Budget amp for N2X

Joemamma

Budget amp for N2X
« on: 4 Aug 2011, 05:57 pm »
Recently had a pair of N2X's built for me by Ron and I was powering them by an older Panasonic digital amp but the amp started to malfunction.  My source is a wadia dock for my i-pod and I have been using the digital output (i will have to also get a DAC).  I have a sub that I want to integrate with them (Rhythmik 12).  I have been looking at the Yamaha As-500, the NAD C 326 BEE, and the Outlaw 2150.  I really like the Bass management in the 2150 but I dont know if that will be that big of a deal.  The room is about 12x20.  So I guess my budget is about $700 without the DAC.  Thanks for your support

django11

• Canuckistani
Re: Budget amp for N2X
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2011, 09:40 pm »
I recently got a Virtue 2.1 to go with my N3s.  It is a very simple amp with one input and a sub out.  The sound quality is really great.  Virtue has a circle here.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2011, 10:13 pm »
I have a Virtue TWO.2 and really love it, have the sub out is super handy.....You may have to look used for awhile until they do another run or a redesign, maybe get the new THREE they are getting ready to put up for preorder.

jonbee

« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2011, 10:13 pm »
PS Audio Trio C-100 ICE-power integrated, will drive anything down to 1.5 ohms, very smooth, natural and gutsy. Has pre-outs for subs and a remote. There are good used ones on A-gon for your price. I have owned 3 PS Audio Icepower amps (and N2Xs), and I think they are superb together. The C-100 is a way better amp than you will find in any receiver that I'm aware of, but not as flexible (3 inputs). For a little more yoyu can get a used PS Audio GCC-100, with 6 inputs.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives

alienderivative

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2011, 10:34 pm »
I've owned an Outlaw 2150 since 2007, using it to drive a pair of Monitor Audio RS6's and have no complaints.  It's price is almost unreal compared to its performance.  I haven't heard the PS Audio amp but I would assume it might offer more resolution, but I have been very satisfied with the 2150 and especially the bass management system.  It changes the contribution of the sub in a very constructive way.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2011, 01:31 am »
I've been wanting the RR2150 since they came out.  My Outlaw receiver sounded way more powerful than its ratings suggested.  Outlaw makes terrific sounding amps.  The 2150 is on sale now!

praedet

« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2011, 02:52 pm »
Class-D, either the DIY or new premade...

NeilT

« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2011, 03:27 pm »
Class-D, either the DIY or new premade...

Ditto  +2   :thumb:

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #9 on: 5 Aug 2011, 05:45 pm »
It's a side note to this particular thread, but I have an open-box Onix DAC-25 available at a pretty steep discount that might fit your conversion needs.  When you get to that part of the buying decision shoot me a PM if you're interested.