N. American speakers that make sense.

skunark

Re: N. American speakers that make sense.
« Reply #100 on: 29 Aug 2011, 01:13 am »
I think we can take Usher off the list.. :duh:  Made in Taiwan since 1972.
http://www.usheraudiousa.com/company-information.php5

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #101 on: 29 Aug 2011, 01:54 am »
Not having anything priced near $1000/pair, AudioKinesis doesn't belong on the list.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #102 on: 29 Aug 2011, 01:57 am »
Not having anything priced near $1000/pair, AudioKinesis doesn't belong on the list.

:cry:

audioligist

« Reply #103 on: 29 Aug 2011, 02:23 am »
list updated, no more usher (founded in taiwan?), no more audiokinesis... thx

what about the old API now under Klipsch, are energy, mirage and athena qualifiers?

ricardojoa

« Reply #104 on: 29 Aug 2011, 08:42 am »

neekomax

« Reply #105 on: 29 Aug 2011, 03:27 pm »
Soundfield should be 'Soundfield Audio'.

audioligist

« Reply #106 on: 31 Aug 2011, 12:11 am »
ohm added and soundfield corrected

Saturn94

« Reply #107 on: 31 Aug 2011, 07:19 pm »
.........  And the best for last, Soundfield Audio by our own AJinFla with his Model 1 presently priced at $998.  These are "you have to hear it to believe it" speakers.  25hz-20khz range with jaw dropping dynamics, in a medium sized bookshelf speaker.

+1!

I heard these at CAF and thought they were among the best I heard at the show.

Doublej

« Reply #108 on: 5 Sep 2011, 12:51 am »
Don't forget about BIC America.

jackman

« Reply #109 on: 5 Sep 2011, 02:43 pm »
I would look at those Soundfield speakers.   If you don't have a large room and are not a bass freak, they look like a very cool design for the money.  The only thing that scares me about these speakers is the designer doesn't publish any measurements or mention anything about the design of the crossover.  This is not uncommon, but I like to see measurements, especially on a new design.   

Also, don't forget about Maggies.  The MMG's are an amazing bargain and I'm a big fan of the sound.  You might need more power but I've heard about people running Maggies with lower watt amps like Virtue.

Not sure I would be happy with a Virtue/Magnepan setup because I can't imagine that little amp has enough power to drive those large speakers.  I heard Magnepan 1.6's with a Coda amp and the combo was very nice.  You can usually find a Coda (or Legacy made by Coda) for very reasonable prices.  I would take a Coda over a Creek any time.  Creek is good but I think they are designed for English (or Euro) listeners.  Usually smaller speakers in small rooms.  Rooms in the US are usually larger, in my experience. 

I also think a used pair of Klipsch Forte speakers would work pretty well with the Creek. They are very efficient and dynamic and work well with a Creek amp.

neekomax

« Reply #110 on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:03 pm »
I would look at those Soundfield speakers.   If you don't have a large room and are not a bass freak, they look like a very cool design for the money.  The only thing that scares me about these speakers is the designer doesn't publish any measurements or mention anything about the design of the crossover.  This is not uncommon, but I like to see measurements, especially on a new design.   

I have these, and I can tell you, whatever the crossover design is, it works. These things are amazing. Jackman, you mention bass. I gotta say, these have some of the best bass I've heard in any speaker, floorstander or monitor. Tight and deep, thanks to the dual 300w 8" sealed subwoofers.

AJ provides measurements for the Soundfield Audio Monitor at the bottom of this page: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91026.60

It's a bit of a gamble to be an early adaptor of a new product, but I think I hit the jackpot.

Ok, I'll shut up about my speakers now  :).

jackman

« Reply #111 on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:58 pm »
I have these, and I can tell you, whatever the crossover design is, it works. These things are amazing. Jackman, you mention bass. I gotta say, these have some of the best bass I've heard in any speaker, floorstander or monitor. Tight and deep, thanks to the dual 300w 8" sealed subwoofers.

AJ provides measurements for the Soundfield Audio Monitor at the bottom of this page: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91026.60

It's a bit of a gamble to be an early adaptor of a new product, but I think I hit the jackpot.

Ok, I'll shut up about my speakers now  :).

Thanks.  I was looking on the website and did not see anything.  It's great you are liking your new speakers.  I was just kidding about my earlier comments regarding people posting their opinions.  That's what this site is all about afterall!

Cheers,

J

Saturn94

« Reply #112 on: 5 Sep 2011, 06:47 pm »
I would look at those Soundfield speakers.   If you don't have a large room and are not a bass freak, they look like a very cool design for the money.  The only thing that scares me about these speakers is the designer doesn't publish any measurements or mention anything about the design of the crossover.  This is not uncommon, but I like to see measurements, especially on a new design.....

