Recomended Bookshelf Stands

oz_audio_todd

Recomended Bookshelf Stands
« on: 16 Aug 2011, 10:43 pm »
Hey Danny, just wondering what sort of stands you use when you do your fequency response plots on your bookshelf speakers, is there a design of stands that you would recomend, and are there things that we shouldnt use for stands (ie card tables or may be even bookshelves for that matter)?
Thanks

oz_audio_todd

Re: Recomended Bookshelf Stands
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2011, 11:15 am »
OK, I thought this would have been a useful answer for people looking at getting the best out of their book shelf speakers(?)

neekomax

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2011, 01:10 pm »
Interested as well. Someone will answer  :wink:.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2011, 01:43 pm »
I've been at Danny's many times when he has taken measurements.  One stand he uses for bookshelf speakers is basically a professional quality camera stand with a platform screwed in at the top.  I doubt if you would want to use something similar permanently. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2011, 03:18 pm »
Sorry, I forgot all about this one.

Yes, I use a heavy duty tripod that has adjustable height.

I crank it up enough to get the speaker about 4 and a half feet from the ground. That way my first reflection point is well outside my measuring time window.

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2011, 10:29 pm »
hmmmm... yeah that does sound practical (and ugly  :(   ).
Does that also mean we have little chance of getting a simillar response w/o 'good personality' stands?  :(

neekomax

« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2011, 10:45 pm »
Dude, this is audio world. Most stuff is ugly, IMHO.  :lol:

Here, I got these for my old monitors. They can be filled with sand, and I'm gonna paint them white when I get my new monitors (which are white as well). I got 'em for about $65 I think. They're pretty stable if you you really torque the screws when assembling. And I think they're not that ugly:

http://www.standsonline.com/Free-Shipping/Sanus-EF20---20-Tall-for-Small-to-Medium-bookshelf-Speakers__SANUS-EF20.aspx

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2011, 10:47 pm »
Does that also mean we have little chance of getting a simillar response w/o 'good personality' stands? 

The stand has no effect on the response.

I have to get them up in the air and away from anything to measure it. I need a measurement free of reflections.

What you need is a really solid stand that gets the tweeter height up to your seated ear level.

Rclark

« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2011, 07:33 am »
I have Sanus higher-end stands than the ones shown. Very heavy and solid, sand filled.three pillars instead of one, sturdier base, better speaker platform. Wish I could remember which model, I got it off the 'Gon. Nice stands are dime a dozen there.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2011, 08:46 am »
Atacama makes good and stable stands that don't cost too terribly much.  One thing I like about them is the size of their top plate.  It's longer than most.  They have three legs and you can fill the larger center one with whatever.

kip_

« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2011, 12:28 pm »