A potentially dumb question....

capwkidd

A potentially dumb question....
« on: 4 Aug 2011, 10:54 pm »
I would love to use a pair of speakers in my living room that are really designed for a room 3x the size of mine...... They are horn loaded. Could I just use a bunch of bass traps to increase the acoustic size of my room?

JohnR

Re: A potentially dumb question....
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2011, 01:34 am »
What speakers are they specifically?

capwkidd

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2011, 02:20 am »
What speakers are they specifically?

Tannoy Westminster's

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2011, 12:09 pm »
What reference is there for the "3x the room size" statement?

The simple answer to the question "can I use treatments to make the room appear larger" is no. Modes occur based on room dimensions, you can dampen modes but not change their frequency.

capwkidd

« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2011, 03:43 pm »
What reference is there for the "3x the room size" statement?

The simple answer to the question "can I use treatments to make the room appear larger" is no. Modes occur based on room dimensions, you can dampen modes but not change their frequency.

I did say it was a potentially dumb question :). Now that you mention it, I could of sworn I once read somewhere about changing a frequency.... Oh well.

I guess the next question is, how much attenuation can I resonably expect from passive/active devices?

I guess I should try some tone sweeps in my room with my sub to see where the modes are..... Try the sub in different locations to find out where they are most prevalent (most likely corners, I would imagine).

Now, the modes are going to be at the frequency of the wall lengths, right? My listening room (AKA living room) has 2 adjoining rooms.... Making it hard to even guess at those frequencies, right?

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2011, 04:25 pm »
A computer measurement system is the best way to evaluate your room modes.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/
Once you have a scan of the frequency response, you can post it here for specific advice about how to flatten it.

You can use ModeCalc to predict and to help analyze the cause of modes that you see on the scan. This can be helpful in finding efficient solutions.
http://www.realtraps.com/modecalc.htm

If the Westminsters have too much bass, there are ways to fix it, but you would be better to pick a smaller Tannoy that matches your room size, like Definition T8. A modern living room is usually one of the largest rooms in the house, so it may not be as much of a problem as you think. If it opens up to other rooms and hallways, and the room is standard wood and wallboard construction then you should be fine with the Westminster. If it is a sealed room (closed doors) less than 2000 cu ft then it might be too much.

If there is too much bass a 1st order line level passive high pass filter would roll off the lows with a resistor and capacitor. You would put it between your preamp and your amplifier, or solder it right into the output jack of your preamp, or your interconnects.  I think marchand makes such filters, but it is so easy, you can diy a filter for yourself, then you will know how to tweak it to perfection.
http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/filters/passiveHLxo.html
Thanks to Dave Dlugos (planet10) for hosting that page.

There are active solutions to attenuating excess bass that would also allow for tuning the bass to match the room modes of the room, like miniDSP.