Cheaper alternative to Well Tempered Reference?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Cheaper alternative to Well Tempered Reference?
« Reply #20 on: 20 Sep 2011, 10:48 am »
Hi Gopher,
You should be OK with the 103d and the Stogi. The 103d is the high compliance version of the 103. It's not really high cu, more like medium. Denon specs cu at 100Hz, so it doesn't work on the calculators. Good luck with the new set-up.
neo

Gopher

« Reply #21 on: 20 Sep 2011, 01:38 pm »
Very encouraging to hear!  This is the Stogi-S though, but hopefully its still a good match.

I broke my budget by about a hundo buying the deck (shipping) plus I still need to source a counterweight and fluids for the arm/bearing, so its a budget breaker.  But I'm optimistic it will be a good decision and I have a local friend who is very familiar with setting up Kuzma arms (and actually owned this table--but before I knew him). 

I'm quite excited, unfortunately it won't be plug and play ready when it arrives...   

I was a bit disappointed to find out the tonearm cable is proprietary as opposed to RCA or DIN, as I was hoping to continue using my Wywires phono cable there.  Guess I'll hang on to it for another day. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #22 on: 20 Sep 2011, 01:49 pm »

Sell the not needed phono cable, and it is no longer a budget breaker.

8)

PS:  once you hear it you will not care that you spent a few bucks more than you wanted to.     :thumb:

Gopher

« Reply #23 on: 20 Sep 2011, 01:56 pm »
Nah, that was one of the Wywires from the beta test program and the one that sparked my enthusiasm.  I'll be hanging onto that sucker ;)    Besides, judging by my track record, I'm unlikely to own this table forever and I'd regret not having them.

How do you describe the sound of the Stogi S/Stabi S, Sunny?

From what I've read it sounds like its a very laid back presentation and I know your Stogi Ref is on the laid back side--I wouldn't mind a tiny bit more liveliness then that as I know the 103D won't inject that.   

sunnydaze

« Reply #24 on: 20 Sep 2011, 02:49 pm »

I would definitely not call it "very laid back"!  It is warm, inviting and engaging, but quite energetic when the music calls for it.  Nice even tonal balance.  Does a really good job of diminishing surface noise.  Black black backgrounds.  Full weighty powerful bass.  Big open soundstage, with solid images.

IME, these reviews sum it up nicely, and use all the fancy and flowery audiophile approved language that we all love.   :lol:

http://www.avguide.com/review/kuzma-stabi-s-turntable-and-stogi-s-tonearm

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/kuzma/kuzma.html

Gopher

« Reply #25 on: 20 Sep 2011, 03:07 pm »
I didn't mean it as a flaw in the table nor did I mean your townsend/stogi ref were "very laid back"

But I read things like this:  "It’s just that the Stabi S lets the information in the record grooves unfold in a natural way, without imparting even a hint of momentarily exciting, but ultimately fatiguing transient zing. There are more “lively-sounding” ’tables than the Stabi S on the market, but in many cases I can’t reconcile their sound with that of live music."

which lead me to believe its smooth/mellow in character and I'm wondering if the smooth/mellow Denon is too much of a good thing.  Time will tell, I'm excited for sure!

sunnydaze

« Reply #26 on: 20 Sep 2011, 03:53 pm »

I would say that description is accurate, and I consider it a positive!  Who want's zingy and excessive excitement and fatigue?!   

It's character is in line with what I know of your tastes, Fred.  Now, if you add a cart. that leans too much in that same direction, sure you may end up with schnoozy and boring.

You wanna change the balance, use a different cart.  With carts I used, it was certainly lively and exciting enough for my tastes, and often elicited "wows" from those that heard it.

Gopher

« Reply #27 on: 20 Sep 2011, 06:19 pm »
Yeah, thats my thinking.  The more I read, the more excited I get that this may be a very good deck.  Someone on audioasylum was saying it destroyed the new VPI Classic that is getting a ton of focus...  very cool.

sunnydaze

« Reply #28 on: 20 Sep 2011, 06:37 pm »

Have I ever steered you wrong?  You know me, Fred - I always gravitate to the fringey lesser known stuff that stomps the more popular stuff, and does so for less $$.

:lol:    :thumb:
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2011, 08:28 pm by sunnydaze »