S/PDIF vs. AES/EUB connections for the BDP1.

jjc1

S/PDIF vs. AES/EUB connections for the BDP1.
« on: 18 Aug 2011, 04:08 pm »
 I would be intrerested to hear from BDP1 owners concerning which connection they use for the BDP1.  S/PDIF  or AES/EUB?
  Since reading the Absolute Sound review, I have started experimenting with both connections. I do hear a difference, S/PDIF seeming more open and resolving vs. a lusher,darker sound thru AES/EUB. But not necessarily with all downloads. It almost seems that the lower resolution files, 44./1, show this more so than Hi Res files.
  Has anyone out there experienced any of this or has anyone else experimented?

Thanks. John.

OgOgilby

Re: S/PDIF vs. AES/EUB connections for the BDP1.
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2011, 12:27 am »
Which AES/EBU and S/PDIF cables did you use for your comparison?

klao

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2011, 05:06 pm »
I tried A/B audition between those connections, but with different make/model of the digital cables: Stereolab XV-Ultra for S/PDIF & Kimber Select KS 2120 for AES/EBU, both at 1-meter length.

Can't really say I heard more than subtle differences.  Through the Kimber AES/EBU, there might be a slightly more details and dynamic, yet again I can't be totally sure.   :duh:

jjc1

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2011, 09:13 pm »
Which AES/EBU and S/PDIF cables did you use for your comparison?
I used the Kimber Orchid AES/EBU and Kimber D60 digital, both 1/2 meter,

Vipers

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2011, 08:07 pm »
I compared the Atlas S/PDIF to the Chord AES/EBU cable and although the differences are not night and day I definitely prefer the presentation of the AES cable, I found it a little smoother with a fuller sound, more analogue if you like, the S/PDIF seems to be a little brighter, but I could see some poeple going with the S/PDIF, it really comes down to personal preference again.

Tbh though, I've still got both options hooked up as sometimes the more livelier sound of the S/PDIF can be quite welcome.

pardales

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2011, 08:29 pm »
It looks like the S/PDIF connector on the BDP-1 is BNC. If you only have RCA (S/PDIF) inputs on your DAC (not a BDA-1) I guess that means you need some kind of adaptor? Anyone tried this?

To address the original topic I would expect there to be some noticeable differences between cabling.

BrysTony

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2011, 09:32 pm »
It looks like the S/PDIF connector on the BDP-1 is BNC. If you only have RCA (S/PDIF) inputs on your DAC (not a BDA-1) I guess that means you need some kind of adaptor? Anyone tried this?

To address the original topic I would expect there to be some noticeable differences between cabling.

I am not currently using an adapter but I tried one with a USB/S/PDIF converter that I used to have and I could not tell any difference.  Here is a link to one - there are others:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQRCA2BNC

Tony

SHV

« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2011, 11:22 pm »
I make my own...quite easy with the crimp type connection.  A "high end" Canare Mil Spec 75 ohm, high digital bandwidth BNC connector with Gold center pin, costs $2.58.  Put an RCA and a BNC on 75 ohm Canare or Belden 75 ohm coax and it will cost about $6.00.  If you buy a similar "boutique cable" they put on a thick fancy cable cover and charge $1000.

Steve

jjc1

« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2011, 02:19 am »

You can get a BNC adapter for about $5. Works fine.

Vipers

« Reply #9 on: 24 Aug 2011, 09:06 pm »
I got my S/PDIF custom made by Atlas cables in Scotland, RCA to BNC.

I've just noticed that they have got a new Mavros range now available, in both S/PDIF and AES/EBU, I've always found that Atlas work very well with Bryston, I'd be very interested to try these cables tbh, shame they are a little on the expensive side.

Phil

« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2011, 09:50 pm »
I love my Wywire SPDIF Litespd cable, so had it re-terminated on one end to BNC (Furutech).  Alex designs wonderful cables.  Several threads on AC about his cables and info here:  http://www.wywires.com/what-to-buy.html

Phil

jjc1

« Reply #11 on: 25 Aug 2011, 02:18 pm »
  It seems I have been comparing apples to oranges, thus the difference in sound between AES/EBU and S/PDIF. The cables I was comparing were not of similar quality. My dealer loaned me a Kimber Select AES/EBU cable and a Kimber Select S/PDIF cable. Now that I am comparing the same quality cables in different form, the sonic differences seem to have vanished. Just started the comparison tests so I'll eventually see if there is truly a difference.
 It would be nice to know if this was the case when the Absolute Sound reviewer expressed his preference for digital vs. AES/EBU.

headshrinker2

« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2011, 03:58 pm »
I bet this happens all the time. Cables make a significant difference in my Bryston system. 

