SS to Tubes

Deftone

SS to Tubes
« on: 3 Aug 2011, 02:22 pm »
SS to tubes and vice versa.Lets see, how many ss migrate to the tubeys.And i am pretty sure no tubeys hardcore will migrate to ss.Please correct if i am
wrong here.May be we can do a poll here.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: SS to Tubes
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2011, 02:34 pm »
Deftone : True that you're probably going to see more migration from SS to tubes but the reverse also happens although it is certainly less common. You'll also see a lot of people who put money on both horses ( like me ) and have a combination of SS & tubes in their systems.
It's all good... :thumb:

D.D.

Deftone

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2011, 02:45 pm »
Deftone : True that you're probably going to see more migration from SS to tubes but the reverse also happens although it is certainly less common. You'll also see a lot of people who put money on both horses ( like me ) and have a combination of SS & tubes in their systems.
It's all good... :thumb:

D.D.

Agree. A ss amp with a tube pre will be a good combo.Actually i am thinking of migrating to the arc pre or may be cary.Still have to go for the audition.

Din

Viajero5000

« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2011, 10:15 pm »
I find broad generalisations difficult to make based on solely on whether a system is tube based or ss based, as either can sound good or bad.  I have one system each of ss and tube, although i did the mixing thing on and off for a few years. I am very happy with both systems in their own right.   Based on sound quality alone, there is really no ss amp out there that can compete with the clarity, dynamic energy, 'holography' and all round musical engagement of my SET amps. However, tubes have a number of operating issues e.g. heat, noise (with old tubes), and a general lack of reliability.  SS is much more reliable and fuss free, and cost of ownership (both initial and ongoing) is cheaper. Ultimately, for me SS is great for driving inefficient speakers and SET for driving efficient ones.         

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2011, 10:57 am »
  Isn't there a lesser control on the lower bass with tubes. It seems to me the better SS amps heave reached a threshold of mid to high smoothness that a few years ago would have been impossible .? :peek:

SoundGame

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2011, 12:26 pm »
I believe the days of tubes are numbered - with advancements in solid state technology moving much faster than those in "tube" technology.  We are a transistorized society and the R&D going into transistors and solid state based electroncis - that is now at the disposal of audio engineers / designers is growing exponentially.

The old solid state / over-feedbacked designs are long gone and the latest in solid state reproduction is a new breed altogether - the SST2 series is an clear example of this. 

Tubes will always have some following but it's not in terms of accuracy to source -as they have inherent distortion, which is misleading.  It's found pleasant to some but is not a reflection of reality but rather a type of quasi-reality where things sound more bloomy, more harmonic, more full than is true.  It's kind of like using a "soft-filter" on a camera.

If you want to truly hear what's on the original source recording - or at least approach that as close as possible - it's hard not to end up going with leading edge solid-state designs. 

BrysTony

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2011, 01:02 pm »
I believe the days of tubes are numbered - with advancements in solid state technology moving much faster than those in "tube" technology.  We are a transistorized society and the R&D going into transistors and solid state based electroncis - that is now at the disposal of audio engineers / designers is growing exponentially.

The old solid state / over-feedbacked designs are long gone and the latest in solid state reproduction is a new breed altogether - the SST2 series is an clear example of this. 

Tubes will always have some following but it's not in terms of accuracy to source -as they have inherent distortion, which is misleading.  It's found pleasant to some but is not a reflection of reality but rather a type of quasi-reality where things sound more bloomy, more harmonic, more full than is true.  It's kind of like using a "soft-filter" on a camera.

If you want to truly hear what's on the original source recording - or at least approach that as close as possible - it's hard not to end up going with leading edge solid-state designs.

But Soundgame, if you are old enough you could have written that 40 years ago.  :)

Tony

SoundGame

« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2011, 01:11 pm »
But Soundgame, if you are old enough you could have written that 40 years ago.  :)

Tony

Yes, agreed - but it wouldn't be from the same vantage point. 

As mentioned, there will always be a tube following - since there are those that prefer looking at the world through "rose-coloured" glasses.  For those that seek 20/20 vision - there is no better answer today then solid state.   

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 4 Aug 2011, 01:18 pm »
Understandable, He has not heard great tube gears in his system.  LOL!  To each his own, some people like to have their food bland tasting.  However, many like theirs with a little taste and spices added.   :D

Don't take those training wheels off just yet.   :thumb:

Tony

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 4 Aug 2011, 01:26 pm »
I think as it was noted earlier people tend to make generalizations.  There are all kinds of products and then one has to consider system synergy too

SoundGame

« Reply #10 on: 4 Aug 2011, 01:31 pm »
I think as it was noted earlier people tend to make generalizations.  There are all kinds of products and then one has to consider system synergy too

Good point Phil.  Yes there are poor solid state and tube designs / implementations.  There are also great ones - and then there are synergies but also personal tastes. 

