Subwoofer/home Theater Problem - help

mr_bill

Subwoofer/home Theater Problem - help
« on: 16 Aug 2011, 04:42 am »
Problem:
My subwoofer emits a loud constant deep hum - no special effects, no deep bass, just a loud deep hum that modulates with the volume control.
Is my subwoofer cable bad?

Also, an rca interconnect is not the same as a subwoofer cable is it in case I want to swap it out and try a different cable?  I tried plugging in a Kimber PBJ interconnect into the sub out of the receiver and into the sub on the woofer and no sound.

srb

Re: Subwoofer/home Theater Problem - help
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2011, 04:57 am »
Problem:
My subwoofer emits a loud constant deep hum - no special effects, no deep bass, just a loud deep hum that modulates with the volume control.
Is my subwoofer cable bad?

Also, an rca interconnect is not the same as a subwoofer cable is it in case I want to swap it out and try a different cable?

Yes, any RCA interconnect will work.  Coaxial "digital" interconnects are often sold as subwoofer cables because the cables are often long in length and that type of cable construction often seems to do quite well in reducing potential hum.

You may have a bad cable (or a bad subwoofer amp), but swapping out the cable is the first thing i would try.

Steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2011, 01:19 pm »
The cable swap is quick and easy. The next thing I'd try would be substituting the sub with another speaker. Of course, taking in mind the capabilities of that speaker and the content coming from that channel......don't blow it up, just listen for hum.

Bob

mr_bill

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2011, 01:48 pm »
Two good suggestions - I'll try the cable swap tonight - I don't have a powered speaker though to plug the rca jack into.
Bill