Got to try the BDP-1/BDA-1 combo in my system...very nice

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I had a small gathering at my house yesterday and one of the guys (OgOgilby aka Greg) was nice enough to bring over his BDP-1/BDA-1 combo.  We directly compared it to my Modwright Transporter with all upgrades + NOS tubes. 

Let me cut to the chase...the Bryston combo clearly outperformed the Modwright in every way and took my system to a new level!   :o  :thumb:

The Bryston combo had a very black background, which helped it produce a fast, detailed, and authoritative sound, while maintaining a very wide and deep sound stage.  Highs were crisp, detailed, and extended and made the Modwright sound muted and blunt by comparison.  The mid-range was crystal clear and it was easy to pick up all the little nuances and cues in the music we played.  As for the bass...it rocked!!  The heartbeat from the start of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" felt like it was literally shaking my foundation!  And this wasn't one note bass...it had speed, texture, and body.  You could hear and feel the depth of the bass, whether it was in the piano, upright bass, or percussion instruments.   

I thought going into it, that the Bryston combo might be too analytic or thin sounding, (especially since I am big time tube guy) but it wasn't.  I would love to figure out a way to get more than a few hours with the combo so I could further evaluate its performance in my system (hint, hint James).  ;-)

With all of the sonic accolades, there are a few issues on using the Bryston combo in my system. 

I don't believe you can hook up a NAS device to the BDP-1.  I have almost 7000 albums, and the thought of using 3-4 smaller external drives doesn't really appeal to me.  Using 3-4 drives means that I have to use the front usb ports.  Which means I have to see the cables plugged in.  I now this sounds a little silly, but I don't like how that looks. 

The BDP-1 can't output via USB.  While the BDA-1 sounded very nice, I might want to pair a non-Bryston DAC with the BDP-1.  Some of the DAC's that are on my short list sound best via their USB input (we briefly tried the BDP-1 with an Antelope Zodiac Gold DAC - it sounded better on some songs and not as good on others - more on that it a later time).

Overall, I was very impressed with the Bryston combo.  It is very solidly made, is pleasing to the eye, and was easy and straightforward to use.  I was sad to see Greg packing it up at the end of the day.  It took my system to a higher level of performance and showed me that my weakest link is my digital front end.

Here are the components that make up my system:

Vandersteen 5A's in Birdsye Maple
Atma-Sphere MK 3.1 MA-1 amps with all upgrades and NOS tubes on Silent Running Audio platforms
Atma-Sphere MK 3.1 MP-1 preamp with almost all upgrades and NOS tubes on a Sistrum SP-4 rack
Modwright Transporter with all upgrades and NOS tubes on a Sistrum SP-4 rack
Furman Sound IT-REFERENCE 20i power conditioner on a Sistrum SP-4 rack
Pi Audio Uber Buss on a Sistrum SP-1 platform
Speltz Zeros in Birdseye Maple on Sistrum SP-4 platforms
Morrow Audio SP4 speaker cables (two runs)
Morrow Audio SP6 xlr ic's
Kaplan Cable conditioner power cords
Real Traps acoustical panels (8 Minitraps, 6 Tri-Corner traps, 2 Mondo traps, 3 Diffusors)

George

My Main System:

My Main System with the Bryston Combo:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Got to try the BDP-1/BDA-1 combo in my system...very nice
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2011, 11:45 am »
Hi George,

Thank you for your kind comments on the BDP-1 sound - that was certainly our first goal. :thumb: The great thing about the BDP-1 is we can add features going forward with new software so it is still evolving well into the future.

As for the storage issue I am thinking about building a dedicated USB storage unit that would match the BDP-1 Player and BDA-1 DAC cosmetically and it could take up to 4 USB drives which would slot in from the back then a single USB output would plug into the back of the BDP-1?.  That way you could just buy 4 Sata USB drives and they could be configured to be seen as one large drive or 4 small drives or 2 drives mirrored?

Anyway, I have tried a dedicated NAS idea and it works but I just think trying to get the BDP-1 to find and stay connected to the many universal NAS drives is fraught with peril.

Also I may be dead wrong on this but so far I feel the connected drives sound better with the BDP-1 than the remote NAS drives I have tried - yes I know I must be delusional  :scratch: :scratch:

james

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2011, 11:55 am »
James,

Thanks for the reply.

I like your idea on an USB enclosure with four drives...as long as it is cost effective and not substantially more than a NAS solution would be.  I fully understand your dilemma around supporting third party products (I work in the IT Industry).  FWIW, I believe that you are right in trying to stay away form that can of worms.   :wink:

I know you have already answered this in other threads, but what external USB drives are you using/recommending?  Are you going with the prebuilt external drives or are you buying an internal drive and installing it in an enclosure?

