Fine Dining in Quebec City

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Fine Dining in Quebec City
« on: 27 Jul 2011, 06:20 pm »
The old city at Quebec City is a fabulous place for those who love to wine and dine. We were fortunate to try 5 well known restaurants while we were there. Breakfast and lunches aside (lunch at the art museum was fantastic) here are the 5 dinner courses in the order we enjoyed.

Le Champlain at Chateau Frontenac

Carpaccio, Fine Herb Vinaigrette, Watercress Salad with Grilled Lardoon.
Châteaubriand, sauce béarnaise.
Wine: DOMAINE PHILIPPE GIRARD Savigny-lès-Beaune Les Peuillets 2005

This is the flagship restaurant for the hotel. Rachel really wanted to eat in since we just checked in and it was already 6. I was in the mood for a steak. Actually, I am always in the mood for a steak. Anyway I convinced them to make me a Chateaubriand for one. I originally requested a different wine from the fabulous 2005 vintage but they brought out a 2006 which would not do. I ended picking a wine I didn’t know about except the vintage. It’s not the way to pick a Burgundy but it worked out. Robin liked it. The service was impeccable and you really can’t mess up a Chateaubriand with good red wine. They didn’t. The whole place exuded old railroad baron money atmosphere.

Panache at Auberge Saint-Antoine

Sea Bass Sashimi.
Traditional local Filet Mignon Prepared medium rare Sous vide.
Wine: 2005 Chateau de Pez

This is a very chic place. If Chateau Frontenac is Willard, Auberge Saint-Antoine is Hay Adams – boutique elegance. The restaurant is the same way. Panache has a small but elegant menu. Once again I went for a steak. This time it was because I found a bottle of 2005 Chateau de Pez at a very reasonable price. This unclassified wine is cru bourgeois exceptionnel and the vintage is to die for. So I had to have the wine and a steak was the side kick. Prepared Sous vide, medium rare was a little overdone for me because I really like mine medium rare/rare. I think I order rare if I know it’s Sous vide. I just didn’t expect a tender cut to be slow cooked. The wine needed a little air but the pairing eventually worked out quite well. The waiting staff and the Sommelier were very good in the old world formal way. I liked that.

Toast at Le Priori Hotel

Seared foie gras with Sheppard’s pie of Jerusalem artichokes, Comfit duck and long pepper and Banyuls vinegar ketchup.
Crispy crab “Acarajé” with Aïoli, green onion, Smoked salmon, Orange fennel salad.
Red tuna sashimi with Mashed Jerusalem artichokes, Pancetta bacon, Candied lemon zests.
Québec asparagus and scallops with Cheese gratin « El Nino », Tartuffade and xérès dressing, Egg yolk and abalone mushroom.
Wine: GUY LARMANDIER Brut Blanc de Blancs Champagne Cramant NV

Following the Washington hotel theme, this would be like the Poste restaurant at Hotel Monaco. Actually I would say this is like a combination of the Poste and Jaleo. Toast does not have entrees. They just have a lot of very eclectic appetizers that you choose like tapas. The serving portion is bigger than Tapas but smaller than typical entrees. They recommend 3 for a meal. I got four. I finally went white and no beef. With such an eclectic menu I thought a nice bottle of bubbly would be good. We started out with a bottle of Laurent Perrier but the bottle was not to our liking – too lean and astringent. We had to send it back. Surprisingly a Blanc de Blanc (Sommelier’s pick) with all Chardonnay worked out great. This was fun dining. The seared Foie Gras just melted in my mouth. The staff was friendly and provided excellent service. The dinner is served in a courtyard with canopies over each table. It was very hip.

Le Cochon Dingue

Ceasar Salad.
Caesar mussel: Mussels in garlic butter, croutons, bacon and Parmesan cheese.
Poutine: French fries, fresh cheese curds covered with brown gravy.
Stella Artois.

After days of Haut Cuisine, it was time for a little proletarian excursion. I was in the mood for mussels and beer and that’s exactly what I got here. Alfresco dining on the sidewalk was nice. We were noting that Canada is not crowed. A place like this in the States would be shoulder to shoulder everywhere. We like it. We are definitely coming back.

Aux Anciens Canadiens

Escargots à l’ail façon.
Les Troi Mignons: loins of dear, bison and Wapiti in Cognac sauce and pink peppers.
Wine: 2005 Bouchard Gevrey Chambertin.

Our last night out it Quebec City. We decided on this place after making sure there would be none meaty items for Robin and Rachel. When I saw the three mignons, I knew I had to try it. What a treat. The owner/sommelier was very apologetic for not having the Pinot Noir glasses. Apparently he came back as part owner after a few years away and the Pinot glasses were not replenished. He promised he would have them and offer us a good Pinot gratis when we come back. The tender loins were delicate and the Cognac sauce was just right to offset any gaminess. This Burgundy worked out just fine.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Fine Dining in Quebec City
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2011, 07:49 pm »
I'm impressed, jealous, hungry, and thirsty all at once.  Got to hand it to you, that's living well.  :thumb:

Meicheng

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2011, 07:52 pm »
I need to lay down after reading those menus/descriptions!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2011, 10:58 pm »
Woodsyi / Rim,

Try some poutin before you go. The humble potato can hardly be done better than that.

It's like tubes and vinyl...not necessary Or outright or outright overkill, but OH so good :wink: