adding a sub

Richard in Idaho

adding a sub
« on: 11 Aug 2011, 07:20 pm »
I have learned a lot here on AC. So thought I would ask this.

Does adding a sub to say Songbirds, or any other speakers, allow the system to be played balanced sound at a higher SPL then the speakers alone. I say balanced because I sure don't want to have the bass so loud that it over powers the rest of the sound as in some of the car systems around.

srb

Re: adding a sub
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2011, 07:44 pm »
Well you can certainly balance the amount of bass with the subwoofer's level control so as not to be overpowering.

As far as playing at a higher SPL than the speakers would without a sub, I would say yes if you high-pass the signal to the speakers so they are not running full range.  If you run the speakers full range, then no, you would be adding bass but the speakers will still reach their cone excursion and power handling limits just the same.

Steve

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2011, 07:53 pm »
Well you can certainly balance the amount of bass with the subwoofer's level control so as not to be overpowering.

As far as playing at a higher SPL than the speakers would without a sub, I would say yes if you high-pass the signal to the speakers so they are not running full range.  If you run the speakers full range, then no, you would be adding bass but the speakers will still reach their cone excursion and power handling limits just the same.

Steve

^ This!  Well said sir.

Richard in Idaho

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2011, 08:27 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I am leaning toward to 'Birds. Save some cash how. I doubt that I would need more bass or SPL, but I could add it at any time.

jd3

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2011, 08:46 pm »
It all depends on how much bass you want.  The Songbirds put out a surprising amount of bass for their size.  I've pushed them pretty hard and never bottomed out the midwoofer.  They play as loud as I want and actually go down pretty deep.  If you don't have a big room they could be the ticket.

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2011, 02:12 pm »
Adding a sub isn't necessarily about "more bass".  You can set the bass to be as balanced or unbalanced as you like.

More importantly, IMO, adding a quality sub extends/smooths the bass response, and lowers bass distortion.  Also, if using a high pass filter on the main speakers, distortion will be lowered in those speakers since they no longer have to handle demanding bass duties.  If using a powered sub, then the amp driving the main speakers also won't have to work as hard, lowering the risk of clipping distortion.

Adding a sub also allows you to place the sub for best bass performance and place the mains for best imaging/soundstage (placement for best bass and imaging/soundstage are rarely the same in a typical room).

Even though my HT2-TLs are very capable in bass, they sound better/cleaner when letting the sub handle bass duties.  The entire system sounds much more balanced and cleaner while also extending bass response when letting my sub handle the bass. :thumb: