SongTowers/SongSurrounds

Monkish54

SongTowers/SongSurrounds
« on: 10 Aug 2011, 09:26 pm »
I ask Jim a billion questions a week and I'm trying to give him a break. In November, (or around there. Hopefully sooner.) I will be purchasing some SongSurrounds.

I can not yet afford the SongTowers that is why I will be purchasing the SongSurrounds first.

I was wondering how the SongSurrounds sound compared to the SongTowers?

R Swerdlow

Re: SongTowers/SongSurrounds
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2011, 11:26 pm »
The SongSurround is the SongTower's little brother.  There will be less bass due to the much smaller cabinet, but at higher frequencies there is a strong family resemblance between them.  The SSIs are an excellent stand alone pair of standmount speakers, and if & when you get SongTowers, they will serve you as rear channel speakers for a HT set up.  If you can't afford getting all 5 speakers at once, starting with a pair of SSIs is a good way to go.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2011, 01:05 am »
SongSurrounds are sweet little speakers and make great satellite systems with SongSubs.

Monkish54

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2011, 01:17 am »
Thanks guys :) anyone else who has an opinion, chime in. Can never have to many points of view! Also any of you ever hear a TagMclaren Calliope bookshelf speaker??

Thanks for replying gents much appreciated!

ricardojoa

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2011, 09:48 am »
My honest opinion is to go with at least the song bird which it will probably come closer to the song towers. I read here in AC some say that the song bird actually image better then the songtower. You pay a litle bit more with the songbird but you dont have to worry about stands, in which if you decide to upgrade, they can work as surround. I just tested my songcenter, although they look very much like the song... the towers sound a whole lot better. Not sure what magic is Dennys doing though :lol: or maybe they are not designed to work in vertical?

jd3

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2011, 09:59 am »
I have both SSI's and Songbirds.  If you have a sub and stands the SSI's will be a great start into the Salk family, but if you want a step up I'd go with Songbirds if you can swing it.  As Richard said, SSI's have the same voicing as the ST's, but without the bass.  You will get similar bass output from the Songbirds as ST's...they just won't go as low, and, as ricardojoa points out, you don't need stands.  And yes, IMO they image better than my ST's did.

ricardojoa

« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2011, 10:05 am »
I have both SSI's and Songbirds.  If you have a sub and stands the SSI's will be a great start into the Salk family, but if you want a step up I'd go with Songbirds if you can swing it.  As Richard said, SSI's have the same voicing as the ST's, but without the bass.  You will get similar bass output from the Songbirds as ST's...they just won't go as low, and, as ricardojoa points out, you don't need stands.  And yes, IMO they image better than my ST's did.
i wonder if the image has anything to do with their configuration TW vs WTW.

jd3

« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2011, 01:11 pm »
Don't know...to me, they just do!

I recently moved and don't have room to set them up, so they are in a closet right now!   Once I find a permanent residence I'll either use them as mains in my 2 channel system or reunite them with the SSI's and songcenter for HT.

Monkish54

« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2011, 02:15 pm »
Well I definitely have something to think about.  :) I may be able to stretch it and buy the SongBird. However, I would like to put a sub together anyway and the extra 400 would help.

Thanks for your help guys. I'll give it some thought.  :D

Much appreciated!

Nuance

« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2011, 07:55 pm »
The SongBirds are great, but since this will be a 5.1 system and your ultimate goal is to put SongTower's up front, just get the SongSurrouds for now.  Or save for the SongTower's right away. 

Monkish54

« Reply #10 on: 12 Aug 2011, 01:35 am »
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm applying for another job today. If I get it getting the song towers won't be such a far off goal.  :green:

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I appreciate all the help that has been given to me. :))

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2011, 01:45 pm »
The SongBirds are great, but since this will be a 5.1 system and your ultimate goal is to put SongTower's up front, just get the SongSurrouds for now.  Or save for the SongTower's right away.

+1