REL G1 and Company

Audiosmoot

REL G1 and Company
« on: 6 Aug 2011, 06:52 am »
Is this also a space to post about wanting a review? Well if that concept doesn't offend, this seemed the best place after spending the last half-hour searching and reading.

I am looking at buying a REL G1 and would greatly appreciate any advice. Like...nearly 3-large sunk into even a used G1 my first sub ever appreciate.

Even after a good deal of research I still have plenty of questions, but (a) most of those might be answered shortly after a talk to a dealer, so I'll wait before unpacking my baggage on you, and (b) I don't want to bias what commentary you might make--just like to hear it clean of my input before I throw my own impressions into the mix.

So it's looking to be a decision between the REL G1 (or the REL G2 if I'm patient...doubtful  :wink:)
...or the Velodyne DD+/JLA Fathom (they seem so close it would prob just come down to best used-price)
...or (wildcards here) Legacy Audio Xtreme HD, Krell Resolution Subwoofer, Dali Euphonia AS-2.

Throw-down your opinions, por favor! And while I acknowledge the ambiguity innate in the subjective experience that listening is...Know that I'm the analytical-intellect type and appreciate the best explanations you can give me over sheer votes. One well-thought out, fully expressed, articulated and elucidated opinion wins over a chorus of support ungrounded in some form of illuminating reasoning. In advance: BIG THANKS!  :bowdown:   

Here is the 'in-block' 'signature' I'm going to be using for my first eight posts or so, just so everyone can get to know me. Feel free to ask for more if I've not told you the best factoids:

About me and my system:

I have wanted a real system most of my life, am 32 and am only just now purchasing my first system. Previously I've owned only $250 Walmart boom boxes. I got rid of my car, live above work and with the money I'm saving...Now I have a pair of BG Radia 520s (the original version--briefly dubbed 520DX), a matching 220 center, a pair of Acoustic Technology's Classic Series 3" single-drivers, am looking at a Bryston 2-Speaker Switching Unit and/or a Luxman 3-way (the AS-55), am looking at a REL G1 sub (or Velodyne DD+ or JLA Fathom for the room-correction), have a Cary Audio CAA-1 Amp, am wanting to purchase a Cairn KO-2, am looking at Jungson WG 80watt pure-A Power Amp (also called Hedo and Caprio), am wanting to purchase a pair of EVS balanced ultimate attenuators, am (for now) taking the Audio Critic route of 'Radio Shack philosophy' cabling, am waiting for the Outlaw Audio 978, am considering the Oppo 95 (region/zone free), am considering the HRT Music-Streamer Pro (but the MSII+ just received a major upgrade and it looks like the "pro" will be a step-down until it is likewise upgraded--and apparently the company is in no rush to do so), am looking at a Metrum Acoustics Octave (but really want to wait for a balanced version--I've decided to go balanced from the start), am about to undertake 5-9k in soundproofing equipment to build a room-within-a-room in my apartment (and about 1k in power-tools to do it), am looking at getting some Vienna Acoustics Schonberg speakers, considering a GoldPoint amp and source switch-boxes, stands for my center channel already bought, I essentially have cable-isolators (because the ones I've seen look just like these huge ceramic pieces used on electrical poles--and after Hurricane Ike a few came into my apartment--neat!)...All of this I will be posting about, but here I am.

I have literally nothing hooked-up yet...and won't until more pieces are together, so still not for about 2-3 months. Sucks to wait.

PS: Had a great experience so far purchasing from Matrixdude, Lakenorman and RenoHifi (Mark) both off Audiogon; Just sending out my appreciation!

PPS: I'm not an emoticon guy. Maybe I should get over that already... :green:

Vic

Re: REL G1 and Company
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2012, 08:24 am »
Where are you now with all these ambitious plans? I would think the sub would be the last item to deal with.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2012, 04:47 am »
I thought we had talked you out of building that room.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, you are in the correct circle to ask about enclosed subwoofers.  Hope someone can answer your questions.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2012, 10:05 am »
Measured response of any subwoofer will vary wildly depending on where it is placed in the room.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2012, 02:33 pm »
Sounds like a bunch of money could be saved if you bought a Rythmic sub from Salk instead.