T5 SLR

PTC

T5 SLR
« on: 14 Apr 2004, 02:50 am »
Just replaced an FT Audio LW-1 passive with the AVA T5 SLR.The differences are not subtle.Imaging and sounstaging are way more solid everything is right there.Detail is a strong point of the FT but the T5 is every bit as good.Where the T5 excels is the sound has much more body,not soft and mushy,but extended,solid body.warmer sound ,yes but solid.I am not knocking the FT I think it is a steal,but for a couple hundred more the T5 is really a steal.Passives are sometimes hard to match with power amps.I had plenty of volume with my Bedini 150 which was totally rebuilt into a feedforward class A by bedini but I guess there can be other issues between amp and pre that causes the FT to be inferior to the T5 or maybe the T5 is just that much better.If so I cant imagine how good the T7 is.Definitely not as warm from wht I understand.
   I wonder how the T5 would stack up compared to the Mini Max or the Philly or the IRD purist anyone? Adios,Paul

dvb

FT-LW1 -> T5
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2004, 05:07 am »
Thanks for the comments.  I've been thinking of making the same move.
What is your digital source?  How is the phono stage?

PTC

T5 SLR
« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2004, 05:20 am »
Digital source is Sony 333es sacd with Benchmark Dac1 for redbook,all cabling is Bolder and speaker are VMPS RM-2 with FST.I also have an old Philips CD-80 that I am going to try as a transport.I do not have the phono section option,Paul