Alpair 6M or 6P...

JohnR

Alpair 6M or 6P...
« on: 28 Jul 2011, 04:10 pm »
I think I need a pair of desktop speakers.... I am somewhat tossing up between the 6M and 6P. I grabbed a couple of FR screenshots from the PDFs on the MA website, uploaded below. (Perhaps they use the same web developer as Madisound....) I'm a little leary of the "inbuilt BSC" which is very noticeable on the 6M but would like to hear opinions. I am planning to use EQ on the speaker anyway, but of course less is better. I would probably do a straight bass reflex alignment - box sizes work out pretty much the same. I'm mostly interested in clarity across the range, but not obtained by peakiness in the upper range. I read somewhere that the 6P "sounds like paper" - really not sure what to make of that.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: Alpair 6M or 6P...
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2011, 07:13 pm »
I haven't had a chance to listen to either of these yet -- i have just finished up a batch of 6m (and chris is making boxes), and 6p aren't far behind.

I expect 6m to have character similar to the other metal Alpairs. The 6p will be an interesting comparison.

My work has these drivers generally wanting different size boxes. I have 6m in 1.5-3.6 litre boxes, the 6p in 2.5 to something over 5 litres. The 2.5 litre box is able to support either driver with no changes.

What kind of amp?

dave

ttan98

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2011, 12:09 am »
John,

Try these pairs, I built a pair they sound very good to me. The positives are:
1. 88dB @ 4ohm
2. No built-in BSC
3. 4-5litre sealed
4. -3dB @ 80-90Hz
5. Ideal for desktop
6. Medium eff. can be driven by 10watt tube amp.
7. US$80 a pair

I intend to buy another pair. One disadv. I designed a notch at around 8Khz. If interested let me know I will direct you to the person involved.

chrisby

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2011, 10:17 pm »
John;

personally I'd find  "sounds like paper" to be a plus for a near field computer monitor,  but as I've not heard any of the most recent production Alpair drivers, my preference for paper is based on the earlier CSS EL70 (cousin to CHP70)

one thing to keep in mind with any of Mark's drivers is the very generous flanges on plastic composite baskets same sometimes make for a tight fit on small boxes  ( i.e. the A6 flange is 114mm OD, but requires a 100mm ID cut-out)

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2011, 03:39 pm »
Hi - thanks guys, still confused  :)

Buying both would be a bit excessive. My sims seemed to be working well at around 4-5 litres, I wasn't able to see a lot of difference.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2011, 10:20 pm »
I've just got the stock A6P playing (in 4.7 litre mMar-Kel6P). I swapped them into where i had been listening to mFonken with FE127eN. My 1st thot (on 5 min of listen) was a striking similarity.

Chris is coming to grab the treated A6M & A6P this evening, he almost has another set of mMar-Ken6P and the 1st set of CGR dmMar-Ken6M (3.6 litre) done so will have a listen over the weekend.

Note that by my modeling 3.6 litre is as large a box as i would put the 6M in. Using the same kind of alignment 6P will go into a 6.5-7 litre box.

Can you post your modeled curves?

dave

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2011, 12:15 am »
Can you post your modeled curves?

Thanks Dave, will do. Been away from home for a few days, hopefully get onto it again tonight.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2011, 08:04 am »
How much boundary reinforcement do you anticipate? 

Looks like the 6M would be better off with relatively little boundary reinforcement.  Presumably you can also optimize the box size and/or tuning to the room, if needed.   

In my opinion the most important region is 2 kHz to 4 kHz, and the 6M looks smoother to me in that region.  The 6P has a bit more local bumpage at 3 kHz.  (I consider the 30 degree curve to be the most important of the three.) 

chrisby

« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2011, 04:56 pm »
Well, FWIW I'm just more of a sucker for the "sound of" small paper drivers in the near field (as I surmise John plans to use these?)

A quick listen to the 6P in 5.5 liter box at Dave's the other afternoon and to both the 6M and 6P at home last night confirms that impression. Measurements notwithstanding, for very near field (under 4ft in my case) I find the metals a bit too analytical, and the paper more musical.

OTOH, at mid to far field, either are quite acceptable - I have systems with both CSS EL70 (similar to CHP70)- 2 channel music only / EL84 P/P amp, and  and Alpair7/6M -  5.1 surround system with Denon receiver.   

chrisby

« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2011, 09:47 pm »
If still of interest - after another session this past weekend with a range of single driver systems ( Fostex and Mark Audio / Alpair drivers) my impression of the A6P remains - it's closer than before between the metals and papers, but thee latter still edges the former slightly - particularly in very near field.

Either work quite well in approx 5.5 slot ported enclosure  (approx 300H x 173Wx180D) 

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #10 on: 17 Aug 2011, 12:13 am »
ither work quite well in approx 5.5 slot ported enclosure  (approx 300H x 173Wx180D)

The largest i could get away with for my design methodology was 3.6 litre for the metal (the prototype of which Chris was listening to)

dave

chrisby

« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2011, 02:14 am »
paper

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2011, 09:42 am »
Sorry, I dropped the ball on this. I'll get the paper when I put a next order in - because of shipping costs I have to think carefully and "batch" things. I've decided to make a pair of small monitors and a cardioid subwoofer behind me. That's the plan anyway.

chrisby

« Reply #13 on: 29 Aug 2011, 12:44 am »
Sorry, I dropped the ball on this. I'll get the paper when I put a next order in - because of shipping costs I have to think carefully and "batch" things. I've decided to make a pair of small monitors and a cardioid subwoofer behind me. That's the plan anyway.

enjoy whatever it turns out to be 

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: 6 Dec 2011, 11:28 am »
Well, after all that... I've finally just ordered a pair of Alp 7.3s from Dan Archer (AU distributor). I reasoned that they will work well in a simple sealed situation and allow for other more elaborate experiments in future. PLus, I want to hear for myself what the MA FR fuss is really about..

chrisby

« Reply #15 on: 6 Dec 2011, 08:03 pm »
just be sure to follow Mark's recommended gentle break-in routine

and without stating the obvious, a small / simple sealed enclosure won't reveal their full potential

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #16 on: 6 Dec 2011, 09:44 pm »
I've decided to make a pair of small monitors and a cardioid subwoofer behind me.

Could you please elaborate on the cardioid subwoofer, or provide a link to where you have already discussed this, John.

thanks, Russell

JohnR

« Reply #17 on: 6 Dec 2011, 11:25 pm »
and without stating the obvious, a small / simple sealed enclosure won't reveal their full potential

Hi Chris, which enclosure will?

Could you please elaborate on the cardioid subwoofer, or provide a link to where you have already discussed this, John.

Hi Russell, I've not made one yet, but was thinking about a variant on the John K "U frame"- http://www.musicanddesign.com/u_frame.html

chrisby

« Reply #18 on: 7 Dec 2011, 05:56 pm »
Hi Chris, which enclosure will?

Actually there are several in which they shine - depending on application

small footprint  floorstander the Pensil (~1meter tall)

Basic concept - experimentation with aesthetics (but not dimensions)  encouraged

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/pensils/Pensil7s3-map.pdf

back-loaded horn

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/beta/frugel-hornMk3-1v0b-300911.pdf

or bookshelf / stand mount  "monitor", any of the
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/CGR-dMar-Ken73-301011.pdf

and a bit more time consuming build would be either the rectangular or trapezoidal "dMar-Ken" aka "Fonken" - plans from Dave at Planet10

I have Alpair7(first generation) in Pensils and a small vented center channel, and have heard them in several of the others listed - they all have their merits, and it would be very hard to pick just one - fortunately, I don't need to