iPod playback through BDP-1?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
iPod playback through BDP-1?
« on: 8 Aug 2011, 04:46 pm »
Hi Folks,

We have been playing around with a feature on the BDP-1 that would allow customers to plug in their iPods (using the 30 pin iPod connector to USB connector cable) and the BDP-1 would see it as a drive and allow you to play your songs.

Good idea?

james

skunark

Re: iPod playback through BDP-1?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2011, 04:55 pm »
If you can work out the licensing with Apple then sure.  It would be a convenience for friends to play music and I can get rid of the Wadia dock and probably replace it with a BCD-1.  :)

SHV

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2011, 06:25 pm »
Yes...where do I buy it???javascript:void(0);

Steve

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2011, 06:41 pm »
Hi Folks,

We have been playing around with a feature on the BDP-1 that would allow customers to plug in their iPods (using the 30 pin iPod connector to USB connector cable) and the BDP-1 would see it as a drive and allow you to play your songs.

Good idea?

james

Not a real benefit to me.

Everything I have on my iPod is already in my collection which will be connected to the BDP-1.

George

terrycym

« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2011, 06:55 pm »
Good idea James, go for it.
Presume you mean the standard sync cable that comes with the Applw device?

Nice to see the functionality just grows and grows.

« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2011, 07:05 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2011, 07:06 pm »
Good idea James, go for it.
Presume you mean the standard sync cable that comes with the Applw device?

Nice to see the functionality just grows and grows.

Yes the cable that comes with it.  The iPod shows up on your interface as IPOD and when you click on it - it lists the Artists /Albums etc..

james

Alpha10

« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2011, 07:35 pm »
Yes the cable that comes with it.  The iPod shows up on your interface as IPOD and when you click on it - it lists the Artists /Albums etc..

james

That sounds like a very good idea. Does the BDP read the data off the iPod as if it were just a drive then?

Are we going to see a little Bryston branded dock, so we don't have errant cables just lying around?

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2011, 07:38 pm »
That sounds like a very good idea. Does the BDP read the data off the iPod as if it were just a drive then?

Are we going to see a little Bryston branded dock, so we don't have errant cables just lying around?

Cheers

I guess a 'dock' is something we could look at or maybe just an iPod 'stand' that would have a cable permanently connected?

james

Alpha10

« Reply #8 on: 8 Aug 2011, 07:42 pm »
I guess a 'dock' is something we could look at or maybe just an iPod 'stand' that would have a cable permanently connected?

james

I think that is all it needs, those of us with young kids (IMHO) don't like having leads just drapped around the kit, you never know!

Cheers

saveloy

« Reply #9 on: 8 Aug 2011, 08:15 pm »
I like the idea, James.  If friends come round with their iPods, they can play their own tunes. 
It could make for a great party piece.

Kyri

Marius

« Reply #10 on: 9 Aug 2011, 07:12 am »
Hi James,

Sure that's a good idea. Although George might be right about his collection already on the HDD.
Maybe you'd have a look at the Marantz app, that has a nice interface to the iPod connected to the na7004 within its own interface. http://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/wizz-app/id388917986?mt=8

Please forgive me for wondering your ways: the BDP is made for pristine audio quality and everything that compromises the ultimate quality of digital processing is left out. And then you add digital radio and now iPod connection, 2 sources that are sub-optimal, to say the least.

I know the iPod/ipad can have lossless or uncompressed music-files, as I have it, but that way they're filled to the brim and they're clearly not designed for that. Bryston's HDD connection does that much better.

Couldn't you try the wired NAS-route instead? Wired for interconnection, USB for interface to the BDP. That way we could have unlimited storage, universal connection and multi room multi apparatus operation. Wireless operation through the MAx/Mini/Mpad/Mpod etc apps.

I wouldn't bother making a Bryston stand if I were you: Apple has a universal dock that works nicely, although you'd have to make sure the BDP sees the iPod through it instead of seeing the dock (the Marantz won't, and because of that has it's own clumsy folding stand for it, which is a hassle, falling over all the time because of the cat eating its way through the cable....).
Another thought on that: it's a terrible sight to have the iPod attached to the front with an iPod cable, and a dangerous one (cat). And I wouldn't like to sacrifice one of the back-usb connections for my iPad, since I need it for a large HDD....

I must say I rather have the BDP display my Chandos USB in the right order, and have a scrolling display, so I can see what I'm playing..... :?

Good luck, (and sorry for my long and diverted thoughts/answer)

Greets!
Marius

ps the party mode on iTunes indeed is a fun gimmick. It relies fully on the convenience of wireless streaming though, which was considered not the Bryston way and reason to start designing the BDP in the first place?...

Marius

« Reply #11 on: 9 Aug 2011, 09:52 am »
Just to illustrate my previous remarks about the iPod stand:

and

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC746LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ&mco=MjAyNDIwNTA

I wouldn't bother making a Bryston stand if I were you: Apple has a universal dock that works nicely, although you'd have to make sure the BDP sees the iPod through it instead of seeing the dock (the Marantz won't, and because of that has it's own clumsy folding stand for it, which is a hassle, falling over all the time because of the cat eating its way through the cable....).
Another thought on that: it's a terrible sight to have the iPod attached to the front with an iPod cable, and a dangerous one (cat). And I wouldn't like to sacrifice one of the back-usb connections for my iPad, since I need it for a large HDD....

saveloy

« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2011, 10:11 am »
James,

I've just read a review of the new Classé CP-800 Pre-Amp.  A very well featured amp with an internal DAC.
The front cover of Hi-Fi Choice magazine says 'the end of CD.  Laptop beats CD player'. 
Head of Sales, Dave Nauber, says that his iPhone sounds better through it than any CD transport.
This product differs from any other I have seen, with regard to streaming.  In that it has a FPGA (field programmable gate array) between the USB microcontroller/receiver and the DAC, as a means of isolating both it and the audio clocks within the pre-amp. 
It's a novel way of trying to make an acceptable job of streaming.  And with regard to the iPhone statement - might I suggest that the Bryston route is surely closer to making that statement correct?

