X-LS Classic

wired4sound

X-LS Classic
« on: 18 Aug 2011, 11:44 pm »
Danny,

Just wondering if the woofer of the x-ls classic is the same as in N2X. If not, what is the difference in its sound characteristic?
Thanks.

Danny Richie

Re: X-LS Classic
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2011, 01:47 am »
They look the same from the front, but the motor structure is very different. The X series speakers use a standard motor structure while the N2X woofers (the M-165X) uses the XBL^ motor structure.

The sonic character is very close though.

wired4sound

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2011, 04:16 pm »
If I change the tweeter on the Classic (with Neo3) and retain the woofer, what will be the benefit? I imagine the highs will be more pronounced and open, but I wonder about the integration of the two drivers. Can I just replace the caps on the crossover without dumping the entire crossover network?
Thanks again.  :D 

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2011, 04:21 pm »
If I change the tweeter on the Classic (with Neo3) and retain the woofer, what will be the benefit? I imagine the highs will be more pronounced and open, but I wonder about the integration of the two drivers. Can I just replace the caps on the crossover without dumping the entire crossover network?
Thanks again.  :D

That would require a new network design.

If you want to upgrade a X-LS classic, then I do have the Encore tweeter with the classic tweeter face plate. You will also then need the crossover for the X-LS Encore.

Upgrade the crossover parts, line the box with No Rez, and you have a real world class mini-monitor.

wired4sound

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2011, 07:57 pm »
I guess I am better off with the Encore rather than a semi-N2X. Will the Encore tweeter be close to Neo3 in performance?

The other problem I have with the Classic is that one speaker plays louder than the other, messing up the imaging. I do not have an SPL meter to confirm how much loudness, but I hope the new crossover will solve this problem.

I will remove the woofer and see if I have enough room for access to remove the entire crossover and install the No Rez. What would be the cost for the Encore tweeter and crossover upgrade?

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2011, 08:24 pm »
I guess I am better off with the Encore rather than a semi-N2X.

That would require some custom design work.

Will the Encore tweeter be close to Neo3 in performance?

Close enough to be comparable.

The other problem I have with the Classic is that one speaker plays louder than the other, messing up the imaging. I do not have an SPL meter to confirm how much loudness, but I hope the new crossover will solve this problem.

That sounds pretty odd. I have seen a few of the tweeters be a little out of spec and down in output but nothing else. QC on the woofers is really high.

I will remove the woofer and see if I have enough room for access to remove the entire crossover and install the No Rez. What would be the cost for the Encore tweeter and crossover upgrade?

The X-LS Encore crossovers are $28 each, and the tweeters are $29 each. I'll let you have a pair of each for $100 plus shipping, and I'll through in some of the good wire, solder, and heat shrink.

wired4sound

« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2011, 09:17 pm »
The X-LS Encore crossovers are $28 each, and the tweeters are $29 each. I'll let you have a pair of each for $100 plus shipping, and I'll through in some of the good wire, solder, and heat shrink.

I think there is enough room to remove the crossover network via the woofer hole and upgrade the parts. Instead of replacing the entire crossover, can I just replace the caps (with Sonicap) of the existing crossover for better upgrade and save money? I am saving dollars towards Super V.

I imagine replacing the parts will result in a better sound than using the original Encore crossover. Am I correct?

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2011, 09:57 pm »
I think there is enough room to remove the crossover network via the woofer hole and upgrade the parts. Instead of replacing the entire crossover, can I just replace the caps (with Sonicap) of the existing crossover for better upgrade and save money? I am saving dollars towards Super V.

I imagine replacing the parts will result in a better sound than using the original Encore crossover. Am I correct?

No problem, and the four Sonicaps that you'll need are $72.40. That's for the Encore version.

cleestedwood

« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2011, 09:58 pm »
  Does anyone have a photo of an upgraded  X-sls encore crossover with Danny's Sonicaps and Mills resistors? Going to try to do just that , but some pictures would be a very big help! Please post if you can help,  Thanks  Sorry if this is a hi-jack

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2011, 11:47 pm »
Of course you can work the xover through the woofer hole, or nothing could get done.

I have the orignal X-LS with snowman grill, bought the mid-levek upgrade from Skiing Ninja, I think it was called the Buddo upgrade, (also got the upgraded tweet), they sound great on my deck.

etcarroll

« Reply #10 on: 14 Sep 2011, 11:49 pm »
Another view - I have fat fingers, and this was not how the pretty pic in the directions showed the finished upgrade, but it was the closest I could get. You don't see them once they go back in the box anyway.

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 14 Sep 2011, 11:58 pm »
The newer boards are much bigger and have much more space for upgrades.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #12 on: 15 Sep 2011, 12:02 am »

I guess I forgot to take a pic after adding platinum bypasses.

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 15 Sep 2011, 12:08 am »
There you go.... That looks good.

etcarroll

« Reply #14 on: 15 Sep 2011, 12:57 am »
Well, that's much more room to work with. :thumb:

wired4sound

« Reply #15 on: 15 Sep 2011, 01:07 am »
Thanks for the pics. It will definitely help me when I replaced the parts. :thumb:

wired4sound

« Reply #16 on: 21 Sep 2011, 11:02 pm »
No problem, and the four Sonicaps that you'll need are $72.40. That's for the Encore version.[/quote

$75 for tweeters and Sonicaps is not a bad investment, if it would take the Classic into the next level. Is it possible to pick it up at RMAF rather than  mail? I will be at the show (Saturday). I have made my accommodation.

Looking forward to hearing the Super V with an upgraded cap.

Thanks.

wired4sound

« Reply #17 on: 21 Sep 2011, 11:04 pm »
Oops...looks like I got the "quote" format wrong.

Also, is it cost effective to replace the resistors with better ones?

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 21 Sep 2011, 11:10 pm »
You can edit your post that you just made and fix the quotes if you like.

The price is just for the four main Sonicaps.

The Mills resistors are $4.90 each, and while not a huge improvement (like the caps) it is an improvement. So with three of them per crossover, that is 6 times $4.90.

I am currently going to be loaded for the show. I'd rather just ship it to you. Shipping cost on some caps (less than 1 pound) is not very much anyway.