US Food Consumption - Data, Trends, and Analysis

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: US Food Consumption - Data, Trends, and Analysis
« Reply #140 on: 27 Jun 2012, 12:14 am »
100 years ago, 1 of 100,000 people had diabetes. Today, it is 1 of 4. If you count pre-diabetes, it is 1 of 3. 75 years ago, 3% of the population had heart disease. Today, it is about 40%.

Grains and sugar are the leading causes.

I agree. The stats for chronic food-related diseases are now so high that our population's health problems threaten to bankrupt us, and some believe it is the biggest problem facing our country right now. This isn't caused just by lack of exercise... although I am sure it's a major factor.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #141 on: 27 Jun 2012, 12:21 am »
You describe an anomoly as I have never seen it happen.  I've been involved in sports since 1966 and never seen this.  We have 120 kids on our swim team, and since we joined in 1994, there has never been a fat kid on it.  For the vast majority of people, simply getting off your ass will solve the problem. 

I objected to the title of the documentary, "The Men Who Made You Fat", because it is irresponsible to otherwise healthy people.  According to the scenario you present, an actual health condition that makes you fat, the documentary also does not apply, because the health condition is at fault, not "The Men".

Question. I assume the kids have a choice about joining the swim team. Do you think some of them self select to not participate?

bhakti

« Reply #142 on: 27 Jun 2012, 12:23 am »
cyanide in moderation will still kill you!  :lol:

The best advice I ever heard was 'If it comes in a box don't eat it.'

Processed food, at best, has very little nutritional value and at worse is loaded with crap your body was never intended to ingest.

schw06

« Reply #143 on: 27 Jun 2012, 12:27 am »
cyanide in moderation will still kill you!  :lol:

The best advice I ever heard was 'If it comes in a box don't eat it.'

Processed food, at best, has very little nutritional value and at worse is loaded with crap your body was never intended to ingest.
Well said. A similar expression I have heard is: If it comes from a plant, eat it. If it's made in a plant, don't.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #144 on: 27 Jun 2012, 12:44 am »
Hmm, I give in depth, detailed answers about how our metabolic systems go wrong and why, and the counter argument I get back is "No, fat people are just too lazy to stop stuffing their f'ing fat faces and get off their fat @sses".  I feel like I'm arguing with children. 

sts9fan

« Reply #145 on: 27 Jun 2012, 01:01 am »
Hmm, I give in depth, detailed answers about how our metabolic systems go wrong and why, and the counter argument I get back is "No, fat people are just too lazy to stop stuffing their f'ing fat faces and get off their fat @sses".  I feel like I'm arguing with children.

You said it best.

Of course, I am no doctor or anything, so take it for what it's worth

Show me an argument and I will find a paper.

kenreau

« Reply #146 on: 27 Jun 2012, 01:02 am »
Actually, it's very easy to argue against those kind of results. First, total cholesterol, LDL, HDL, none of these are good indicators of heart disease risk.  In fact, they're horrible indicators of heart disease risk.  They're wrong near 50% of the time.  So, you're results don't mean much.

I could go on and on and on about why an n=1 sample (of yourself) is meaningless, but I really don't have the time now.

What is your basis for all these dismissive comments?  My results, after only altering my diet for 8 weeks, are meaningful.  I could understand if I was the only one (n=1), but that is not the case.  Have you watched the Forks Over Knives program?

What do you profess are good indicators of heart disease? 

Kenreau

sts9fan

« Reply #147 on: 27 Jun 2012, 01:03 am »
Only thing worse then n=1 is n=2.

OzarkTom

« Reply #148 on: 27 Jun 2012, 01:27 am »

You are right about that.

Here is a Gary Taubes video on metabolic syndrome and cancer. If you limit the carbs, you will lose weight without ever having to exercise.

If you are ever diagnosed with cancer, make sure you go on a very low carb diet. Cancer cells feeds off of sugar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypeI_zhk0g0

werd

« Reply #149 on: 27 Jun 2012, 01:28 am »

I guess it boils down to one of either two things. I assuming here you are a little OW. You can sit there  post graphs and pov  on toxins and bad food. Or you can learn to eat in moderation the right food and start exercising. thats the only way. There are tons of bad foods and there good foods that may not work for you. Find out what exercising works and use it.

You wrote "running isnt great for losing weight" because it makes you hungry. What are you trying to say to people..... don't run?. That makes no sense. Running can be great way of losing weight if it works for you. Just running around posting graphs and making random statements on what you read isnt helping anybody. All it does is confuse a very simple notion of weight loss.... quit eating so much and start exercising.

Tyson

« Reply #150 on: 27 Jun 2012, 01:37 am »
No, I am not overweight.  I am 5'10" and 169lbs, within 4 lbs of my weight as a college athlete.  I used to be overweight for several years.  Cutting calories and "exercising" did not work for me.  That's in stark contrast to when I was younger and thought I was too skinny and couldn't gain weight NO MATTER HOW MUCH I ATE.  Yes, some people cannot put on weight, even if they overeat and don't exercise much.  On the reverse side, there are people that cannot lose weight, even if they eat very little and move around a lot.  I've been on both sides of the coin, so I have direct experience from which I'm speaking here.

