Steep Filters - Strange to prefer Butterworth?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Steep Filters - Strange to prefer Butterworth?
« on: 27 Jul 2011, 02:20 am »
I've got a DCX2496, some OB speakers, a mic and measurement setup, and LOTs of measurements.  I've basically optimized my speakers using a few different crossover points, and a few different crossover slopes (and separate EQ of response for each of these).  What's odd is that from a measurement standpoint, my LR12, LR24, Butt48, and LR48 all sound different from each other, despite the similar FR measurements. 

After a long time of listening and tweaking of each, I find that I like the LR12 settings, the LR24 settings are OK, and the LR48 is terrible sounding.  I figured that I just didn't like the sound of steep filters.  So I stuck with shallow slopes for a long time.  But I've recently played around with the Butterworth 48 slopes on a lark.  And they seem to give the clarity and cleanliness of the LR48 slopes, while keeping the musicality of the LR12 slopes.  Has anyone else noted this type of difference in sound quality when using an active crossover?

JohnR

Re: Steep Filters - Strange to prefer Butterworth?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2011, 03:06 am »
I haven't experimented with crossover slopes and types as extensively as you have. I don't mind the LR48 and overall preferred it to first order, but based on your observations I should try others. I did find that I didn't like steep slopes in the (sub)bass region and have settled on a Bessel filter there. The miniDSP only does 12 dB/octave for Bessel, I keep meaning to ask them about implementing higher order Bessel filters. The interesting thing about the Bessel is that group delay is flattest - I found this made integration easier too.

scorpion

Re: Steep Filters - Strange to prefer Butterworth?
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2011, 06:08 pm »
Tyson,

Strange - I don't think so. I have the same experience as you. I also use the DCX2496. I have gone over to Butterworth48 slopes in my Blindstone OB. I use 48 dB slopes to cross sharp from the IB15 in the 250 - 300 Hz range. You can't go over 300 Hz with this unit witout corrupting human voice. Likewise I HP the Neo3W at 2 kHz with the same slope to be on the safe side with this crossover frequency. Then I also use the same slope for the 6ND430 bandpass.

In comparing Linkwitz-Riley with Butterworth soundwise I subjectively found Butterworth better. I don't know if I think L-R48 sound terrible but I think B48 is more musical. It is not as a dramatic change as when I went from Eminenence Alpha15s to AE IB15 for the bass range.

/Erling
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2011, 08:59 pm by scorpion »