Cornet2 in Hammond Case

marantzfan

Cornet2 in Hammond Case
« on: 17 Aug 2011, 08:27 pm »
Looks like it's going to be "interesting" getting this to fit.  If anyone has done this build in the Hammond 2" case, can you provide a photo?  I'm interested to see how the back panel is laid out...

marantzfan

Re: Cornet2 in Hammond Case
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2011, 05:42 pm »
Nobodys done it?   :scratch:

regap25

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2011, 06:15 pm »
I have but im on vacation. You can check mine out at
www.youtube.com/migkiller1971

a love supreme video

The ac conn is a very tight fit and dead center. I used the upgraded rca's but you have to eye it and leave room so it doesn't hit the board. Line up the board and cut the rca's hole. Everything fits perfect.
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2011, 10:54 pm by regap25 »

Yoda

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2011, 02:19 am »
I did it too - you have to use short standoffs and test the assembly about 8 times: make sure that your caps clear the bottom plate and aren't shorting anything at the top.  I used aftermarket RCA jacks so placement wasn't critical, but you can make your holes for the back after the board is put together and you figure out the standoff height.
Matt

« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2011, 04:36 am by Yoda »

marantzfan

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2011, 03:03 pm »
I have 1/4" stand offs.  Right now I have the drill guides lined up and center holes punched for everything but the power inlet and ground.  It looks like the power inlet will need to be turned sideways and located as low as possible on the rear panel in order to fit...

I'm thinking about using the extra standoffs I have between the case and bottom plate for a little extra insurance and to act as a vent.  I'm also thinking of wrapping the sides in Afromasia (fluted to match my Linn Lp12), so that you wouldn't see the gap at the bottom.

How did you guys bend out flanges on the bottom?  The last picture doesn't show any signs that it ever had to be done. 

schubert

• I'm the one on the right
« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2011, 04:12 pm »
I'd be interested to know how you got the board into that case without bending the crap out of the bottom of the case - I built my Cornet this way at first and I wouldn't wish the ordeal on my worst enemy.  If I can find some old pics I'll post them, but it ain't pretty.

regap25

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2011, 05:17 pm »
I took a dremel and cut along the flange/lip of the case right up to the screw holes. Fits perfectly.

marantzfan

« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2011, 12:11 am »
How, exactly?  Can you post a pic?

Yoda

« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2011, 04:44 am »
There was definitely effort, but I got it in without cutting, bending or breaking anything. I kind of warped the board to get it started, and worked my way around it. The whole time I wished I bought the standard case.

Matt

regap25

« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2011, 06:48 pm »
I just replaced the Hammond Case. It worked like a charm but I went another direction:

Biff

« Reply #10 on: 25 Sep 2011, 04:34 pm »
Very nice. I like the exposed sockets - makes it easier to roll tubes.

marantzfan

« Reply #11 on: 31 Oct 2011, 06:17 am »
Well, I've got it all put together and its making music but I have hum..  I have already done the grey wire mod, star ground etc.  What I have noticed is that if I only plug in all rca cables half way, i go from hum to hiss...

Whats goin on here?