'old' BP20 vs. newer BP20/25/26

Alfalfa

Re: 'old' BP20 vs. newer BP20/25/26
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jul 2011, 09:40 pm »
I guess you will never know until you've tried it, but it is a great way to keep the mind at rest. Some amous words in audio seem to be that 'there's no substitute for....yes, power!'

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #21 on: 29 Jul 2011, 09:49 pm »

I guess you will never know until you've tried it, but it is a great way to keep the mind at rest. Some amous words in audio seem to be that 'there's no substitute for....yes, power!'

Alfalfa : Words to live by. And yes, I've tried it and found it to be good. Very good.

D.D.

rbbert

« Reply #22 on: 29 Jul 2011, 10:17 pm »
I have a BP-20 with the MPS-1 power supply (no hum that I can hear).  Is there an advantage to using the MPS-2 instead if the BP-20 is the only product I am powering from it?

SoundGame

« Reply #23 on: 30 Jul 2011, 12:31 am »
I have a BP-20 with the MPS-1 power supply (no hum that I can hear).  Is there an advantage to using the MPS-2 instead if the BP-20 is the only product I am powering from it?

There should be a slightly noticeable improvement in noise floor and in dynamics.  From what I understand, the MPS-2 conditions incoming power a little better.  This though depends on how revealing your speakers and ancilliaries are.

SoundGame

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jul 2011, 01:37 am »
Tony please can you elaborate and expand on this good/logic 3 points plan in terms of the expected budget and how to practically go about the execution. Thank you

I'm not sure on the ability or cost of adding an MPS-1 to a BP20 but it's clear at least that the latter model BP20's can be used with an MPS-1 - I'd recommend contacting Bryston service for a price based on your specific model.

If the decision is to go with a BP25 then just ensure that the model that's purchased has an MPS-1 - used market pricing is between $900 and $1200, depending on age, condition and remaining years of warranty.

BP6 and BP26 models will cost significantly more if buy new.

Hicham

« Reply #25 on: 30 Jul 2011, 02:05 am »
All,
Please educate me to understand the term old BP20 and new BP20.
1.   What is the difference between the two?
2.   What is the power supply of each? i.e. BP PT Vs MPS-1
3.   Are the power supplies interchangeable between both the old and the new without internal modifications?
4.   The MPS-2 specification notes states the MPS-2 is suitable for the BP20. Does this mean the MPS-2 is suitable for both of the Old BP20 and the New BP20?

Thank you

PS. Please, please, please give the respected BP6 a bit of a rest from this discussion

SoundGame

« Reply #26 on: 30 Jul 2011, 04:01 am »
All,
3.   Are the power supplies interchangeable between both the old and the new without internal modifications?
4.   The MPS-2 specification notes states the MPS-2 is suitable for the BP20. Does this mean the MPS-2 is suitable for both of the Old BP20 and the New BP20?

Thank you

PS. Please, please, please give the respected BP6 a bit of a rest from this discussion

I'm sorry but I don't have detailed answers to your questions but think you should provide some additional details.  Do you have a BP20 already or are you just considering one?  Why do you ask all these details - what are your tentative plans you are looking to validate?  I believe the answers can be found but it would make sense to share the why.  Thanks. :scratch:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #27 on: 30 Jul 2011, 04:06 am »
All,

Thank you

If he doesn't get around to seeing this, you might wanna pm or email James.

Hicham

« Reply #28 on: 30 Jul 2011, 12:52 pm »
All good. It's all clear now.

Mr. James Tanner had already answered these questions in june 2009.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68541.0.

Dear Alfalfa, going through the above link may conclude your initial question for options at the start of this thread.

Cheers 

Alfalfa

« Reply #29 on: 30 Jul 2011, 01:12 pm »
Thank you very much Hicham, this information is good news for my BP20 which until know I had considered un-upgradable because it has the older BP-BT power supply.  I actually think that got this awnser from Bryston when the MPS2 came out some years ago, but cannot be sure about this.

Thanks again (although I've now also spotted a 2nd hand BP26+MPS-2 not too far away..).  :wink:

gtaphile

« Reply #30 on: 30 Jul 2011, 01:32 pm »
Thank you Mr. Tanner!  8)

But, do you think the same answer applies to the B20 with old external powersupply vs. the versions with the MPS-1 or -2? Or should I better save some $$$$ + $$$$  :oops: to get into newer generations of the Bryston power amplifiers when looking for more quality?

I suggest, in your case, that line level signals be dealt with first. My experience (with very similar equipment) indicates that a BP-20 versus a BP-25 is a better resolver of detail solely due to the manual VC. The BP-6/16/26 are much quieter than the BP-20/25 series altogether.

Hicham

« Reply #31 on: 30 Jul 2011, 01:41 pm »
Beautiful.
This is exactly the way to go Alfalfa. Keep your options opened towards the upgradable alternatives and away from the Dead End options.

The 2nd point is to take the power out from inside the box and feed with the DC. This is the MPS-1 and then the MPS-2.

The MPS-2 is the most revolutionary step forward by Bryston.
It is about the DC supply to other Bryston components in the future.

At present 1-2 components are benefiting. In the near future we might have a CD player or a DAC being supplied DC from this MPS-2.

This is the very path of the most respected systems without mentioning Brand names.

Cheers

dannyp

« Reply #32 on: 26 Oct 2011, 11:55 am »
The older BP20 with the power switch on the pre-amp is not upgradable. The BP20 with the power switch on the power supply and not the pre-amp is upgradable.

The BP20 I had used the BP-PT power supply and had the power on off switch on the face of the pre-amp.
I sold it and purchased a BP-25 with a MPS-1 power supply and I assure you the difference is substantial, even on my modest system.
I can get into the particulars if you like?
If you have the early BP-20 (which still sounds great in my opinion) it is well worth the upgrade to the newer version of pre-amps with the MPS-1 power supplies. I can't comment on the differences between the BP-25 and the BP26. I haven't done a fair A B comparison yet.
Good luck and let us know what you do.

Bryston BP-25/MPS-1
Bryston 3B-ST
PSB Stratus Golds
Rega Planet cd player