Audioquest cartridge: cantileverless

Carlman

« on: 15 Apr 2004, 08:43 pm »
I have an Audioquest 404 cartridge that is probably about 10 years old.  The cantilever was broken and lost years ago.  I'm looking for any opinion/suggestion as to what to do with it?

It's $400-500 to get it fixed through AQ (and 60 day turnaround since it goes to Japan for fixing).  The Music Man charges a lot as well.  I've never heard it.  I was told it's very nice.  It's a high output moving coil.  

I would think there are cart's out there for for 4-500 that are just as good but maybe not?  Is this a truly special cart that I should hold onto and fix?  Or is it something I should try to sell?  What would someone pay?  I don't mean this as a sales-type post, just trying to understand what I have and whether it's worth holding onto.

Anyway, suggestions are welcome.

-Carl

michael w

« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2004, 04:48 am »
The 404 first came to light in 1983 and was a pretty good HO MC.

There was also a later version that was worse than the original.

:P

Definitely not worth spending $400-500 fixing it.

A modern HO MC like the revised Sumiko Blue Point Special or the Dynavector DV-10X Mk 5 is almost certain to outperform the AQ.

cheers,

hifitommy

cartridge for today
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2004, 04:20 pm »
you dont state whether hou can accommodate low output mc.  if so-the atOc9II should be in high consideration or the denon 103d.  

the clearuadio aurum beta would be on my short list as well for high output mm.  the blue point series would be further back on my consideration due to the regular blue point.  things may have changed drastically but a new pathway would be in order.  

read the reviews on the aurum beta.  

back to mc carts of lo output-check out the Kontrapunkt series from ortofon.

Carlman

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2004, 02:40 pm »
Ok, it's destined to be someone else's project cart.  I figured there was other stuff out there as good or better for the repair cost.

The Denon 103d is very nice.  I may try that one.  In the meantime, I still need to connect a Goldring 1042 to see what that will do.

Thanks for the advice,
Carl