If I tell you I cut calories and exercised quite a bit and it didn't work, what do you say to that?  You could tell me I am lying and and I was really still sitting on my ass and stuffing my face.  But I wasn't.  So, how do you account for this? 

In my case (and in many people's cases), cutting calories and upping the aerobics simply does not work.  I know that's hard for you to understand, but it's a fact.  My posts so far have been centered around WHY it doesn't work for a lot of people.  If you want to argue, you need to come up with an answer to this problem.

And it's not just me.  Many, many researchers in the obesity field know this from experience - cutting calories and putting people on a treadmill just does not work.  If it did, the obesity would be cured and we wouldn't be having this epidemic.  But it DOES NOT work for many people and there are specific reasons WHY it does not work.  Insulin resistance would be the main issue that would need to be addressed before significant and permanent weight loss can be achieved.  That's why I referenced the ATOZ diet study, it's one of the most recent studies to show a link between insulin resistance and the inability to lose weight on a traditional diet. 

wushuliu

« Reply #151 on: 27 Jun 2012, 01:52 am »
Okay, clearly there are some folks who should just be ignored and have zero to contribute to this thread. I will try to post my own experience from time to time as I make this lifestyle change. Pretty excited about it. :rock:

Hey Tyson, a little less  :fishing: and more  :hyper: pal! You're excuses are your own!  :roll:

Tyson

« Reply #152 on: 27 Jun 2012, 01:57 am »
wushuliu - you are bad :P

2bigears

« Reply #153 on: 27 Jun 2012, 02:01 am »
 :D  most eat too much and are too tired at the end of the day to walk a mile....i think it costs a weee bit more to eat good. i love the show, dinners,dives and drive-in's....i think that's the name. all recipes start with a couple pounds of lard..ha
     our health care is in dire straits with fat lazy people.ever see a fat bird ????   grocery stores have changed with demand... the inner halls need not even be entered.. the outer walls sell you everything you really need.that's how grocery stores are laid out here in Canada anyway..
    Living here up north you walk amongst  75% people that look like baby elephants.....it really is getting crazy..... :D

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #154 on: 27 Jun 2012, 02:14 am »
Taubes makes an interesting point in Why We Get Fat. It's common to see overweight adults in family groups with malnourished children. The reason seems to be that cheap processed food is not very good for anyone.

OzarkTom

« Reply #155 on: 27 Jun 2012, 02:24 am »
Taubes makes an interesting point in Why We Get Fat. It's common to see overweight adults in family groups with malnourished children. The reason seems to be that cheap processed food is not very good for anyone.

If it has a label on it, don't eat it.

OzarkTom

« Reply #156 on: 27 Jun 2012, 02:31 am »
Back inthe 50's and 60's, diabetes was called the poor man's disease. The poor was usually overweight from eating the cheap bread and potatoes. My family moved aound a lot, and every school that I went to, the poor were the obesed ones.

Cut the bad carbs, and you will never be fat or diabetic. Dr.Atkins was right.

werd

« Reply #157 on: 27 Jun 2012, 02:48 am »
No, I am not overweight.  I am 5'10" and 169lbs, within 4 lbs of my weight as a college athlete.  I used to be overweight for several years.  Cutting calories and "exercising" did not work for me.  That's in stark contrast to when I was younger and thought I was too skinny and couldn't gain weight NO MATTER HOW MUCH I ATE.  Yes, some people cannot put on weight, even if they overeat and don't exercise much.  On the reverse side, there are people that cannot lose weight, even if they eat very little and move around a lot.  I've been on both sides of the coin, so I have direct experience from which I'm speaking here.

If I tell you I cut calories and exercised quite a bit and it didn't work, what do you say to that?  You could tell me I am lying and and I was really still sitting on my ass and stuffing my face.  But I wasn't.  So, how do you account for this? 

In my case (and in many people's cases), cutting calories and upping the aerobics simply does not work.  I know that's hard for you to understand, but it's a fact.  My posts so far have been centered around WHY it doesn't work for a lot of people.  If you want to argue, you need to come up with an answer to this problem.

And it's not just me.  Many, many researchers in the obesity field know this from experience - cutting calories and putting people on a treadmill just does not work.  If it did, the obesity would be cured and we wouldn't be having this epidemic.  But it DOES NOT work for many people and there are specific reasons WHY it does not work.  Insulin resistance would be the main issue that would need to be addressed before significant and permanent weight loss can be achieved.  That's why I referenced the ATOZ diet study, it's one of the most recent studies to show a link between insulin resistance and the inability to lose weight on a traditional diet.

So how did you end up losing all that weight?

Tyson

« Reply #158 on: 27 Jun 2012, 02:57 am »
The weight loss was a side effect of me changing my diet to try to get my heart disease under control.  Cut out the sugar and grains, basically.  I walk every day, but that's a lot less strenuous than the running I used to do. 

Basically I focused on changing WHAT I ate, not so much on "how much" I ate.  Because my goal was not weight loss, it was to get my lipids looking good.  Weight loss was just a very nice side benefit, in my case.

wushuliu

« Reply #159 on: 27 Jun 2012, 03:02 am »
Exaclty. Weight loss is desireable, but it's not the point.