It seems I have been comparing apples to oranges, thus the difference in sound between AES/EBU and S/PDIF. The cables I was comparing were not of similar quality. My dealer loaned me a Kimber Select AES/EBU cable and a Kimber Select S/PDIF cable. Now that I am comparing the same quality cables in different form, the sonic differences seem to have vanished. Just started the comparison tests so I'll eventually see if there is truly a difference.
 It would be nice to know if this was the case when the Absolute Sound reviewer expressed his preference for digital vs. AES/EBU.

Vipers

« Reply #13 on: 25 Aug 2011, 05:15 pm »
Just started the comparison tests so I'll eventually see if there is truly a difference.

Excellent, a conclusive test, can't wait to hear your finding jjc1  :)

Dandy

« Reply #14 on: 8 Sep 2011, 05:30 am »
Ok ladies

To really get an understanding of what a digital ic can do you need to use complex musical passages as a reference. An average digital ic will not handle difficult rhythm or off beat musical time sigs in electic jazz or symphony.  It will show it self as convoluted and mixed up. When a good ic is used the musical info is kept intact. The atlas opus in 75 ohm or Wywires in xlr are excellent and very affordable examples of what is good.

headshrinker2

« Reply #15 on: 15 Sep 2011, 03:12 pm »
Any further findings to report back regarding SPDIF vs AES/EBU?  In your post below, you mentioned that "sonic differences seem to have vanished" when you compared the same model of cabling.  Same story after more listening?

Thanks.

jjc1

« Reply #16 on: 15 Sep 2011, 03:55 pm »
  Hi Headshrinker.

I spent about  3 weeks comparing Kimber Select S/PDIF with K. Select AES/EBU, same quality connections.  I found the AES/EBU to be slightly more to my liking, a fuller,lusher sound (more analog like?) than the S/PDIF which was a bit leaner but maybe a little more detailed. I feel that the AES/EBU is truer to the sound of instruments, more heft to drums, cymbals really shimmer, highs are more life like. Soundstaging was the same with both. Both were excellent, just ,I believe, a matter of taste. I did not notice any extreme difference as the TAS reviewer did.
  I am now back to using my Kimber Orchid AES/EBU.  I decided not to upgrade to the Select because any difference in sound was not worth almost 3x the price. I am totally enjoying this setup and am constantly amazed at what the BDP can do. Just last night I listened to a redbook CD that I had downloaded to my hard drive and had not listened to in quite a while. I was astounded at the sound thru the BDP and can't remember having heard this album ever sound nearly as good as it did. The more hours I put on the BDP, the better it sounds. And this was not a HI REZ download, just redbook CD.
  It wud be nice to hear from other AC members about their experiences with the BDP.

Regards, John.

headshrinker2

« Reply #17 on: 15 Sep 2011, 04:07 pm »
Hi John,
Thanks for the reply and details.  Your comparison is quite useful.  I'm curious, how were you able to compare these cables for such an extended period of time?  Did you purchase them?  Did a faithful dealer lend them to you?  What a great opportunity.

While I definitely appreciate the details, I am a sucker for a full/lush sound as you described. 

Hi Headshrinker.

I spent about  3 weeks comparing Kimber Select S/PDIF with K. Select AES/EBU, same quality connections.  I found the AES/EBU to be slightly more to my liking, a fuller,lusher sound (more analog like?) than the S/PDIF which was a bit leaner but maybe a little more detailed. I feel that the AES/EBU is truer to the sound of instruments, more heft to drums, cymbals really shimmer, highs are more life like. Soundstaging was the same with both. Both were excellent, just ,I believe, a matter of taste. I did not notice any extreme difference as the TAS reviewer did.
  I am now back to using my Kimber Orchid AES/EBU.  I decided not to upgrade to the Select because any difference in sound was not worth almost 3x the price. I am totally enjoying this setup and am constantly amazed at what the BDP can do. Just last night I listened to a redbook CD that I had downloaded to my hard drive and had not listened to in quite a while. I was astounded at the sound thru the BDP and can't remember having heard this album ever sound nearly as good as it did. The more hours I put on the BDP, the better it sounds. And this was not a HI REZ download, just redbook CD.
  It wud be nice to hear from other AC members about their experiences with the BDP.

Regards, John.

jjc1

« Reply #18 on: 15 Sep 2011, 04:21 pm »
Hi John,
Thanks for the reply and details.  Your comparison is quite useful.  I'm curious, how were you able to compare these cables for such an extended period of time?  Did you purchase them?  Did a faithful dealer lend them to you?  What a great opportunity.

While I definitely appreciate the details, I am a sucker for a full/lush sound as you described. 

There you see the value of a good dealer and what they mean to our hobby. I was able to borrow the cables and it just happened to be during the hurricane period so I wasn't able to get them back to the dealer for a while. Not to say that he wouldn't have let me keep them for that time anyway. Smart on his part because I may have eneded up purchasing a much more expensive cable from him, thus more business.
  If you live in northern New Jersey, and want the dealers name, let me know.