N. American speakers that make sense.

JohnR

Re: N. American speakers that make sense.
« Reply #120 on: 6 Sep 2011, 03:01 pm »
Nope, it's extra dispersion >8k.

Oh OK I got it now. Wasn't understanding before but makes sense now.

Sorry... over to the SAM1 thread.

Saturn94

« Reply #121 on: 7 Sep 2011, 07:01 pm »
Saturn, you're near the top of the demo list. Parts on order. Patience...can't build them fast enough :D

Take your time.  I'm in no hurry.

If you remember I recently change my speaker positions inspired by your setup at CAF with great success.  Imaging is improved and the soundstage has really opened up.  I'm now much more satisfied with the speakers I purchased earlier this year (Salk HT2-TL).

I'm glad to hear your speaker launch has been a success and the orders are coming in. :thumb:

neekomax

« Reply #122 on: 7 Sep 2011, 07:10 pm »
Take your time.  I'm in no hurry.

If you remember I recently change my speaker positions inspired by your setup at CAF with great success.  Imaging is improved and the soundstage has really opened up.  I'm now much more satisfied with the speakers I purchased earlier this year (Salk HT2-TL).

I'm glad to hear your speaker launch has been a success and the orders are coming in. :thumb:

Saturn, what was the change you made in your speaker positions?

Saturn94

« Reply #123 on: 9 Sep 2011, 09:03 pm »
Saturn, what was the change you made in your speaker positions?

Wider apart and more toe in.  You can read more about it in my post in the Salk circle (see response #27);

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78833.20

neekomax

« Reply #124 on: 9 Sep 2011, 10:49 pm »
Wider apart and more toe in.  You can read more about it in my post in the Salk circle (see response #27);

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78833.20

Hmmm, interesting. I'm actually experimenting with a bit less toe in, so that the speakers are pointed just to the side of the LP, not directly at it. Seems to create a wider stage, more enveloping.

Saturn94

« Reply #125 on: 11 Sep 2011, 10:09 pm »
Hmmm, interesting. I'm actually experimenting with a bit less toe in, so that the speakers are pointed just to the side of the LP, not directly at it. Seems to create a wider stage, more enveloping.

When I get some time (and my back recovers), I also plan to play around with toe in again.  Since the last position change involved both setting them wider apart and toeing in directly at the LP, I'm not sure which change made the biggest difference.  I'll update my setup post when I get around to do more experimenting.

When the HT2-TLs were closer together, less toe in seem to widen the soundstage, but not as much as moving them further apart.  My ADS L1290's worked better when closer together with just a little toe in.

One thing is clear; every room/setup is different.  What works for one may not work for another.  Forget about the rules and just experiment to see what works best for you. :wink:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #126 on: 12 Sep 2011, 02:50 pm »
This is totally rule of thumb and varies wildly with speaker type and room, but you can start with the idea that wider spread and less toe will give a wider soundstage, and narrower spread and more toe in will create a deeper soundstage.  In most rooms there are one or two placements that give a magical blend of depth and breadth that is just perfect.

Generally I'll plot out the axial and lateral nodes and null points of the room, and start with a placement that avoids any large reinforcement or suckout, this at least gives a base plane distance from the front wall to work with.  Then widen the placement with zero toe-in until the central image becomes diffuse, then go back a touch.  Then work with small increments of toe.  There are as many speaker placement ideas as opinions and a certain body part.  My "opinion" is distilled from several of the strategies listed on a sticky in our circle.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87093.0   

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #127 on: 12 Sep 2011, 03:09 pm »
another thing to try is severe toe-in - so the speaker angle intersects in front of the listening position - this works well in many cases...

doug s.

audioligist

« Reply #128 on: 26 Sep 2011, 11:29 pm »
you'll never guess,

i've bought a set of jm lab opal 607's...i got them extremely reasonable (from a guy moving across country with no room to pack them)

anyway the sound pretty good with the creek and i can now refocus i think.

i find them a touch more forward than a paradigm studio 20 and i think that the mid's and highs are more to my liking than the paradigms ( i do not want to say open or refined but there is just more of it there to enjoy)... making this comparison because these two speakers are very much in the same league.
the 20's reproduce a much "fuller" bass spectrum and touching a little lower on the frequency chart (this is a perception only).

just letting you know what i've found so far... i now think that i may in fact try to trade the PMC Ob1's on a N. American speaker in a much higher price range.

i really have a fondness for Von Schweikerts and would like to hear Focus audio speakers.

this also opens up the list... hahaha

hmmm, i think it is a totally new list