George

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2011, 12:02 pm »
Hi George,

I have tried a bunch of 2.5 and 3.5 USB drives (both solid state and rotary) as well as many USB thumb-drives.  Ar this point I would recommend any USB thumbdrive - they all worked well.

For 2.5 drives I would recommend the Seagates. If powered using the USB ports on the BDP-1 I would recommend up to 500GB each of the 2.5 inch drives. If using the 3.5 inch SELFPOWERED USB drives I have used up to 2TB drives.

I have 3 systems at home with 3 BDP-1's so I have a number of combinations of drives connected.

james

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2011, 12:37 pm »
George,

The recommended drives use the Oxford 9XX chipset such as this one: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

and

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2011, 12:42 pm »
George,

The recommended drives use the Oxford 9XX chipset such as this one: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

and

Thanks Jason.

What is supposed to come after "and"?

George

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2011, 12:46 pm »
Thanks Jason.

What is supposed to come after "and"?

George

typo.   :oops:

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2011, 01:49 pm »
George,

Interesting to see how the BDP1/BDA1 fared so well in your system. I've had the BDA1 for a long time, thinking I'd replace it as the DAC technology evolved, but it remains solid in my system to this day. It is really a great piece. I went the a la carte approach to the BDP1 and am also very happy with that solution, though it is a lot of components to manage. The BDP1 is a great execution of an integrated high performance approach. In my case, Alix/AP1/BDA1 also toasted my stock Transporter in the first few minutes of play time comparison. This is really good stuff and very enjoyable to listen to!

Tom

Mag

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2011, 03:50 pm »
Hi Zybar, lovely clean set up you got there!

Will be playing DSOTM shortly with my new SP2 so I can have some idea of what you were hearing. 8)

srb

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2011, 04:10 pm »
As for the storage issue I am thinking about building a dedicated USB storage unit that would match the BDP-1 Player and BDA-1 DAC cosmetically and it could take up to 4 USB drives which would slot in from the back then a single USB output would plug into the back of the BDP-1?.  That way you could just buy 4 Sata USB drives and they could be configured to be seen as one large drive or 4 small drives or 2 drives mirrored?

The storage unit would have an internal SATA to USB interface, so the 4 hard drives themselves are just standard internal SATA drives, not USB drives, correct?

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2011, 04:40 pm »

The storage unit would have an internal SATA to USB interface, so the 4 hard drives themselves are just standard internal SATA drives, not USB drives, correct?

Steve

Correct

james

mr_bill

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2011, 05:13 pm »
Nice System George!

I am looking seriously at purchasing a BDP-1 to use with my BADA which is run staight into my Modwright KWA 150 amp.
Right now I am feeding the BADA with a SB Touch.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2011, 05:21 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys.

George

Mag

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2011, 05:51 pm »
Yep, DSOTM sounds awesome, particularly Money! :thumb:
Playing the sacd hybrid version transferred to cd-r.

terrycym

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2011, 05:58 pm »
Yep, DSOTM sounds awesome, particularly Money! :thumb:
Playing the sacd hybrid version transferred to cd-r.

You want to check out Jazz Side Of the Moon on HDTracks then

terrycym

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2011, 06:05 pm »
Hi James,
I presume that this external Bryston USB drive will be self powered?
Will it have a trigger in so that it powered up with the BDP-1?
Any idea on release data?
An Ethernet connection would be neat too but not as important to me as the first two features.
Thanks,
Terry

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 31 Jul 2011, 06:11 pm »
Hi James,
I presume that this external Bryston USB drive will be self powered?
Will it have a trigger in so that it powered up with the BDP-1?
Any idea on release data?
An Ethernet connection would be neat too but not as important to me as the first two features.
Thanks,
Terry

Hi Terry

Have not started designing it yet as the SP3 has the priority but yes it would be self powered.

James

Nuance

« Reply #17 on: 1 Aug 2011, 03:46 am »
Great write-up, George; thanks for that.  That Bryston combo is pretty darn sweet, and I am happy to hear you enjoyed it.  Pending Jame's upgrade do you see it replacing the Modwright in the future?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 1 Aug 2011, 11:46 am »
Great write-up, George; thanks for that.  That Bryston combo is pretty darn sweet, and I am happy to hear you enjoyed it.  Pending Jame's upgrade do you see it replacing the Modwright in the future?

It is on the short list.   :wink:

George

Phil A

« Reply #19 on: 1 Aug 2011, 01:10 pm »
I love my BDA-1.  I'm using it with a Squeezebox Touch that has an upgraded power supply.  When I get a new computer sometime in the next several months (less than a year for sure) and get more stuff, especially hi-rez stuff, I'll definitely look at a potential upgrade such as the BDP-1.  The system includes a Modwright 36.5DM pre and KWA150SE amp and the Bryston has great synergy.  I actually had a (solid state) modded BDP-83 and I prefer listening via an HDMI audio de-embedder converting SACD to PCM and going through the BDA-1.