The specs/measurements can be found the "Products" tab.

http://soundfieldaudio.net/Products.html

Especially considering their size, the bass from these "monitors" is astounding.  They sounded every bit as full range as any floorstander I've heard.  I have no doubt they would have no trouble filling all but the biggest rooms with full range dynamic sound (the demo room AJ had at CAF was not a particularly small room).

I spent a bit of time in the Soundfield room at CAF and every person that came into the room asked if the larger speakers sitting behind the Monitor 1s were playing.  They (and me!) were shocked to find out they were not.  I'm sure AJ got tired of telling everyone it was just the monitors playing. :green:  It got to the point where that was the first words out of AJ's mouth when new visitors entered the room. :lol:

Specs to not do these speakers justice.  They really need to be heard to be appreciated.  At one time AJ mentioned to me that he was considering doing a "speaker tour" so people could audition them in their homes.  I think this is a fantastic idea and hope he's able to make it happen.

jackman

« Reply #113 on: 5 Sep 2011, 07:04 pm »
The specs/measurements can be found the "Products" tab.

http://soundfieldaudio.net/Products.html

Especially considering their size, the bass from these "monitors" is astounding.  They sounded every bit as full range as any floorstander I've heard.  I have no doubt they would have no trouble filling all but the biggest rooms with full range dynamic sound (the demo room AJ had at CAF was not a particularly small room).

I spent a bit of time in the Soundfield room at CAF and every person that came into the room asked if the larger speakers sitting behind the Monitor 1s were playing.  They (and me!) were shocked to find out they were not.  I'm sure AJ got tired of telling everyone it was just the monitors playing. :green:  It got to the point where that was the first words out of AJ's mouth when new visitors entered the room. :lol:

Specs to not do these speakers justice.  They really need to be heard to be appreciated.  At one time AJ mentioned to me that he was considering doing a "speaker tour" so people could audition them in their homes.  I think this is a fantastic idea and hope he's able to make it happen.

Thanks.  I hope they have a tour because I'd really like to hear these.  I've stated before, the design is very well thought out and AJ seems like a good guy who knows what he is doing.  The size is perfect and I like the powered sub.  These little guys would look pretty cool in my office!

Cheers,
J

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #114 on: 6 Sep 2011, 01:23 pm »
Thanks.  I was looking on the website and did not see anything.

:scratch:. The on/off axis is on the product page. Been there for a little while. How recently did you look?

cheers,

AJ

p.s. I need to add more of course. Forthcoming. :wink:

Saturn, you're near the top of the demo list. Parts on order. Patience...can't build them fast enough :D

jackman

« Reply #115 on: 6 Sep 2011, 01:36 pm »
Sorry AJ, I must have missed it. Glad to hear you are selling lots of speakers. Looking forward to hearing them.

JohnR

« Reply #116 on: 6 Sep 2011, 02:07 pm »
What causes that bump up from 7-8k in the 60 degree response? (Just curious)

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #117 on: 6 Sep 2011, 02:29 pm »

Hi John,

The "tangerine" phase shield "blocks" the usual phase cancellation across the inner and outer portions of the dome.
I also need to redo those measurements in smaller increments on a proper turntable...outside...which is not the easiest thing to do in this Florida monsoon season (with a hurricane or two thrown in for good measure) :wink:
Luckily, even drywall has a significant absorption coefficient >8k, so perceptually, it's not as bad as it looks.

cheers,

AJ

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #118 on: 6 Sep 2011, 02:39 pm »
it looks more like the drop-off in frequency to ~6.5k is greater, more than a bump-up.  prolly something to do w/the phase plug.  i'd like to see a 30deg off-axis response; actually, 60deg off axis is pretty extreme, and the drop doesn't seem that bad, considering...

also, aj, you may wanna post a note to your site re: the mic affecting the frequency drop-off >15khz - for those that haven't seen your comment on a/c, they might be concerned...   :wink:

doug s.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #119 on: 6 Sep 2011, 02:59 pm »
it looks more like the drop-off in frequency to ~6.5k is greater, more than a bump-up.  prolly something to do w/the phase plug.
Nope, it's extra dispersion >8k. Here is a typical 1" metal dome (0,30,60 deg), no phase shield:

Note the significant linear drop off axis vs frequency.
Measurements are a double edged sword. I will post more, because I believe they should be mandatory...but they are bound to be mistranslated... :wink:

cheers,

AJ

p.s. now not to hijack this thread, I'll try to answer any tech questions in the SAM1 thread.