Kyri

Heckler75

« Reply #13 on: 15 Aug 2011, 02:50 am »
would  be Cool, to add  Ipod/Ipad  thru BDP-1   (that is what the Wife says)

something like the Cambridge audio ID-100  dock   (Wife uses  it w/BDA-1)    i'm  sure Bryston would make a killer  ipod/ipad  dock...

Bryston Rocks...   :thumb:

skunark

« Reply #14 on: 15 Aug 2011, 04:02 am »
James,

I've just read a review of the new Classé CP-800 Pre-Amp.  A very well featured amp with an internal DAC.
The front cover of Hi-Fi Choice magazine says 'the end of CD.  Laptop beats CD player'. 
Head of Sales, Dave Nauber, says that his iPhone sounds better through it than any CD transport.
This product differs from any other I have seen, with regard to streaming.  In that it has a FPGA (field programmable gate array) between the USB microcontroller/receiver and the DAC, as a means of isolating both it and the audio clocks within the pre-amp. 
It's a novel way of trying to make an acceptable job of streaming.  And with regard to the iPhone statement - might I suggest that the Bryston route is surely closer to making that statement correct?

Kyri

I auditioned the Classe CP-800 a while back, there's a lot of features packed in that box, but as a pre-amp, you can do a lot better in that price range.   This was a few months back, but the "dealer dreaded" firmware update was expected mid summer for the USB DAC, curious if they delivered the goods.   Not many manufactures can get USB right from the start.

Habs Fan

« Reply #15 on: 15 Aug 2011, 04:13 am »

Hi James,

Please forgive me for wondering your ways: the BDP is made for pristine audio quality and everything that compromises the ultimate quality of digital processing is left out. And then you add digital radio and now iPod connection, 2 sources that are sub-optimal, to say the least.
In my way of thinking adding these to the feature set makes for a more versatile well rounded product without diminishing it's original intent,a hi rez media player of the highest order.I know personally I like internet radio for casual listening for those times when my head isn't locked in a vice while sitting in my listening chair.

I know the iPod/ipad can have lossless or uncompressed music-files, as I have it, but that way they're filled to the brim and they're clearly not designed for that. Bryston's HDD connection does that much better.
The iPod classics with their 120-160g of storage can hold multi thousands of Apple lossless files.Anyone who has heard one of the dock's like the Wadia 170i/171i that can extract the digital data from an i device loaded with lossless files (then send them to a good external dac)will tell you they can sound very good indeed.Through the BDP1 I would expect the same or better.

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #16 on: 15 Aug 2011, 11:32 pm »
I tried to think through the benefit of being able to use an iPod with the BDP-1. It is always a good idea for users to have as many options as possible. On that account alone it makes sense. However, I was thinking how it would work best, which would be to use an iPod for more than just another hard drive. James, is the idea to be able to use the iPod itself, with a wired connection, to control all the play functions? That would be fine for users who don't have use of an Ethernet connection to control the BDP-1 wirelessly. On the other hand, using it only as a hard drive, leaves the less then elegant BDP-1 panel controls, or, rather strangely, a browser to control iPod files from an iPod, or stranger yet, controlling iPod files from an iPad or iPod app, mPad or mPod - wirelessly.

BrysTony

« Reply #17 on: 15 Aug 2011, 11:54 pm »
I have an iPod Classic that I rarely use.  The only use I see for it is as a portable device when you are on the move.  IMHO it has no use in a high end stereo system.  The BDP-1 is an awesome player -- the iPod not so much.

Tony

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #18 on: 16 Aug 2011, 12:30 am »
...could be a reason for some customers to buy a BDP!?! an ipod is probably not made for high end purposes but i think it would be a nice feature. so go for it, James.

al.

c_note

« Reply #19 on: 17 Aug 2011, 06:23 pm »
Guys, a quick note on the Classe CP-800.  I bought one three weeks ago and absolutely love it.  It trounced my previous Pass Labs XP-10.  Opinions differ in this hobby, but I strongly disagree with Skunark's assessment on the Classe's sound quality.  I don't know in what system context Skunark heard the CP-800, or whether the CP-800 was in "analog bypass" mode or applying digital signal processing (tone controls, parametric equalization, subwoofer management, etc.)  I'll just say that the CP-800 combined with a pair of Bryston 7B-SST2 amps is a spectacular combination that performs well beyond its price point.   And, yes, I plug by IPOD classic into the CP-800, and the sound is excellent.  I prefer it to my Oppo BDP-95, which says a lot given the Oppo's reputation.  My next purchase (later this year) will be a Bryston BDP-1, which I'll connect to the CP-800 via the AES/EBU input.  I suspect this combination will be amazing.  I'll report back and let you know...