I have heard "great" tube gear - not the "greatest".  Don't get me wrong - it's not that I don't like it - I quite like the sound and could be captivated in it for the moment - like was said - it is spicy and buttery and lush - and also forgiving in a lot of respects to original poor recordings.  I've also heard great tube-hybrid designs such as ARC. 

When it comes down to it, though I like the sound of tubes, I always find myself asking, what does the recording "really" sound like - it's the analytical in me that dominates over the romantic.  And, I make my way back to solid state and hence, why I'm a Bryston owner.

There are also other concerns:

Bang for buck
Energy cost
Maintenance / tweaks
Warranty
Heat
Noise floor
Safety
Wife acceptance

All the above (and I know this is a generalization) leaning towards solid state designs. 

There is actually a white paper on the Bryston site about this which I read - I'll need to dig that up again.

1oldguy

« Reply #11 on: 4 Aug 2011, 02:43 pm »
Well rest assured I will never buy anther set of  amps  in this lifetime.

sfraser

« Reply #12 on: 4 Aug 2011, 04:42 pm »
My guess is that that tubes will remain just like the vinyl format has remained. Both will always appeal to a certain market.

Cheers

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 4 Aug 2011, 04:53 pm »
I have a 2 box (separate power supply) dual mono tube preamp in the main system.  I would not really describe the sound as stereotypical tube like.  I've seen people sell them on Audiogon and note they are selling it because it sounds too solid state.  I never judge a component based on the technology used.  There are lots of ways to get to the result, whether it is electronics or speakers.  I like good gear and actually like the four systems I have.  Each is a bit different.  I also enjoy things like the Capital Audiofest they just had last month.  Gives one an opportunity to hear many things within a short period of time.  I am somewhat amused by people who either say solid state is no good or vice versa.  I had an interesting exchange with someone (and I've heard their system but they have not heard mine) when I had the current preamp and my Bryston 14BSST who was of the opinion that only tube amps are good and some things may be OK for solid state.  The person also indicated my preamp wasn't bad for solid state (which it is not) and apparently has his system a long time but is not one to go out and hear other things at any point.  To each their own.  I do enjoy listening even when things are not necessarily as I would care for them.  That's why forums like this are great as well, especially when you have companies like Bryston who take a serious interest in their customers.

1oldguy

« Reply #14 on: 4 Aug 2011, 05:04 pm »
Well rest assured I will never buy anther set of  amps  in this lifetime.

You know your old when your quoting yourself.

I should have said that I am quite pleased with the terrific Gear Bryston makes.
That's why I'll never need another set.

Deftone

« Reply #15 on: 4 Aug 2011, 06:10 pm »
Can i say here as a conclusion,that a tubey will always be a tubey and will not migrate to be a solid state.And if there is it will be few and rare.Correct
me if i am wrong.

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 4 Aug 2011, 07:44 pm »
Can i say here as a conclusion,that a tubey will always be a tubey and will not migrate to be a solid state.And if there is it will be few and rare.Correct
me if i am wrong.

I can't say that of 100% of people into tubes.  But I'd have to agree that the vast majority of people into tubes are that way.  I had a friend who worked at a high end shop and for over a five year period (probably late 1990s to early 2000s), I basically did every delivery and install with him (probably around 250 in total) and I went from being more into HT to being more into 2-channel (and my friend went the other way) but I did get to see a lot of systems and meet lots of people into the hobby.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #17 on: 4 Aug 2011, 07:51 pm »

:thumb:

BobRex

« Reply #18 on: 4 Aug 2011, 08:16 pm »
me if i am wrong.

Yeah, but ironically the majority of people currently into tubes started out with solid state.  And many left solid state because there was something lacking.  I have still to hear a solid state system provide the same "sense" of palpability that tubes routinely offer.  This is a priority to me, much more so than "tight" bass or highs that extend to oblivion (both of which I find unnatural).

I sold Bryston years ago.  Back then it was claimed to be technically "perfect".  That being the case, how could anything have been improved?  And yet, upgrades have come and gone.

BTW - all electronic devices have inherent distortion.  Nature of the beast.  Tube people know this, somehow, many solid staters refuse to accept this.

Pez

« Reply #19 on: 4 Aug 2011, 08:25 pm »
Migrated to tubes about 10 years ago and never looked back. However I use a solid state amp to power my woofers in a system that is tri-amped. The mids and tweeters are using SET amps.