http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=profile;u=2506 is local to me and I've heard his A7's amongst much of his other fine vintage horns. Shoot him a PM I'm sure he'd be glad to help.

Craig

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2011, 07:14 pm »
I just finished restoring a pair of Altec Lansing Santiagos (Voice of the Theater) in walnut cabinets. Yours are an earlier version, crossing over at 500Hz (which is too low). Ours crosses at 800hz and requires minimal power to crank.

I know your horn is older, as ours is the 811B, but I think we have the same driver, 808A (8 ohm) and the cross-over network you have is also for 500hz. You did not mention your Lo F driver. Ours is a 15" woofer with 4" voice coil mounted in an acoustic suspension housing.

There are collectors out there and if you want to get rid of the stuff, you will have no problem finding buyers.

One listen to a functional and correctly restored pair of Altecs will remind you of how dynamic and yet utterly detailed these speakers can be. Probably would put almost all other speakers of today to shame, unfortunately, no one could afford to build them like this either.

Wayner  8)

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2011, 07:28 pm »
Go for it, we only live once, plus you'll always wish you did to see what they sounded like......

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2011, 07:52 pm »
BTW, few people know that Altec's Lansing and James B. Lansing (JBL) are the same person. 2 different companies, same  guy.

Wayner

pansixt

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2011, 10:20 pm »
Thanks everyone for the replies.
I hope I am able to put a set of monitors together someday (like most people, I have more than one project looming over me).

Wayner, I do not have any woofers or cabinets.
The cabinets alone will be a major project. There are some folks in Oklahoma that specialize in Altecs, but then I am sure you know that, what with your previous project.

You, and Ed being the JBL fan that he is, probably have heard that James B. Lansing died of suicide. I don't know this to be fact, but it is interesting. His story (the one I read) is an interesting read.

Mitsuman, thanks for the link. I am sure I will put it to use, eventually.

I have also posted recently of another of my projects in the Cars and Bikes Circle.
That project is a must do and will get most of my attention.

And Money :)

James

zeke

« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2011, 06:34 am »
Last year i had a pair of VOTT A7's for about 6months.

While they are great speakers in most respects, i would not do it again unless i had a bigger room --- maybe 15x20 or bigger.
IMO they are too overpowering for a smaller room -- meaning do you like to stand 10 ft from the speakers at a live rock concert ?

The woofers and cabinets will cost some bucks, as Altec speaker prices just keep climbing. Also it will cost you to update the xovers and maybe the drivers. How much money are you willing to spend ?

You do not need much power to drive them as they are around 100 db sens.  40 watts is enough to easily drive you out of the room. A 3 watt 2a3 amp will play them very loudly. Even the 45 tube plays them loud.

I guess the good thing is if Altec prices continue to climb you will never lose any money when you sell.